What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine the current draw would be "all that" for a fancy toilet. If it had been me, I would have tapped into the existing circuit feeding the bathroom.
So I reinstalled the old toilet today, and they are returning the fancy toilet back to Wayfair.
Electrician had quoted $1,700 to install the new circuit, not including all the drywall repairs (owner's problem)

I can tell you the next time--if ever--I build a home, it will have:

1. An outlet by each toilet (not for me, but for a subsequent owner; these bidet toilets aren't going away)
2. A separate 20A circuit for EACH bathroom, just for outlets.
3. Bathroom lighting on separate circuit, maybe one for the hallway or bedroom.
4. Ethernet wiring done properly. Too long to explain here.
5. Outlets in each closet
6. Lights in each closet (you'd be surprised)

Just me dreaming.

I don't see Ethernet even being used in 10 years. Everything is Wi-Fi now. I also believe they will find a way to transfer power without wires shortly, so you have to consider this if you were to build a house in the future.

40 years ago, a bidet was only a fancy butt washer for the snobby French people, to help when their servants were busy. Now, everyone wants one. I've never used one, but have a friend who swears by them. We call him "fancy pants!"

The bidet seat attachments work well and are much less expensive than the fancy toilets. Although, there are some expensive attachments that can do all sorts of things. I'm fine with a cold water spray. Bidets are popular in Asia. We had them in Singapore but they were separate fixtures. They are extremely popular in Japan. They have super fancy ones there that play music/white noise to drown out the sounds of people using the bathroom (because apparently they find that embarrassing), air freshener, soap spray, heated seats, different spray types/angles, customizable LEDs, and blow dryers for your butt. Some have remote controls to open and close the seat & lid and others have sensors that will automatically open and close the lid. They also have tech that will analyze your excrement and give a health report. Not sure how that all works. The ones that are heated & make white noise are common in public restrooms according to my brother from when he visited. He stayed in a cheap hotel but it had bidet toilets with a bunch of fancy features. I wouldn't mind slightly heated water, but I don't need all sorts of fancy stuff. As it is, my bathroom will have a shattaf instead of an actual bidet seat. That will make it easier for me to wash the bowl out and rinse along the rim.

Mitchell, I think those are good ideas for house building. If I ever build a house (or have one built), which is highly unlikely, I'd want to have more outlets in places. Our house doesn't have outlets in the hallways and some rooms only have one outlet and others only have 2. My bedroom has 2 outlets total and its a decent sized room. Like 12'x20' (rounding up). A bunch of our appliances share the same outlets.

On the party lines, when we first moved back from overseas in 2001, we started having problems with our phoneline. one day I happened to see my neighbor dicking around with the box for the phoneline down the road. Didn't think much of it. He somehow illegally tapped in to it so he could use our line and not have to pay for his own. Not sure how he did it, but after that we would sometimes not have a dialtone and we could hear the neighbors talking on our line. Our bandwidth on the landline dropped so low we couldn't even get dialup. Dealt with that for a couple of years because Bell South refused to fix it. Ended up getting a 2nd line which worked and didn't seem to be sharing with the neighbor.

Every time I see House Hunters or one of those programs where people are saying they want new builds bc they won't be any problems I facepalm. I watch Matt Risinger's 'The Build Show' on Youtube and he shows houses under construction and criticizes all the things being done wrong. Improper electrical, improper plumbing, things not level, huge gaps, cardboard used as exterior sheathing instead of using plywood, mdf, or densglass. Talked about how you should always try to find out who the builder is and look at their builds in progress (if possible) to see if they have good quality. My sister's house is only a few years old (well, it was when she bought it) and I noticed the bathrooms didn't have vent fans.

So, Tuesday I took my brother to pick up his new glasses and headed straight to the DMV where he renewed his license so he's now able to drive again-- and he can see! He told me he hasn't been able to see anyone's faces since his old glasses broke a few months back. Mom was angry that we didn't stop at Samsclub until I explained samsclub wasn't even open yet and wouldn't be open for another hour & that he needed to go to work early that day. Went and did the curbside pickup yesterday at Samsclub. Stopped at the Chinese place and ate. Then had to grab some stuff from Walmart.

I've got a curbside order with them today for stuff that is hard to find in the store because they are so disorganized.

Still getting sinus headaches but feeling much better. Mom has been feeling worse though. She might have bronchitis so I need to set her up with an appointment. I talked to the Advanced Diabetes Supply people about getting her insulin pump and CGM. I explained that she had some brain damage from the diabetic ketoacidosis and has been finding it harder to handle things and that I'm her caregiver so I have been making calls for her. So they have my number and both of our e-mail addresses to send messages. I am a bit concerned bc Mom expressed to me that she's been having such a hard time focusing, forgetting things and comprehending things that she's not sure she can do her taxes. We'll also need to get a printer to print the taxes bc our stupid HP always says its out of ink or that the ink is not valid or some bs when we try to use it. It's several years old and the ink costs more than a new printer.

