What Brand and How to Remove Caps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Geiger

Reaction score
Unable to remove the caps to change faucet washers without destroying them. Any idea what brand faucet, and how to remove decorative caps? Seems like they should just pop off, but I've tried everything including prying, soaking with CLR, tapping. I am unable to get a knife blade under the caps.

Attachments

• Jetted Tub Faucets.jpg
    Jetted Tub Faucets.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The polished brass caps unscrew counterclockwise. Not 100% on the brand, maybe Kohler. Looks like something wierd they would make.

Thanks, GR. I tried turning by hand. Now that I know, I'll find a way to use more pressure!

What this lift rod for ? Looks like someone used a lavatory faucet for a tub faucet. Crackheads will be crackheads I guess.

6C2D74A4-1F98-47DE-BAA3-A9E01C9DED23.jpeg

It does nothing on this installation, but was aparently intended to operate the drain.

The polished brass caps unscrew counterclockwise. Not 100% on the brand, maybe Kohler. Looks like something wierd they would make.
We have Kohler faucets in our bathroom and I struggled to figure ours out. The cap, or handle in our case, indeed is threaded on. But it is also splined to the valve core. The valve core itself limits how far (90°) the handle can be turned when opening/closing the faucet.

The trick is, rather than unscrewing the handle counterclockwise, you instead hold the handle (the brass cap in your case) to prevent it from turning. And you unscrew the cylindrical brass barrel below the handle down and out of the bottom of the handle by turning the barrel CLOCKWISE. I used a rubber strap-wrench to crack it loose.

Here's what ours looks like. Once unscrewed, the handle just lifts straight off the splined shaft. Then there's a little C-clip that pops off to release the decorative barrel. After that the valve core is exposed and can be removed by unscrewing it.

If yours is a Kohler too, this might be how yours works.

That's interesting Ferdinand. I'll try that technique. Kohler said my faucet is not one of theirs. Thanks.

Let us know when you figure it out. It's always interesting to learn how these things are engineered. :popcorn:

Those faucets look very similar. I'll contact Ambassador and see what they can tell me. Thanks so much, Ferdinand!

Check these out. https://ambassadorfaucets.com/multi-ring/304-M

Their website says, "Discontinued". But maybe there is someone there who can help.

View attachment 45155
Ambassador says the faucets are not theirs, Ferdinand so I will query other manufactures. I have time because the faucet drip is very minor and I need to dig up the front yard and install a shutoff valve on my side of the city's valve before I get too physical trying to disassemble the faucet. Thanks again for your help!

It’s made by Price Pfister

The caps unscrew counterclockwise. Use a flat rubber jar opener to get a grip. Just the very top unscrews, the polished brass part.

Back