Why does my Grudfos Recirculation Pump have Calcium Coming out of the housing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I understand what you are asking SB, or at least I think I do. With a point of use water heater, Yes, I see no reason for a pump. However, with a tankless W/H, you can trick the water heater into believing there is an open faucet by using a closed loop system, and it will heat the water in the pipe. ( A closed system is a recirculation loop for water (or other liquid) where once it is set up and running, no new liquid is introduced into the system.)

They also have a second system, which is exactly what I have here at my current house. By using a small pump, the water is forced through the hot water pipe and with the assistance if a thermostatically controlled bypass valve, is pushed back into the cold water line until it reaches 105 degrees, therefore sending hot water up to the faucet so the water is pretty much instant hot.

Here is the write up about what I was referring to from the Grundos pump folks.

Grundfos Comfort System - Hot Water Recirculation System The water circulation system that eliminates cold water runoff at the faucet using a bypass valve and pump with a timer to control water flow. Hot Water Recirculation - Special Features- The ultimate in convenience is having hot water instantly available at sinks, appliances and bathroom faucets. The elimination of time spent waiting is especially convenient in areas where the installation of low flow showerheads and faucets are required by law. Hot water recirculation improves the efficiency and effectiveness of household appliances including washing machines and dishwashers by having hot water available instantly. Users can save energy by setting the 24 hour programmable timer to make hot water available during peak demand times, such as early morning and in the evening. The recirculation pump can be installed by a certified contractor in two hours. For the average home, hot water recirculation systems generally cost a few hundred dollars, including parts and installation. A wet rotor design for whisper-quiet and maintenance-free operation. Stainless steel rotor cladding and canister construction, an exclusive UP 15 series feature, ensures corrosion-resistance and extended product durability. A low-watt, two-pole motor combined with low-flow performance ensures minimum water heater operating costs, pipe and water heater wear and energy consumption. Significant water (and sewer) disposal savings, retaining the 12,000 to 38,000 gallons of water a typical U.S. home wastes annually waiting for hot water. Some fast-growing counties are making the installation of hot water recirculation pumps mandatory for all new construction projects.

Ok, I understand what you are asking SB, or at least I think I do. With a point of use water heater, Yes, I see no reason for a pump. However, with a tankless W/H, you can trick the water heater into believing there is an open faucet by using a closed loop system, and it will heat the water in the pipe. ( A closed system is a recirculation loop for water (or other liquid) where once it is set up and running, no new liquid is introduced into the system.)
I built a home back in the mid 70's where we circulated hot water from the heater to the farthest hot water faucet and back using gravity and temperature. Sending the hot water down the 1" trunkline to the furthest faucet then tee'd back through a 1/2" copper line to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank. No pump needed.
But, the pipes were well insulated and it was a 82 gallon heater. Using a tankless heater with a circulating pump would (seems to me) eat up an awful lot of energy. Because of the flow, the heater would never shut off without the help of a lot of circuitry.
Is this where we are heading with tankless water heaters?

At my old house, I had a complete new recirc system installed, which was insulated great. I also installed a Navien Tankless water heater, which had a built in pump and a ~ 1.5 gallon reservoir full of hot water inside the unit. All my faucets were instantly hot, and surprisingly only cost me about $21 in natural gas each month.

I really do believe this is the way of the future, but there are still fatal flaws in the system. When you have no power, you have no water with these electronically controlled units. With a tanked water heater, I know I will still have a nice hot shower whether there is a power outage or not.

OK, so they do circulate water with a small tank with a tankless system. I had no idea. Now I know.

I will be going tankless in the very near future. Any recommendations on brands? I will only have propane to power it.

I only know Navien, but have nothing but good things to say about them. They even sent a factory rep to my house to help the contractor set it up correctly.

I will be going over to tankless when we do the kitchen remodel and I will seriously consider Navien.

In real life numbers, I installed that Navien NP-240A in December, 2009. I had one service call to clean the internal filters on it since I did not install any pre-filters. If I had to do it over, I would have installed a whole house filter with it, as it would have saved a $150 service call.

Nah, the cost to replace all of those whole house filters every couple months would have been far more than the service call.

Latest posts

Back