What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I called the City about water, then got a call back that we're under boil orders for 24 hours.

So today I'm boiling water.

I am making 25 gallons of beer today. 10 down 15 to go. I need biger equipment these 5 gallon batches take forever.

I am starting a pilgrimage to Chris's house.

Wait a minute, they don't like things that are powered by cellulosic not insulation and non air nitrogen, so I don't think I will like the climate there.

But then again, he will have 25 gallons of beer by the time I get there, so it all evens out.

Today I went through the usual routine of feeding animals, giving dog her meds, putting eye meds in cats eyes, etc. Went to the store to pick up some Pepto Bismol for my brother. Picked up some peach yogurt for Mom (they were out the last time I went). Got some other supplies. Picked up mail..

We got some new hoses in the mail so I went to hook them up. One was going to the dog waterer. Even with a washer it was leaking from where it attached to the faucet-- I'm thinking maybe some teflon tape might work for that. Then the stupid waterer started leaking from a joint. Ugh... Maybe the water pressure was too high. I discovered that my cows or horse twisted one of the faucets so it is messed up and I have to figure out whether or not I can fix it.

I went to hook the other hose up for the horse and cows but discovered that the attachment in the automatic fill float thing had rusted and was stuck.

Anyone know what I can put on the end of the hose or in the joint there that will prevent it from rusting so that I can remove it if I need to (without having to ruin the hose-- the metal on the hose shears off and ruins the filler so I have to get new hose and filler)? It's driving me batty.

I keep having the worst luck with hoses. I think I saw something in a catalog that was either rubber or plastic that was supposed to save hoses from rusting and sticking like that.

A hose thread joint is sealed by the washer, teflon tape is not necessary. If it leaks even with a good washer, no gouges in the face of the hose bib, and the female or male hose end is not warped, then something very strange is going on. I use those type of joints to hold in excess of 200 PSI while doing hydrostatic tests all of the time.

Buy hoses with real brass ends, these won't corrode and break off.

A hose thread joint is sealed by the washer, teflon tape is not necessary. If it leaks even with a good washer, no gouges in the face of the hose bib, and the female or male hose end is not warped, then something very strange is going on. I use those type of joints to hold in excess of 200 PSI while doing hydrostatic tests all of the time.

Buy hoses with real brass ends, these won't corrode and break off.

Thanks. I wonder if part of the problem is that my faucets are plastic. I'll have to check to see what sort of ends my hoses have. Maybe I'm putting things on crooked as well. That would explain it leaking out the top where it is connected, but things are also leaking from other spots on some of them. It's frustrating because I've tried replacing washers and such and that hasn't helped.

Fired up my homemade smoker this morning (it's not quite done so don't judge). I have two pork butts on now and will add a bunch of chicken later and a fatty to test it out. looks like I need to invite some people over. Pretty sure I can not eat 20 pounds of meat on my own.

photo (1).jpg

LOL! You guys are always entertaining. :)

Chris, that looks awesome. Btw, is that an outdoor bar area? Do you have more pictures? From what I see of it, it looks awesome.

I like the word awesome. :-D

My brother is paying me to wash dishes for him (he's supposed to wash them) so I've been cleaning the kitchen.

I'm about to take Mom's dog for a walk. She had me talk to him on the phone and tell him he was going for a walk and he started jumping on her because he was so excited.

I've still been procrastinating on the bathroom, but I've been trying to make a plan of action to come up with the best way to proceed on picking up the crap (literally) because my cats managed to make a huge mess in there.

Last edited:
Back