I did go for a walk the other day, which made the dogs ecstatic. Weather is currently too cruddy for going out though. Also, our landline seems to be fixed for now and Fedex called the house about making a delivery since the drivers have been getting chewed out for the problems I've had with them. A delivery driver called while I was on my way home and had Mom come out bc he was too scared of the cow to get out of his vehicle. Apparently he didn't know female cows could have horns and Mom had to explain to him that she won't bother him if he doesn't run. She only chases if people run since she thinks they want to play. I used to sort of play tag with her when she was little (before she grew horns) so its great fun for her.

Scheduled curbside order for this afternoon and will try to take out trash and such.

I don't see Ethernet even being used in 10 years. Everything is Wi-Fi now. I also believe they will find a way to transfer power without wires shortly, so you have to consider this if you were to build a house in the future.

40 years ago, a bidet was only a fancy butt washer for the snobby French people, to help when their servants were busy. Now, everyone wants one. I've never used one, but have a friend who swears by them. We call him "fancy pants!"
Wifi S U C K S in most homes, particularly two story homes. I have REAMS of testing data to prove it. Further, the "more data" you need, the higher speed you need (i.e. 5G vs 2G) and the higher the frequency, the less ability for the wifi signal to propagate throughout a home. My 5G signal cannot propagate from upstairs to anywhere downstairs worth a darn and I've done it with four different router and mesh systems.

The fastest speed you can get with a Verizon Home, or T-Mobile Home--both totally wifi, is about 50MB download. My wired service is 600MB. My neighbors's is 1GB. Doing extensive testing of the Wifi signals throughout the house yielded WILDLY different speeds. 500 download at my desk on my iPhone with the router 18" away. Step into the hallway and the speed drops in half. Go a bit further from the router, with two walls, and it's down to 100. That's an 80% attenuation.

For that reason, I have a mesh system, but not a mesh system like most others. I have five routers in the home, all of them connected by ethernet cable back to the primary router. So, no losses. Think about it. If you want to install a mesh system because you have good wifi in one room, and mediocre wifi in another, your secondary or node router isn't going to magically get the signal much better from the primary router than your phone or tablet or TV. I did all this testing for months before I utilized all the wiring in my home for this.

Now, I have full speed at all the routers. Everything we use in the home, phones, tablets, TV, computer, etc. is either hardwired to the router or within sight of one. Thus, we are running at full speed everywhere. Further, to keep "her" happy, NONE of the routers are visible. All tucked away...

The laws of physics apply to radio signals. Ethernet wiring is very cheap. So is fiber.

I have an Arris Router and Orbi mesh system. I pay for 300 MB of speed, but get 360 MB of speed. Way fast enough to have wi-fi from my home 2 streets away, since my car tells me every day when I leave wi-fi conditions.

I was at Verizon on Monday, trying to tell me about the speed and ease of going to a 5G tower for my internet needs. As much as that 5G tower goes down, I do like my hard wired internet as a safe, reliable source.

yeah, my propane is on the back patio now. I still have a can of gas in the garage which is likely more dangerous than the propane tanks. I'll resolve this in a few months when I build my shed. Really looking forward to that.
The house explosion in Sterling, VA, was actually caused by an underground propane tank and not natural gas.

Propang gas is more dangerous than natural gas but they both will go BOOM.

I like to call it propang gas. People look at me funny when I say it, I find it hilarious

Another good one is when customers say “ yea, I have pcp pipe “

Or “ Kroller faucets “ 🤣

True story: Forty or so years ago, I lived in Upstate New York fairly close to a 750 KV transmission line near Rome, N.Y. One enterprising individual decided he'd create an air core transformer just outside the fenced-off right of way to try and tap some electricity from the power "free of charge" without a physical connection to the power line. It worked and for about two years he was able to obtain enough power to run his home. It took the power company two years to "troubleshoot" why their power line was not performing as they had expected. The "transformer" was eventually located, and the guy went to jail for five years for theft.

