Why does my Grudfos Recirculation Pump have Calcium Coming out of the housing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacepipes

Reaction score
Why is there is there calcium coming out of our hot water recirculation pump?
Should I Fix this?
How?

(Thank You......)

oogOm4S.jpg

The pump is leaking. You need to remove the calcium and identify where exactly it is leaking from. Remember, the little leak today can be a full blown gusher tomorrow. Please remove the calcium and take another pic for us, or just replace it.

I'm still trying to figure out the orientation of the pump in the pic. Which way is up???

Thank you all. Up in the picture is up in real
Life. Here's another picture.
PS- I have never descaled the tankless heater but I was told to asap esp. with the buildup as shown.

IMG_3775.jpg

I'm not a Plumber so I have to ask. What are all the other Do Dads in that picture?

What is really glaring at me is that galvanized elbow surrounded by all that brass. I'm sure that is not good for electrolysis.

Okay so now I really got a question. If that's a tankless unit Why does it need a circulating pump?

I wouldn't mix galvinize with copper. The reaction can work it's way down the system and eat away at pipes in different areas. Galvanized pipe and copper does something funny. You can develop pin holes all over the place. Water quality is a big factor.

Okay so now I really got a question. If that's a tankless unit Why does it need a circulating pump?

A circulating pump, used with a timer, will ensure that you will have hot water immediately from the faucets, without having to purge the cold water from the hot water line. It is a water saving feature for states that want you to reduce your water consumption.

The instant hot water tank is a point of use tank, meaning it is plumbed under the specific sink you want hot water out of. A tankless water heater may be in the garage or side of the house, possibly 50-100 feet away from the specific faucet needing water. That is alot of cold water to deal with before the water gets warm/hot.

So which one is this in the pic? And as mentioned before, why the circulator?

So which one is this in the pic? And as mentioned before, why the circulator?

Instant hot water at fixtures. Navien is the brand I install and it has a circ pump built into the unit. A lot of homeowners confuse a tankless heater with instant hot water.

Instant hot water at fixtures. Navien is the brand I install and it has a circ pump built into the unit. A lot of homeowners confuse a tankless heater with instant hot water.
OK< somebody help me out here. A tankless water heater is fired up by turning on hot water somewhere downstream of the heater. "Right"? So when there is no water being used the tankless unit will be "Off" "Right"? So why the circulation? You would be circulating the same cold water which would be useless.

When in Germany back in the 70's I lived off post and we had little 5 litre heaters at each sink. Instant hot and far more economical than a water heater, but no circulator needed.

Latest posts

Back