What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes. Glad nobody was hurt from that coupling flying off.

One time I was bringing home some 1/4" luan and the guys at the lumber store didn't secure it very well.. (they tied it to the luggage rack on the top of the Expedition). As I was driving 40mph the top sheet bent back and about 4' flew off. Fortunately the person behind me saw it flying up and slowed way down so it didn't hit them. I stopped, got out, and was able to fit the remains inside the vehicle.

Meanwhile, I found a video that refreshed my memory on how to dismantle the flush valve assembly and clean it.

The filter looked horrible. It had blue flakes of something that looked like plastic. Not sure WTF it was or how it got there.
1489146_10152940236185168_7939297116881291513_n.jpg

You can see the sediment in the sink behind it-- fugly green sink....

I cleaned it up a bit and snapped a photo. I scrubbed it out with a toothbrush and removed the dirt from the curved pockets at the top but forgot to get a picture after I was done cleaning it. It wasn't pristine, but it was much better than it was before.
1489146_10152940236190168_7374360513752509069_n.jpg

The good news is, the fix worked!

Wow auto correct? Driving down the shoulder with a trail of flames. She never stopped and I never saw an explosion so it must have put itself out? She must have known something was going on being on the shoulder and all.

Wish I would have thought of it, I kept checking sigalert but nothing ever popped up. It was odd, flames were underneath it and going good.

I had a bunch of clogged toilet calls and they were filled with super huge turds. All different locations, but all turds like the size of my boot! What the hell?! Doesn't anybody poop when they're supposed to anymore?! Sheesh.

I had a bunch of clogged toilet calls and they were filled with super huge turds. All different locations, but all turds like the size of my boot! What the hell?! Doesn't anybody poop when they're supposed to anymore?! Sheesh.

Gravitational effects of the Moon.

Service call for a kitchen drain stoppage. Tenant occupied.
Pulled about 2 pounds of ground up barbequed meet from this trap arm. :eek:
You would think that when the sinks starts filling up because it's not draining you would turn off the faucet. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat a pulled pork sandwich ever again. :(

021 (640x480).jpg

022 (640x480).jpg

028 (640x480).jpg

Service call for a kitchen drain stoppage. Tenant occupied.
Pulled about 2 pounds of ground up barbequed meet from this trap arm. :eek:
You would think that when the sinks starts filling up because it's not draining you would turn off the faucet. I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat a pulled pork sandwich ever again. :(

fugly!!!!!!

Caduceus, that sounds like a service call people would have to make to my house (because of my brother) if I wasn't handy with a plunger and somewhat handy with a snake. Of course, my toilet has a MaP rating of >=1,000 so that mofo can flush quite a bit. Only reason it ever clogged was because the pipes themselves couldn't handle it (I'm sure they aren't properly sloped and vented).

Mr_David, I think some people just don't bother to read the manuals for those garbage disposals. I try to scrape as much food into the garbage (or feed it to dogs or cats) as I can before putting anything in the sink. Having that much meat in the disposal is just irresponsible. I also found that tomato skins don't do well in garbage disposals. My grandmother's disposal clogged and (after making sure it was off) I stuck my hand in there and scraped out a ton of tomato skins that were sticking to things.

Felt really exhausted past couple of days. I'm awake now because I heard a loud crashing sound outside. I went to look but couldn't see anything but mosquitoes, but whatever it was scared the hell out of my dogs and they all ran in. I'll have to go out in the morning and see if I can figure out what it was.

Found out what the crashing sound was.. A HUGE branch from the water oak tree in the front yard.
10982623_648231891976346_7228444011556989033_n.jpg

Looks like that's not the first time a branch has fallen off that tree.

Tomato skins. almost like tossing a plastic baggy in there.

Had a sewer stoppage for a regular customer. Building is about 120 FT long.
4 out of 5 ground floor units effected. Found an end of line cleanout.
NO WAY was I going to drag my equip down that narrow alley.
I used a section of pipe and ran the cable from a sidewalk 6 ft about C.O.
Cleared it at 100 ft out. Ran 150ft

How do you like that kitchen exhaust fan? :eek:

013 (640x480).jpg

005 (640x480).jpg

002 (640x480).jpg

010 (640x480).jpg

Havasu, we were told in the late 1980s by some tree people that the water oak didn't have much more life in it. We have two huge oak trees in the yard. The live oak is closer to the house.

Mr_David, you're right. Several years ago about 1/4 of the live oak tree broke off and fell, hitting the water oak and causing it to drop a branch down on our Expedition (totaled it). The live oak branch fell on the car port and crushed our Honda CR-V. We got a new used Expedition later and then the water oak dropped another branch on our Ford Ranger and totaled it. We got another CR-V (which is the vehicle we use the most now because it gets great gas mileage). We were trying to save up to get another pickup truck so we would have something to haul trash in and such.

Also, I wouldn't want to squeeze through that narrow alley. and man.. vent fan is disgusting.

I think it will be around $15k to treat that tree (and the live oak needs to be trimmed as well-- its branches are touching the roof).

I don't know if the tree can be salvaged. It looked like it was rotten fairly deep in to the trunk. I would prefer to salvage it rather than cut it down. Last time we had the trees serviced, the guy gave us a huge discount for two reasons
1. we were saving the trees instead of killing them; he was from a "tree preservation" company
2. the owner was a friend of my brother-in-law's father and the father called in a favor

So instead of being around $12k it was around $8.7k.

but I bet prices have gone up and I'm not sure if we can get the same tree preservation people out here again because they don't normally operate in this part of the state.

I know I have to be careful about who we hire because the jerkwad the insurance company found for us to cut up the fallen branches and haul them off last time ended up smashing the front fence, running a truck over a water faucet (which was sticking 4-feet up from the ground and was easy to see) and breaking the waterline, and then just left the piles of cut up tree branch in our driveway (and refused to pay for or fix any of the damages they caused). We had to hire someone else to haul the logs out of the driveway and move them to the edge of the property.

Ugh. did not need this right now.. But at least it fell away from the house and not toward it.

Past couple of days I've been visiting a friend in the hospital. On April 1 the tire rod on his truck broke and the wheels started to come off, the truck started swerving and he tried to get it back under control but it ended up flipping and rolled several times (more heavily on his side). He and his passenger both had seatbelts on-- which saved their lives. I think if he'd been taller he would be dead. Airbags knocked some of his front teeth out (or rather, broke them off). They had to use the jaws of life to cut him out of the truck and then had to use a helicopter to transport him to the hospital. His left arm was broken up-- clean through at the bicep and some fingers were broken. He had a massive concussion, fractured C7 in his neck, swelling around the brain, and was generally banged up. Yesterday morning he had surgery and they overdosed him on either anesthetic or pain meds and he didn't wake up until around 9pm. He still wasn't very lucid though. He was uncomfortable and they helped him get re-positioned and then he fell asleep while still holding the little bar they told him to grab on to. Today he was doing better and was able to walk a little bit, but he's sleeping now. One doctor said he might get to go home tomorrow and another said maybe Monday. We'll have to see how he's doing tomorrow.

Back