Am I crazy or is the customer insane?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_2

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a GC and recently had a customer go ballistic on me saying she was absolutely certain one of my tradesmen had used her toilet and splattered his feces all up under the rim of he toilet LID. Let me say that again. THE LID. She went on to say she probably hasn't used that toilet 5 times in the last 8 years so that how she KNOWS it was him. She sent the attached pics as EVIDENCE of his atrocity. I tried to explain to her how hard water when it evaporates from the bowl leaves mineral deposits and also, as delicately as I could explain to her how splattering feces, on the underside of the LID, while it is in a fully upright position behind someone seated on the SEAT and only managing to soil the EXACT 1/4" wide down turned edge defies all known physics. She would not hear of it because . . . . SHE KNOWS WHAT FECES LOOKS LIKE. She wants a new toilet because this one has been contaminated.. Now we've all had crazy customers before, so I'm not asking for a discussion on that . . . but am I off base on the logic of the hard water staining found around the rim of this LID?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• lid 1.jpg
    lid 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • lid 2.jpg
    lid 2.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 1
  • lid 3.jpg
    lid 3.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 1
In that last picture, lid3, it looks as though the "explosion" exited the toilet at the plastic-to-porcelain interface and landed on the wall. Thank goodness the customer isn't seeking a complete remediation of the bathroom itself!

Let us know how this works out and, yes, the customer is insane.

Regarding the stains on the wall it’s probably “surfactant leaching” (look it up) a fairly well known and documented issue mostly with latex paint in a high humidity room. I had the issue for years in my Michigan home and the stains and streaks were challenging to remove. Finally used “Simple Green” and a bit of elbow grease. Eventually they stopped appearing.

Jeez never poop at a client home. Are you crazy? The client demands are surely crazy.

Back