What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing around on ancestry.com trying to do the family tree. I found it interesting to see male relatives working in a factory at the age of 13. A bunch of people on my father's side worked in a silk mill. And one of my ancestors was named Uriah, but he was listed as "Ugh" in a census. LOL.

Meanwhile, I saw a bunch of cardinals, a crow, and a woodpecker out in my front yard. There were a few squirrels added in to the mix. My dogs broke up the party before I could get a picture.

Just saw this ^

Actually just 1 Golden Shellback crossing in route to Sydney and Auckland.
Oct 10th 1978
I was on a gator freighter on the east coast for 2 years with about 18 months of accumulated sea time, but never got my shell back or blue nose. I'm very jealous. Looks like a good time at the initiation. What ship were you on?

Ok, I confess my ignorance. What is going on in those pictures?

Today I felt well enough to start some major cleaning. My brother finally took the trash bag out of the garbage can in the kitchen (I wasn't able to lift it, otherwise I would have done it) so I was able to pick up more trash and put it in the new bag (because he didn't bother to pick up the stuff that overflowed and he left garbage on the counters and on top of the fridge-- I got beaned on the head by an empty grape juice bottle yesterday). Then I tackled the living room and filled to 33 gallon bags (because there were boxes and bulky containers) with trash. My brother apparently saw those and decided to move them in to the front room and then took credit for cleaning it up. So my mother was all happy and saying that he finally cleaned up. I was like "Uh.. no... but I guess he took the bags out after I filled them." So she paged him on the intercom and then told him it wasn't nice to leave the work for me and then take credit for it.

I also managed to clear up the litterpans (which I admit I'd fallen behind on) and I was going to tackle some cleaning in my bathroom, but my back started hurting so I'm resting it a bit. My oldest female cat and youngest female cat are both snuggled up together on my lap now. LOL. But in a bit I will get up and do some more cleaning. I really should go take a walk before the sun sets though. I need the sunlight, exercise, and fresh air.

Ok, I confess my ignorance. What is going on in those pictures?

When a ship crosses the equator you become a member of the an ancient order of the deep and become a SHELLBACK. When you cross the equator and the international date line you become a GOLDEN SHELLBACK.

Those who previously crossed initiate those who have not. They have to run a gauntlet of disgusting things, kiss the ROYAL BABY"S BELLY and much more.

USS Niagara Falls 002a.jpg

I still keep in touch with Neptune's Baby. Great Guy. He had a welding business in Colorado, but I think his hard days of partying took a toll on his health. He teaches Hunter gun safety courses to kids in the local schools.
They teach the kids up there how to use guns properly. :cool:

Thanks for the answer! Seems kinda fun and entertaining. :)

My uncle was in the Navy-- I'll have to mention the shellback thing to him and see if he's familiar with it.

My father was in the Army and I know they had some odd traditions too.

This morning a cop car rolled up in my yard. Cop started to get out of his car but my dogs charged at him and I ran out and told them to back off and sit and then asked him what I could help him with. He asked if I'd reported a stolen credit card and I said "no" and then he asked dispatch to confirm the address. I told him what my address was and what the address of the people down the street was. He said there is only one street with my street name in the Parish, so it couldn't be another one. But I think maybe it might have been a different spelling. I told him to have a nice day and he went on his way.

I hope he found the right place eventually.

Meanwhile, I did some cleaning in the pantry today (its a walk-in pantry). I really need to go through the shelves and get rid of stuff we aren't going to use and stuff that has expired.

Nice truck, Chris! It reminds me of my vet's truck. He stores some of his tools and supplies in the side parts. He had drawers that pulled out-- one time he left it open and my horse went over and was trying to grab stuff out of it (that horse liked to run off with tools-- he'd grab hammers, paintbrushes, or whatever he could find-- just to be a dick).

I felt exhausted yesterday and it was difficult to move for no apparent reason. Today I feel better, but my back is sore and I can't bend to pick things up-- ok, I can, but my back protests. I think I overdid some of the picking up the other day. I've been trying to clean up a little each day. I was looking forward to going for a walk today, but its raining again.

So I'm sitting here with my oldest cat and youngest female cat are sitting on me. The younger one is content to sit on my lap, but the older one has to sit on my chest and is rubbing her forehead on my face.

Someone sprayed a can of expanding spray foam down a sink drain and I have been dealing with the after effects for weeks. Finally got it 100% clear today

I built a rack for a new to me work truck. Now to do a few more things before it goes into service.

View attachment 7746

hey chris, your pipe rack. we started putting mesh on the front of the pipe racks, to keep from being sued when a pipe zooms off the front because some idiot "forgot" to tie the pipe down.

images %283%29.jpg

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I almost went that route but I stopped the rack at the windshield. On the next I will go all the way to the bumper and put mesh on it.

I drove 70 miles one time with 300' of 4'' not strapped. almost made it.

when i put the brackes on in front of the shop , to turn in..it all slid off the rack....my boss was standing at the front door

embarrassing.....he just turned around and closed the door LOL..

last truck i had, had a basket, above the cab, for fittings, handy as hell

I lost a piece of 12" C900 water pipe in the fast lane of the freeway. I rolled it to the shoulder and kept going. You should have seen the dent in the hood.

I fixed a broken water line out the back door. It had originally been a faucet but it broke off in the winter. I turned the shutoff valve- but the other day I noticed it was leaking below the shutoff. So I cut it off below the shutoff, cleaned it up, put a new shutoff on and then put a new pipe and faucet on. I need to put insulation around it and secure it to the wall next. Meanwhile, my flush valve isn't shutting the water off and I have to play around with it every time someone flushes to get it to stop overflowing into the pipe. I tried removing it, but I couldn't get it out. I know I did it once before, but I can't remember how. I watched another video on how to do it but I couldn't muscle it out. I need to find the original video I watched to see if it refreshes my memory. It's the default flush valve assembly that came with my Toto Drake. In the meantime, we just shut the water off after flushing and the tank has refilled a bit. I'm hoping to tackle that tomorrow.

The 23rd was the anniversary of my father's death so we got some calls from family members. My uncle (my father's older brother) wanted to know how we were doing. He was the one who was in the Navy so I asked him about the shellback thing. He explained it and talked about what they did for his shellback initiation. He said it was back in '76 and that they set up some sort of tunnel and threw a bunch of rotten food inside. They had to crawl through it. He was the first one to crawl through so it wasn't so bad, but apparently some guy threw up so it was worse for the last person through. Then the King Neptune guy had buckets of lard and he crammed lard in people's ears when they went to kiss his belly. He said there was a video of it but its on 8mm film or something. I'm hoping he can get it converted to digital and uploaded.

Last edited:
I had a guy pull me over, He had a 6'' hole in his windshield.

I was going to tell him "to bad so sad" . but he was holding a 4'' coupling in his hand. ..I just pointed at the sign on the door and said call them.....

a 1'' threaded coupling fell off the end of the pipe,
dropped onto the hood, I was doing 60mph, I watched it roll back and forth
on the hood for a good 5 minutes....

Back