Bathroom Sink Standing Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg

Reaction score
So, the bathroom sink was draining slowly. I took apart the trap and tailpipe and cleaned them, but the problem persisted. Next, I snaked the line past the trap. There was very little dirt in the line and the snake ran freely for at least 10 feet. When I assembled the trap it was leaking from where drain connects to the gray tail pipe. So, I replaced the trap and now the problem is worse! Water is standing in the sink.

The sink is the middle fixture with the bathtub to its left (last fixture) and toilet to the right. Both the tub and toilet drain without a hitch, so I am assuming that the main line is not clogged. Lastly, it does not take much water to clog the sink. It's not like the water is flowing to a certain point and then stop draining.

For reference, I attached a photo depicting the old trap and the new trap. Replacing the assembly gave me a water tight drain with no leaks; however, now there is zero drainage.

I am not sure but I believe the standing water problem began when I replaced the drain. Prior to that I believe it was draining slowly. But that could be attributed to the fact that it was leaking at the tailpipe to drain connection.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210321_102259 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    20210321_102259 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210321_135747 - Copy.jpg
    20210321_135747 - Copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Keep snaking, and snake farther in.
Ten feet is nothing.
There is a reason why most sink augers are 25 feet long.
If yours is 15 feet, it is probably a piece of junk.

You also need to snake more vigorously, and go forward and back.
For example, one foot forward, then eight inches back.
While rotating all the time.
And spend time anywhere it feels harder to rotate.

The snake will often punch through a clog, then when you pull it back the clog just closes up.
You need to really beat up the clog.
Advance the snake slowly, but rotate much more than you think is needed.

Your trap and piping is a joke, especially that accordion piece, but that is not causing your sink to hold water.

But if there is a clog further down the line, then shouldn't the bathtub also have not drain?

Also, when I remove the trap, it seems that there is no standing water past the trap, which makes me think that it's a venting problem? But, I am no expert and as such any advice is appreciated.

As for the drain and trap, I am renting and I will not spend more than the minimum to buy a brass trap for a house I don't own.

Last edited:
I always fix things, that way my rent stays flat.

As for the drain mechanism, it is clear. I took apart the tailpipe, stopper and trap and they are all clean. I just took the trap off again and will try running the snake to its end, which is 25'.

There is also a chance that the snake is going the wrong way, behind the wall.

Sometimes it will go up the vent.

Try rotating the snake the opposite direction, if running it in all the way does not work.

I have a feeling you might be right about it going the wrong way, because it is going in with no resistance. Do you think going thru the roof vent might work?

Do you rent a house?

Either way, you should be able to snake it from under the sink.

The roof vent would likely only help you clear the main line, which does not seem blocked now.

Sometimes, giving the tip of the snake a slight bend will help it crawl around a tight spot, or go in a different direction.

Yes, I rent the entire house.

I will try snaking a few more times and if it doesn't work I'll call a professional. I just don't like giving up, I have snaked sink and bath drains and never had such a problem.

The snake is feeding in way too easy.

The good news is that the sink is now draining quicker than it ever has and that my children are flossing; however, the bad news is that they are chucking the floss down the sink drain..

On a serious note, I snaked it again and got a little bit of hairs and floss intertwined. I did not think that so little gunk would clear the drain, but it did. So, while I am glad it worked, I am still baffled as to why.

The drain is probably narrowed by a thick coating of gook.

Try using a weekly dose of enzyme cleaner overnight, at bedtime, when no water is being used.

Drain Defense by Zep is one type of it.

I would try dumping a gallon of good drain cleaner in the drain before paying a plumber in a house I don't own...

I would try dumping a gallon of good drain cleaner in the drain before paying a plumber in a house I don't own...

Stuff can be dangerous, use caution.

Some people end up paying for the plumber plus the cost of the chemicals they bought. But sure, there’s a chance chemicals could work.

If I didn’t own the home, I’d call the landlord and not buy anything.

If I didn’t own the home, I’d call the landlord and not buy anything.

Coming from the other end of that relationship, we would prefer the tenant contact the property management company before doing anything much. (The property we own is 400 miles from where we live.) That said, the current tenant is an HVAC repair guy, very handy, and we wouldn't be worried about him snaking a sink or tub drain. But even so, we wouldn't want him replacing pipes, even if just under a sink. Also, why should he? It is the owners' job to do real maintenance.

Regarding the post by reg about the kids putting floss down the drain - make them stop! That stuff is nylon, so not biodegradable and quite tough. Clearing a ball of nylon string which has formed after snagging on some burr in the pipe could be a big PITA.

It only takes a little hair, especially fine types of hair, to form a mat in a sink drain, and engineering that mesh with floss could only increase its resistance. Especially if they are using Glide floss, drain cleaner won't help.

Back