What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the digital pound crypto currency or something?

Mom demanded I go to the store to get her RX last minute. I made it there and got in line 4min before the pharmacy closed (They closed an hour earlier than usual). She was adamant that it couldn't wait until tomorrow. I grabbed some tissues and had to wait in line. Only self checkout and one register were open. Guy in front of me used to work in their automotive department and is friends with my brother. I remember him saying one time he opened the hood and there was an opossum inside. He wrote on the slip all the things he checked and wrote "checked the 'possum: it was pissed" but his boss told him he wasn't allowed to write that.

They only had one of the 3 prescriptions filled so I will have to go back another day once she finds out why the other 2 weren't ready. But for now I'm going to try to get some sleep, if I can get my nose to stop whistling. It's annoying me.

So is the digital pound crypto currency or something?
Yes it's crypto but, to my knowledge, this is the first time a crypto currency has been state-sponsored.

And now for something completely different:

First world problem this: Last night we were watching the Stupor Bowl and, as luck would have it, some drunk idiot went off the road and smashed into a ground mounted power transformer knocking the power out for roughly two minutes. This in and of itself did not bother us because we have the important stuff like the internet, television and audio system on a UPS so we continued to watch without a hitch. The first world problem that I experienced was that the super duper automatic coffee grinder that dispenses exactly 50gm of coffee at the push of a button wasn't on backup power. I hit the switch this morning and ambled off for the morning "constitutional" fully expecting exactly 50 grams of French roast to be ready to be brewed. When I got through doing what I was "dooing", I came back to 12 OUNCES (340 grams) of ground coffee all over the floor! Apparently this fancy coffee grinder loses its "mind" after a power bump.

I still remember there was a site that sold people bitcoin. They paid real $ to get bitcoins through this site and one day they went to log in and everything from the site was wiped except for the word PENIS at the top of the page. The person who ran it took their $ and absconded.

I kept coughing last night. Ran out of cough drops. Finally got into a decent sleep and the dogs woke me up this morning. They were barking at something and staring out the window. I saw 2 big dogs in the yard. I went out to see them-- they look like the ones that have been in my neighbor's yard. One is a blue-eyed white pit bull with some gray-ish spots. Other is a reddish brown mutt. I said "Hello pretty doggies!" and they wagged their tails and came running to me. They wanted to be petted. Red one kept jumping up wanting me to pet it. White one kept jumping on the red one to knock it off of me. I think they were female but they wouldn't hold still enough for me to see. Very friendly doggies. I started walking them toward the front gate to encourage them to go home while my dogs yapped through the window. Princess finally decided to go all Scrappy Doo and came charging out barking at them. They flanked her and were sniffing her. She was barking and growling and trying to be assertive. They put their tails up. I distracted them with pets and then she growled at them. They turned back to her and she suddenly morphed to Scooby Doo and jumped into my arms. She was shivering as I carried her back into the house. I put her in my brother's room so she couldn't go out again. The dogs apparently got bored and left though.

For some reason it made me think of something my dad told me about when he was in Vietnam. Apparently there were also some British soldiers over there. Some guys walked in and heard their accents and said something like "Screw the queen!" (only they used a stronger word than screw) and one of the Brits said "Screw 'er? You can't even approach the bloody b****!" Then they all laughed and had drinks together.

Neighbor's dogs were back today. Princess was losing her mind barking through the window but didn't want to go out. I went out to make sure they weren't finding any cats. I think they went into the woods at the back of my property but I'm not sure. I went back in and asked Fippy if he wanted walkies. He wagged his tail but wouldn't get down from my bed. He then climbed onto some blankets and curled up. He's almost 14 years old so I guess he's too tired or sore today.

It was too damp outside anyway. My plan for today is to relax, do my shoulder exercises, have some soup, and take it easy.

I took measurements in my bathroom, talked to my friend about the plans, looked up materials, called HD to let them know that my order arrived (their site shows it still in transit), went for a walk with the doggies, petted the cow, took out trash, swept the hallway, & brought bottled water to mom's room. I had my brother come in so I could check his height compared to the showerhead and determined it will have to be raised a little bit higher for him to use it. He helped me take the trash out after that.

I was going to clean littberboxes but got dizzy when I bent down so I'm resting now. I'm hoping I'm on the tail end of this stupid cold. Still have mucus to cough out, but not having the headaches anymore.

Today I reported a Schneider Electric APC brand Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) that internally caught fire and smoked to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. I disassembled it and discovered that all 4 of its power transistors fried and caught fire. It has a manufacturing defect, the cooling fan that is supposed to be in it is missing which contributed to overheating. I hope the CPSC takes it seriously and orders a recall.

Bought a crimper tool: https://a.co/d/gscuwIJ

From the very first crimp connection, perfection. In the past, most of the "plumbing" I did was minor repairs around my homes, generally copper, and generally with sweat fittings. Even in modifications, I generally stuck with copper, as that was what was there. If for some reason I couldn't sweat the fittings, I used push fittings.

