What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the batteries for? I think you mentioned before but my brain is all over the place today.

Hopefully these ones will last awhile. Nice! Reminds me of some of the places on Beachfront Bargain Hunt. If I had to live near a beach, I'd want it to a lake instead of an ocean. Too much chance of storms and flooding from oceans.

I'm relaxing while waiting for my curbside pickup order.

Is that in a boat or something that powers your personal serenity device?

For some reason the website didn't show me the latest post but now I see it's in your golf cart.

We had the refrigerator replaced and, even after taking the doors and the hinges off the new one, it almost fit between the door frame but not without messing up a bunch of paint work. And, by the way, the water shutoff, a 25 y.o. multi-turn unit, didn't shut off the water and the installer got a bath he hadn't intended on taking.

Spent 4 hours yesterday under the sink, trying to flush sediment from my kitchen faucet. I even drained the water heater, using the kitchen faucet as my siphon point, trying to get whatever was clogging it. I even pulled the cartridge, and it was clean, as was the aerator. I ended up just replacing the faucet, and now it all works. I should dissect that old faucet to see exactly where and what was stopping the hot water from flowing?

Sawguy, wow! It's been in the 80s down here. Lady at homedepot mentioned snow and I said "Oh, we don't have snow, its actually hot here" and she said "Oh, I see you're in Louisiana".

Havasu, I saw the picture of the new faucet and it is beautiful! Taking apart the old one to find the clog would probably be a good idea.

Fedex was not delivering my package (my new portable tablesaw). The excuse on their tracking page was that they couldn't find my address. This happened with my Starlink equipment which was not delivered for weeks with the same excuse. With that, I called Fedex and chewed them out. But now they won't let you because their automated system won't let you speak to a live person. After calling several times and trying different menu options, it kept telling me that their business with me was done and the system hung up. I was told that only the sender could confirm the address. So, I called HD and a very nice lady answered and I explained the situation and how agitating the menu was and how they'd been delivering to me for 20 years but sometimes the drivers were lazy and didn't want to come out here. She took notes, read them out to me, and she personally called Fedex to light a fire under their behinds and insist they deliver. She was promised they would deliver today. Now, in the past I have repeatedly told Fedex to leave my packages on my porch. Not on the lawn, not behind my truck, and not on the sidewalk. On the porch where it is covered.

I got this update from them and the driver noted "Left at front door". Tell me, does THIS look like the front door to you?
1677362867034.png
On the lawn & behind my truck. With my messed up arm even getting it on to the sidewalk was a royal pain. I hurt myself getting it to the porch. I left them a negative review complaining about where it was left. If it had been on my porch it would have been much easier to bring in.

Anyway, I will have to go cook for mom soon.

Ooh, I love that pool! Especially the slide.

I decided to start cleaning the damaged boards behind my tub. Didn't like how they felt during the cleaning and decided to tear them down. Started with the weakest boards first. Found a rotted stud behind some of them. I started to get overheated and nearly fell over backwards trying to pry so I'm taking a break. I may need my friend's help to get some of those boards out. I was prying one and fell forward and slammed my chest into the wall when it came loose (I was leaning forward while pushing on the prybar). I want to have the boards pried off by the time my friend comes over tomorrow (if he's able to come over). I may have to go to homedepot to get furring strips bc the local hardware stores will be closed. But, if my friend is busy in the morning, I can go in the morning to get stuff and then work on stuff in the afternoon.

I watched it snow here today. First time in 25 years they say.
Congrats! California has taken a beating, weather-wise, in recent memory. We got a few flakes, precip-related and the human kind, here in NoVA just outside of the "swamp". "Bondo-ed" and repainted the door way through which the installers tried to shoehorn in the new refrigerator. I still have this gnawing itch to pull the reefer out and replace the leaking multi-turn valve with a nice, shiny new quarter-turn.

Went to the dermatologist yesterday for my semi-annual checkup and cryo-freeze session. More lesions on my head than I care to count, ostensibly due to sun damage I sustained as a 'ute', were zapped into extinction. My public service announcement to you and your children are to always wear sunscreen, a hat, and do not worship the golden brown tan that so many seem to love.

On the plus side, medical facilities, at least here in Virginia, are done with the mask mandates as of a couple of months ago and now they are now saying that masks are optional. Also, the US DOE, Department of Energy, has gone on record saying the virus was built in a lab and more than likely released as a result of an accident. Not sure why the DOE and not the CDC has to say this but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get the rest of the boards off bc they are tongue and groove so they locked into the next one below, the solid parts still had big nails in them, and the softer parts splintered apart. I started to pry a board and it would start splitting. It got to a point where it was too sturdy to break off but would not come off the wall. So I put a Milwaukie prybar in my online cart for HomeDepot as well as some furring strips. Friend was up earlier than usual and needed to go to HD for some stud boards. We spent more time in the tool section drooling over tools and tool chests and almost forgot why we were there. The pallet of studs was wrapped in some kind of ties and we didn't want to just cut them (they looked re-usable). Found an employee and asked her for help. She summoned someone who worked in that department to come over. So, we saw the employee coming and tried to wave him over when another guy who got there after us stepping in between & hijacked him. The employee never came back so we had to get different boards. The ones that were loose were not in good enough shape to be useful.

