what to do? what to do?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sewergas

Reaction score
Doing some research on replacing an angle valve stop for a toilet, faucet, etc., ie Brasscraft ( not a Shark Bite)........what in the hell is one supposed to use for the thread preparation on the angle valve........Brasscraft says on a couple of drops od oil are necessary, other sources say you must use Teflon tape or telfon goop????????????so maybe some can offer an opinion as to what is best at least as far as your experience goes........my choice is the goop out of a tube, easier to apply for me any way. I don't know why a company like Brasscraft would say use oil on the threads on the angle stop although it would make the lock nut go on smoothly but that's about it, seems it does not do much for sealing anything................WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?????? telfon goop=from tube or brushed on from a can.................:confused:

With this being said, I do see how a drop of oil could aid in lubricating the threads in order to get a better squeeze on the ferrule.

I use a bit of silicone grease on the threads, to lubricate them and make them easier to tighten, and also to prevent them from ever seizing up. A little bit of pipe dope under the ring, and on the face of the ring that seals against the body of the stop.

While all of the above are supposedly not necessary, it is the installation policy of the company I work for. I personally have installed thousands of compression stops, all told company wide we have to be in excess of a million, and this seems to be the most reliable method.

Reactions: SHR
I use a bit of silicone grease on the threads, to lubricate them and make them easier to tighten, and also to prevent them from ever seizing up. A little bit of pipe dope under the ring, and on the face of the ring that seals against the body of the stop.

While all of the above are supposedly not necessary, it is the installation policy of the company I work for. I personally have installed thousands of compression stops, all told company wide we have to be in excess of a million, and this seems to be the most reliable method.

yes exactly my thoughts!
thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back