In the new house here, all is PEX, no copper. Added a couple of outside spigots, was simple enough with a few push fittings and coils of PEX tubing. No reason yet to make a large number of connections. Then yesterday, I helped a friend at his "shed" for the garden club. It seemed like I would either spend a small fortune on push fittings or try a crimp system.

Very pleased with the process.

It was cold and I felt too cruddy to walk today. I keep meaning to eat something but keep forgetting. Been going over the plan for my shower reno with my friend. Trying to come up with material lists, etc. Tomorrow I will work on more cleanup, go over with a notebook to chat with my friend about the plans, doublecheck the material list, etc. I found most of the tools I need and know I have. I will purchase the stuff online and go to pick it up at Home Depot and Lowes on Sunday morning (if my friend is able to get up early enough). Hoping nothing fouls the plans. I'm still sick but I want my damn shower working.

Still need to figure out where my tub spout went.. I think it might be in Moms bathroom. If not, I'll have to search all the drawers in my bathroom.

I got a bunch of stuff cleared out of my bathtub that has been storing things for years. Lifting the dresser out had me exhausted.

Organized stuff a bit and cleared things out of the way to bring in supplies for the bathroom reno. Went to the stores for curbside pickup of supplies. Got my friend some Taco Bell. Got damaged plywood off and got old plumbing removed. Measured and marked for new stuff. Did dry fit of cement board. Got plastic sheets up so cementboard won't touch wood. Got cleaning paste soaking into the flange. Went to Walmart to get food for mom. Currently resting with a massage pad on my back and cat laying over my arm.

Our beautiful, on the outside, LG refrigerator of a little over twelve years old is giving up the ghost for the third time. It was trouble from the get go. When it was delivered, the installers did a fairly good job of installing it but high-tailed it on to their next job without seeing if the thing worked or not. Several hours later the unit was still blowing hot hair exhibiting some sort of cooling failure. The replacement took the vendor, HD, another three days to schedule the delivery of the replacement. Over the next twelve years, the unit experienced two more refrigeration system failures in the form of Freon leaks no covered by the warranty, two ice maker failures also outside the warranty period and a failure of one of the French door closure mechanisms. Yours Truly got the replacement ice makers from Amazon so those repairs were "de minimis" cost wise as was the door part.

As the other LG appliance we have in the kitchen has been an absolute dog as well, a dishwasher in this case that was fond of eating sump/motor assemblies (3), a water inlet valve, and nylon rope assemblies that hook to springs to balance the open door preventing it from slamming down when open, we decided to opt for American and went with a nice GE profile ice box.

On the way out of the store, with lust in my eyes, I stopped by the display of shiny new Weber grills and dreamed of the day when I could hold a proper burial ceremony for the old one we have with the rusted-out lower section, burner assemblies and overall bad performance. The salesman must have ID'ed me as a mark: He sauntered over, leaned in and said, "We've got one more of last year's high end Genesis Smart SX-335 grills left and it's on sale." It was pretty hard to walk away from an almost $700 saving off the original price and Damn the Devil all to hell we walked out with a new grill as well!

Enjoy the Holiday if you are able and so inclined!

At least the new grill will be helpful. I admit, I've stopped and ogled some of the ones I've seen at the stores, but we don't do outside grilling much and it would go to waste. If my dad was still alive we'd be grilling a lot more. He loved to grill stuff.

My left arm is a bit sore today from overdoing it. But, it still has better movement than before. I can almost get it straight up above my head, but not quite. Still can't go too far behind my back. The muscle is tense today so I will have to let it relax. But, I need to clean litterboxes. I let them get too filthy because I was sick and dizzy. So it will be harder to clean them now. Needs to be done. That is my priority for today when I can get myself moving. I kept coughing last night and this morning. Right now my cats are happily stretched out on me and I don't want to disturb them. One of my cats who never walked into my room on her own before started coming in a few days ago and discovered that she loves sleeping on my bed-- particularly on my lap. She and her brother, Gravy Jones are imitating a loose yin yang symbol on my lap.

Curses to the sorry sobs who put all that caulk and adhesive all over the tub. I'm having a hell of a time getting it off. I've got alcohol and a friggin' chisel. Softening it a little with the alcohol and scraping it off with the damn chisel. Surprisingly, it's not doing anything to the finish on the tub. I found that I got stuff off visually but when I ran my hand over I could still feel that crap on there. I'm having to scrape inch by inch. I also found some rust so I will have to hit it with some Rustoleum.

Got up early and scraped the rest of the adhesive off the flange and area where the L-shaped tub trim left residue. Then I scrubbed the rest of the tub down. Pics will be in my thread. Heated a tv dinner up for Mom and am now resting. I was drenched with sweat and now I'm cooling off.

Back