(I'll never give up Ethernet)

Last edited:
The bidet seat attachments work well and are much less expensive than the fancy toilets. Although, there are some expensive attachments that can do all sorts of things. I'm fine with a cold water spray. Bidets are popular in Asia. We had them in Singapore but they were separate fixtures. They are extremely popular in Japan. They have super fancy ones there that play music/white noise to drown out the sounds of people using the bathroom (because apparently they find that embarrassing), air freshener, soap spray, heated seats, different spray types/angles, customizable LEDs, and blow dryers for your butt. Some have remote controls to open and close the seat & lid and others have sensors that will automatically open and close the lid. They also have tech that will analyze your excrement and give a health report. Not sure how that all works. The ones that are heated & make white noise are common in public restrooms according to my brother from when he visited. He stayed in a cheap hotel but it had bidet toilets with a bunch of fancy features. I wouldn't mind slightly heated water, but I don't need all sorts of fancy stuff. As it is, my bathroom will have a shattaf instead of an actual bidet seat. That will make it easier for me to wash the bowl out and rinse along the rim.

Mitchell, I think those are good ideas for house building. If I ever build a house (or have one built), which is highly unlikely, I'd want to have more outlets in places. Our house doesn't have outlets in the hallways and some rooms only have one outlet and others only have 2. My bedroom has 2 outlets total and its a decent sized room. Like 12'x20' (rounding up). A bunch of our appliances share the same outlets.

On the party lines, when we first moved back from overseas in 2001, we started having problems with our phoneline. one day I happened to see my neighbor dicking around with the box for the phoneline down the road. Didn't think much of it. He somehow illegally tapped in to it so he could use our line and not have to pay for his own. Not sure how he did it, but after that we would sometimes not have a dialtone and we could hear the neighbors talking on our line. Our bandwidth on the landline dropped so low we couldn't even get dialup. Dealt with that for a couple of years because Bell South refused to fix it. Ended up getting a 2nd line which worked and didn't seem to be sharing with the neighbor.

Every time I see House Hunters or one of those programs where people are saying they want new builds bc they won't be any problems I facepalm. I watch Matt Risinger's 'The Build Show' on Youtube and he shows houses under construction and criticizes all the things being done wrong. Improper electrical, improper plumbing, things not level, huge gaps, cardboard used as exterior sheathing instead of using plywood, mdf, or densglass. Talked about how you should always try to find out who the builder is and look at their builds in progress (if possible) to see if they have good quality. My sister's house is only a few years old (well, it was when she bought it) and I noticed the bathrooms didn't have vent fans.

So, Tuesday I took my brother to pick up his new glasses and headed straight to the DMV where he renewed his license so he's now able to drive again-- and he can see! He told me he hasn't been able to see anyone's faces since his old glasses broke a few months back. Mom was angry that we didn't stop at Samsclub until I explained samsclub wasn't even open yet and wouldn't be open for another hour & that he needed to go to work early that day. Went and did the curbside pickup yesterday at Samsclub. Stopped at the Chinese place and ate. Then had to grab some stuff from Walmart.

I've got a curbside order with them today for stuff that is hard to find in the store because they are so disorganized.

Still getting sinus headaches but feeling much better. Mom has been feeling worse though. She might have bronchitis so I need to set her up with an appointment. I talked to the Advanced Diabetes Supply people about getting her insulin pump and CGM. I explained that she had some brain damage from the diabetic ketoacidosis and has been finding it harder to handle things and that I'm her caregiver so I have been making calls for her. So they have my number and both of our e-mail addresses to send messages. I am a bit concerned bc Mom expressed to me that she's been having such a hard time focusing, forgetting things and comprehending things that she's not sure she can do her taxes. We'll also need to get a printer to print the taxes bc our stupid HP always says its out of ink or that the ink is not valid or some bs when we try to use it. It's several years old and the ink costs more than a new printer.

I did go for a walk the other day, which made the dogs ecstatic. Weather is currently too cruddy for going out though. Also, our landline seems to be fixed for now and Fedex called the house about making a delivery since the drivers have been getting chewed out for the problems I've had with them. A delivery driver called while I was on my way home and had Mom come out bc he was too scared of the cow to get out of his vehicle. Apparently he didn't know female cows could have horns and Mom had to explain to him that she won't bother him if he doesn't run. She only chases if people run since she thinks they want to play. I used to sort of play tag with her when she was little (before she grew horns) so its great fun for her.

Scheduled curbside order for this afternoon and will try to take out trash and such.
When I was about 16 I got chased by a guys pet goose on a service call and they guy started laughing at me so I brought a machete back in the gate with me second trip and the guy quit laughing. I shouldn’t have done that 🤣 totally uncalled for.