I got new blades for my oscillating attachment, friend got seventeen 2x4s. I helped him load them into the truck, he tied everything down, we stopped to grab food and then ate at his house after unloading the boards. Then I brought him over to help get the rest of the boards off. Had to cut some of them off at the ends and it took awhile. I didn't feel like such a wuss given how hard he had to struggle to get them off. Left the lowest two boards because they were tucked behind the tub and were solid. Measured & friend brought in his miter saw to make some cuts. Got the furring strips and one 2x4 stud that I grabbed (we got a total of 18 but he got 17 of them). Used both pieces to sister up to existing studs and give room for a board to be placed horizontally to be able to anchor the corner grab bar. Used paint stirring sticks as shims.

Friend was too exhausted and overheated (AC still not working) to get to cementboard. I took him home and then went to Walmart to get some food. Gave mom some food and racked out for a few hours. Woke up to Mom calling for help. She tripped over a blanket the dog dragged onto the floor and fell. She had been calling for awhile but I couldn't hear her. She had to drag herself to her door and open it to call for help. I had trouble getting through the door. I got her to scoot back more toward the bathroom and tried to lift her but she yelled at me and wouldn't let me help her. She refused to try anything I suggested. My brother got home and we were both trying to help. My back started hurting so she told me to go lie down. Brother finally managed to get her to turn so her back was to her bed, picked her up by the waist and fell onto her bed. She landed on him and had to roll off onto the foot of the bed but she was on the bed and was able to get her footing again. I saw her walk to the living room a few minutes ago. I'm sure she'll be sore, but she's ok.

Its hot AF now. 90% humidity and 77°F, but it's 85°F in the house. Went to Walmart and did curbside order for some stuff I could not find in the store. The associate told me it got moved to another location. Picked up my brother's RX and some more stuff for working on my bathroom. I will need to get more furring strips to build up the attachment points for the cementboard so it will go in front of the tub flange. The piece of plywood I have outside is too thick I think, but I will have to bring it in later to see.

I cleaned up the rest of the wood debris, vacuumed the tub, measured, & made some marks for stuff. I need to organize stuff better and figure out my plan. I know I want to get more furring strips and I want a 1x4 for the grab bar location.

Went to the dermatologist yesterday for my semi-annual checkup and cryo-freeze session. More lesions on my head than I care to count, ostensibly due to sun damage I sustained as a 'ute', were zapped into extinction. My public service announcement to you and your children are to always wear sunscreen, a hat, and do not worship the golden brown tan that so many seem to love.

On the plus side, medical facilities, at least here in Virginia, are done with the mask mandates as of a couple of months ago and now they are now saying that masks are optional. Also, the US DOE, Department of Energy, has gone on record saying the virus was built in a lab and more than likely released as a result of an accident. Not sure why the DOE and not the CDC has to say this but it is what it is.
The stupidity of my youth has caught up to me once again! The dermatologist didn't like something she saw, biopsied it, and the report came back as cancerous. Not the worst kind of carcinoma (melanoma) which I've had, not the "best" kind of carcinoma (basal cell) which I've also had, but the "in between" one or squamous cell carcinoma which is a first for me. The doc thinks we caught it quite early and the prognosis is good.

Ugh. Cancer sucks, but I'm glad you caught it early. Lost a few friends on various forums and in "real life" to cancer. Hopefully removal will be easy and relatively painless.

It rained last night and was a bit cooler today so it's not as hot. Been researching about AC systems a bit more. Need a new condenser but it has to be compatible with my furnace. Contacted Trane and they essentially told me to pound sand because they don't give info or support to "consumers". Said I had to contact an authorized dealer. Only one in my entire state and its over an hour 30min away. They will not install out here but they will sell to me. Said they can have info for me on prices sometime next week. I'm fully expecting to be told I will have to buy a new furnace as well. This stuff is from 2009 and was installed 2010. Apparently 10 years is how long they last now. My old stuff lasted over 30 years (company that made that stuff went out of business in 1973). I priced out mini-split systems as an option but decided to pass bc it's over $7k just to buy the stuff-- not including installation-- and would require a lot of work and changes to set up.

Apparently my local Walmart doesn't do curbside pickup on Friday & weekends so I had to go into the store to get stuff. Got a selection of instant rice options for Mom & got a food safe storage container to keep stuff out of the packets.

Working on plans for my shower walls. I want to have more reinforcement behind the cementboards.

I didn't sleep well last night after Mom had a panic attack. Got her calmed down but kept checking on her every hour or so. Had some stomach issues from something I ate and ended up sleeping until afternoon. Looked around for things bc I couldn't remember where I put them. Heated up some soup for Mom. Cut some wood with a jigsaw and got the back wall furred out more for the cementboard. It's sloppy but it should work.

I'm debating whether or not I should cook shepherd's pie tonight. I need to wash up the pans (cats knocked them out of the cabinets). Got 3 cats and 2 dogs piled on me right now so they will not be happy campers when I get up.

Put up more shims, tried to reinforce the top to a plastic drawer set (I need to put some tape on it or something to help), and called one of the numbers Trane gave me for AC units. The previous place I called said they'd get back to me and never did. This place I got answering machine but the guy called me back pretty fast and I gave him the model #s. Good news is that I don't need to replace the inside unit and they have a newer model outside unit that is compatible. Compressor alone would have been over $4k. The whole condenser unit with tax and installation is $5741. The have to come up from Lake Charles over an hour away and will have to take the long route bc the closer road is awful to drive on. They can install the unit Monday. So, we put up with the heat through the weekend and then we should be ok.

Latest posts

Back