What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the LG dishwasher is back in service after replacement of the third sump/motor assembly and it is finally quiet once again. What took the trained tech about thirty minutes took yours truly a little over a couple of days because I broke the drain hose assembly and had to order a replacement and sustained several cuts and scrapes including a rather ugly looking gash on the top of my head because I went against my wife's recommendations and chose not to wear a hard hat under the counter to protect my bald scalp.

I've got my eye on one in the Bosch Benchmark series of dishwashers and like the one with the 38dB(A) noise rating.

All's well that ends well I suppose.

I hadn't even noticed the couple were wearing pants because I was so focused on the showerhead. LOL. That must have been an awkward photoshoot though.

Today is my friend's birthday but he's not feeling well so rain check on taking him to Boot Barn for new boots and on getting food at the Chinese place.

Too hot all day to do anything. One of the cats tried to wake me up by tapping my nose and I was too sleepy to understand what she wanted so she gave up. I need to go get some trim I painted out of the workshop but I'm too tired and its way too hot. I need to put the moving blanket over my window to block some of the sun and heat.

Happy Birthday to your dad! I'm hoping I inherited the short lifespan from my dad's side of the family. If my health gets worse, I don't want to be around. I'd rather just kick it.

Got a spam email from Sharkbite advertising their new “Max” line of fittings. Twice the burst pressure and much smoother insertion and, no, I don’t work for Sharkbite although I do use their stuff from time to time.
Giggety.

Took my friends out for a late celebration of male friend's birthday. Got him some new boots since old ones were literally falling apart after several years. Got same brand and almost same type. Electrical rated, comfort insole, composite toe, etc. Signed up for their spam so I got a coupon. Got the female friend (male friend's gf) a cardigan on clearance. Coupon covered both. Then we had lunch. Dropped by Samsclub for curbside and then did in-store pickup at HD. Dropped them off at home and they were happy. It was good to spend time with the female friend. She's like a little sister/niece to me. Male friend is like a nephew. My brother considers them siblings. Mom considers the male friend a grandson. Started as a joke bc I kept being mistaken for his mother and other times for his aunt.

The sharkbite thing sounds interesting.

Doing the regular stuff that I do each day. Today I'll be going over to daughter's neighborhood to eat and watch neighborhood fireworks.

Sunday I went to see their new home that is being built. It's to the point of walls being painted. My son-in-law is licensed electrician and he and his crew will put in all the electrical outlets. And they have cam lights all over the place. This is a huge house, maybe even a low key mansion. And it must be so satisfying for my daughter as she drew the house/floorplan out on quadruled paper. Took it to architech for building drawings. It's amazing and all the walk in closets have shelves, and selves everywhere. It's a big house as there is Mom & Dad and 9 children. Oldest just turned 20, youngest is about 6 months.

Okay, I'll stop bragging about them now.

Happy Independence Day and thank you and your family members who are serving or have served securing the freedoms we all enjoy here in the United States.

Yesterday we went to a U-pick fruit farm and loaded up on gooseberries, black raspberries (rare I hear), sour cherries that are pretty damn sweet, blackberries almost as big as your thumb and other goodies. Fireworks in my neck of the woods are no longer done on the 4th but have been moved to the 5th but we won't be seeing them just because.

Time to start drinking so that's where I am headed. Tonic is my mixer of choice because I don't want to get malaria and it goes well with gin and vodka.

Stay safe everyone!

Happy Independence Day and thank you and your family members who are serving or have served securing the freedoms we all enjoy here in the United States.

Yesterday we went to a U-pick fruit farm and loaded up on gooseberries, black raspberries (rare I hear), sour cherries that are pretty damn sweet, blackberries almost as big as your thumb and other goodies. Fireworks in my neck of the woods are no longer done on the 4th but have been moved to the 5th but we won't be seeing them just because.

Time to start drinking so that's where I am headed. Tonic is my mixer of choice because I don't want to get malaria and it goes well with gin and vodka.

Stay safe everyone!
Also good to combat covid

I was sick yesterday so I got up early this morning to work on the caulking. I suck at it. I dropped the caulk gun under my stepstool, I dropped the tools and the shop towel, I tore my glove, I got caulk all over stuff, the hook on the caulk gun kept catching on my shirt... I got only a little bit done but had to take a break out of frustration and getting overheated. Need to work on it more before it gets hotter, but I'm resting for now. Was going to nap but my brain won't let me.

I rested for a bit without taking a nap and then went back to caulking. Tube ran out so I need to cut open a new one and then finish up. I have some touch-ups to do on the top, baseboard in front of the tub, and around the flange for the controls because it won't sit flush on one side.

Should I caulk around the entire thing or should I leave it uncaulked at the bottom where there is no gap?

Is that a wood or PVC base molding? There will be water on the floor, so a small bead of caulk on the top AND bottom would stop the water (and personally I think looks better) but you don't want water trapped inside of it. Another idea is to place caulk on the tub, then install the molding, allowing the excess to ooze out, ensuring a great seal. Just wipe excess thoroughly!

Is that a wood or PVC base molding? There will be water on the floor, so a small bead of caulk on the top AND bottom would stop the water (and personally I think looks better) but you don't want water trapped inside of it. Another idea is to place caulk on the tub, then install the molding, allowing the excess to ooze out, ensuring a great seal. Just wipe excess thoroughly!
Its PVC. All of my trim is PVC. I'm not putting wood anywhere near the tub. I caulked on top and bottom of the trim. Finally finished caulking it all. It's sloppy and the "no-drip" gun is not no drip. Good thing I put painter's tape over the tub spout because the caulk drizzled all over it when I was sealing the gap on the shower control escutcheon. I'm currently waiting for all of the caulk to dry. Even with a magnifying glass I couldn't see what the curing time was on it.

I got some primer to use over all the nail heads and the unpainted pvc. I'll cover everything up with tape and plastic to prime and then do touch-up paint. Then I'm going to use my handy dandy caulking tool (spreader and scraper) to do some cleanup of the caulk. The flat scraper works wonders on removing dried caulk from flat surfaces.

The caulk job isn't perfect but its all sealed up and that's good enough for me. I'll post pictures after I nap. My back is in protest right now so I'm lying down with the heated massage pad on my back.

Too late on the caulk in the hair. LOL. It slid right off when I ran my fingers through.

My friend was teasing me about not having much experience handling the caulk. That combined with the caulk condoms had me laughing.

Edit: Going to share one pic:
1688596520054.png

Last edited:
My "no drip" gun also spews out caulking, unless I release the pressure from the rod.
Same. It has some sort of lever that is supposed to prevent it from dripping but it doesn't work worth crap. I did release the pressure from the rod but I didn't get to it fast enough as I was also holding tools in my hands and I'm an uncoordinated monkey.

Some of the caulk shrunk when it dried so I need to do some touch-ups.

I had myself a good nap but my back is still griping. I'm going to try to get to sleep through the night and then get up to do more caulking.

Attended to a chore I've been putting off, finally started replacing worn out 120VAC electrical outlets in a certain section of my home.

All these outlets were installed when the addition was added in 1968, some of them were so worn out that plugs inserted into them would fall out at the slightest provocation.

Trouble is that they are enclosed in shallow plastic boxes, a challenge to wire modern receptacles due to their fill capacity.

These boxes are unavailable anywhere in any size, Home Depot used to carry them, but since the covid19 pandemic they've vanished from all hardware/home improvement stores.

Luckily I had several used, deeper boxes laying around, I merely repainted and repurposed them.

While I do know this is a plumbing forum, but does anyone know why they are no longer produced?

Attachments

• image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back