Another time I was digging up a sewer line at the edge of a house and a 8 yr old boy threatened to let his pit bull out on me. I told him he better not if he loved the dog……

He proceeded to start walking towards the dogs fenced in kennel and I told my helper to go get an axe and I picked up my steel probe thats basically a 5’ long spear with a t-handle. I yelled for his grandmother to come get the boy and the boy started cussing me out saying he was going to tell his daddy I was going to kill his dog.
I said good, I’ll be here waiting for your daddy.

Another time I walked out of a house to get parts from the van and about 20 cops raided the house with a drug warrant. They knew I wasn’t part of it and pulled me behind their cars while they went in.

I started doing something I've threatened to do but will probably rue the day I started: My favorite holiday Christmas movie, from Hallmark, is perfect in every respect except for the lousy subtitles, probably done by some drunk or drugged-out A.I., so I decided to try and fix them. I downloaded some software to extract the subtitles and began to edit them yesterday. After about six hours of painstaking work listening to each bit of dialog and fixing the subtitles to perfection by correcting spelling and timing errors, I finally finished fifteen minutes of the two-and-a-half-hour movie! I may die before the work is complete!

I don't see Ethernet even being used in 10 years. Everything is Wi-Fi now. I also believe they will find a way to transfer power without wires shortly, so you have to consider this if you were to build a house in the future. (As Nicola Tesla wanted to do way back when.)

I've never tried a bidet.

A bidet or bidet toilet or bidet toilet seat is still nothing but a fancy butt washer.
A true bidet has hot and cold running water, like a mini bath tub. Builders are still not installing hot water next to a toilet any more than they are adding an outlet. Adding either as a retrofit can be problematic. My neighbor did the math and the fancy butt washing toilet they got would have ended up costing $5,000 and been a major problem.

When I was 15 my cousin of the same age and I travelled all around Europe. Had no clue as to what the bidet was at the hotel in Paris. We filled it with cold water to chill our soft drink bottles and cans since they don't have ice. Oh then someone told us it's for the French who choose to shower or bathe every other Tuesday so this kept part of them clean at least...

I dont even like the idea of one of those things, I would think it would create such a mess, and the force needed to actually get you clean.. well , let's just say , I don't think I would like an enema . Plus you still have to dry yourself off. So it doesn't save any arm / hand motion. At least that's how I picture it in my head. I don't think I'd trust it to actually get you completely clean either...

Brings to mind a scene from “Coming to America” when the prince’s bathing attendants rise gracefully from below the surface of the water and declare, “Your highness, the royal “pizzle” is clean.”

Or the other scene when he's sitting on the throne and his aid claps and exclaims, "Wipers!!"

Last edited:
Bidets won't give you an enema, that's what waterslides are for. :D I found that one out the hard way at Blue Bayou water park years ago. The spray pattern/pressure is designed to not be uncomfortable, although there are some settings that can actually stimulate you to go if you are having trouble. It's basically a rinse. Think of it this way: If you touch dog crap with your bare hand, do you think it is clean if you wipe it off with a paper towel alone? Or would you want to rinse it with water? So the bidet will rinse stuff off more. Unless you have the blow dry version, you do still need to dry off, but you come out cleaner than if you just use tp alone. Wet wipes are a good alternative (although I know to NEVER flush them).

The first time my brother saw a stand alone bidet he asked what it was, turned it on and it sprayed him in the face and wouldn't shut off. I laughed so hard at that. My parents had one in their bathroom in Singapore (which I think I mentioned) and our cat Quasar liked to play with the water stream. Mom loved the bidet there. She's not a fan of the seat attachment ones because she can't see the controls.

My friends' wedding is in a week and I'm going to pick up some stuff for the decorating-- found some 8-1/2 ft long tablecloths on sale for 97 cents. He wants to use that to block off some of the uglier areas in his backyard. He also needs some galvanized pipes for his shower project (not sure if they carry stainless steel ones) so I will stop by the hardware store.

The goose story reminded me of a story my late elderly friend told me back when he worked for an insurance company and would have to go to customer's doors to collect their premiums. He had a new guy with him who always wore crisp pure white pants. One day my friend asked him to go to the door to collect the premiums from the people since he'd been doing all the legwork and said he wanted a break. Guy walks up to the door and knocks. Duck comes out and he says "Oh, hello little ducky!" at which point it attacked him and chased him around the car a few times before he jumped in. He had muddy beak and duck footprints all over his nice pants. He turned to my friend and said "You knew that was going to happen!" My friend played innocent and said "How was I supposed to know a duck would come out and attack you!" Not only did he know it, but he also knew the customers weren't home. He liked to prank people like that. Like the time he had a small box with baby alligators and had a girl open them thinking it contained baby chickens bc they were chirping and she screamed bloody murder when she saw what they were. I think he was a teenager at that point.

Back