What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repaired a dead hard disk slot in my eight disk QNAP network attached storage device by bypassing, shorting around if you will, a MOSFET device used to switch power to the drive in the slot. Shaky old hands and too big a tip on my soldering iron but it does work properly now. See before and after pix.

Started disassembly of my blasted LG dish washer in preparation for installing a new sump assembly.

Board prior to repair bad part small.jpgBoard after repair closeup.jpg

What is a qnap network?

Good luck with the LG dishwasher.

Yesterday was too hot. 100°F and I hate the heat. Anything over 80 and I get overheated. I'm thinking of getting cheap moving blankets to put over my windows. I can staple them up to keep the sun out. Having 6' wide windows sucks.

Took the kitchen trash out. Need to check bathroom trash in mom's room and need to take my bathroom trash out. Also need to clean litterboxes and check hvac filter in hallway.

Started cutting some weeds out front but cutter ran out of battery so I'm charging it. Couldn't be out there too long anyway. Too hot. Waiting on Fedex delivery that was supposed to be here Monday but the driver keeps claiming he can't find my address. I sent detailed directions to get here-- including instructions to bypass a really horrible road. It should be here around now but driver might be too lazy. Sometimes they claim they can't find it bc they don't want to come out here and just putz on delivery. Waited 3 weeks before for something where they kept jerking me around.

Also keep getting calls and texts over a medical bill I don't owe to the hospital. Haven't been there as a patient since 2009. They are claiming it is for bloodwork I had done, but I had bloodwork at my doctor's office and paid in full. The doctor's office confirmed. It was around $90. But hospital is claiming I owe them $800+. Which doesn't make sense bc by their own records if I had it done there it would have cost under $300. So, someone screwed up and they are harassing me over it & thinking I'm going to pay them when I don't owe them crap. They are sadly mistaken. The clerk from my doctor's office went over to the billing office personally to show them the invoice saying I paid in full and told them to leave me alone, but they seem to think they can get money they aren't owed via harassment.

Mom just got up so I'm waiting for her to say when she is hungry and what she wants to eat.

What is a qnap network?

Good luck with the LG dishwasher.
QNAP is a brand of network storage devices that takes a bunch of little inexpensive hard disks and merges them into one big storage device. This particular one has a capacity of 21 terabytes of data total and I refuse to let it die simply because of a design deficiency.

Regarding the LG, I found a complete step-by-step video on YouTube that will make it go like clockwork. Part of me, the bad part, secretly hopes that it won't work so we can buy a Bosch.

Ah. Ok. That sounds like a neat idea. Would be good for storing things like DVR contents, pictures, etc that can be shared.

Bosch is a better brand from what I've heard.

I returned the shoes I got the other day bc when I tried them on at home, one of the shoes squeezed the hell out of my right foot so hard it hurt. I tried adjusting and moving the sock around but it still was hurting so I decided to take them back. Not dropping $75 in shoes that are uncomfortable. Shoe Carnival people were good about it. I explained why I returned them and they asked if I wanted a refund or exchange. I said I'd exchange IF I could find something that fit. Managed to find a pair I hadn't seen before. Well, I saw the display shoe and found the regular width one that didn't fit, but then I found the only box left of the wide shoe and it fit comfortably. Not even close to being tight but also not loose. I can work with that. They had similar looking ones at Walmart but I couldn't even fit my foot in them. I have a high arch and have trouble getting my arch and heel in to a lot of shoes. I also hate shoes with laces so I only get slip-ons.

Did I mention power went out last night? Stayed out about 10hrs and was absolutely miserable. My battery powered fan died out-- need to recharge it later. Dog kept climbing on me because the thunder scared her but it was too friggin' hot. Even the cats gave me a wide berth due to the heat but dog wanted to be comforted.

Went to McDonalds bc we couldn't cook or open the fridge. Saw a tree down on the lines on the way in. Regretted the McDonalds bc it did not agree with my guts. On my way home from the shoe store (with a brief detour to harbor freight to grab some moving blankets on clearance) I felt like I was going to hurl. Still managed to get mail from post office and grab sweet feed for the cows from TSC.

I took some trim to the workshop to add primer to where I put some caulk and a tear-away strip. I'm afraid I ended up making it look uglier, but I really don't care so long as stuff keeps water out. I'm going to paint it later. The primer usually dries in about 5min but I'm giving it time. Looks like its going to rain again now.

If my extension piece comes in tomorrow, my friend can finish up the plumbing for me and then help me with trim & assembling my table saw.

Sometime either this week or next I'm taking him to Boot Barn to get new work boots. The sole completely fell off his current ones- but I think they are at least 5yrs old and have been through a lot. He's currently browsing the online selection so we can see what they have in store for him to try on.

Air fryer finally arrived and I need to set it up, but my back wasn't cooperating with the lifting. Need to clear the previous one away.

To me, the only dishwasher which people come in here to try to fix is Bosch.
I can agree that possibly Bosch is the only brand of dishwasher that is worth fixing but, hey, don't "diss" the poor fella like me that made the mistake of buying another brand but still wants to attempt to fix it ;)

Or, maybe I misinterpreted your comment and you really meant to say that, in your experience, only Bosch breaks. Either way, have a good day and I hope those five SOBs, souls on board, bolted in that deep diving submersible cheat fate and are found alive and well.

Last edited:
Hey, if we don't "razz" others, what good are we?

I picked up one of those offset umbrellas last week. Regular price was $600, I got it for $250 at Home Depot. Yesterday, they had a big sale and sold them for $199. Today, they are $360. Well, I put mine up and with the 3' x 3' base, filled with (4) 50 pound bags of sand, but it is so intrusive, we don't want it now. I now have 5 umbrellas for 2 tables and a bar in the backyard, and unless I redesign the seating areas, I'm lost!

Problem is my sister in law's funeral is coming up in a few weeks, and I have a suspicion they they will be asking for me to host the "after funeral" party, so we may be having 100 guests here, so I don't want to get rid of any umbrellas yet.

Hey, if we don't "razz" others, what good are we?

I picked up one of those offset umbrellas last week. Regular price was $600, I got it for $250 at Home Depot. Yesterday, they had a big sale and sold them for $199. Today, they are $360. Well, I put mine up and with the 3' x 3' base, filled with (4) 50 pound bags of sand, but it is so intrusive, we don't want it now. I now have 5 umbrellas for 2 tables and a bar in the backyard, and unless I redesign the seating areas, I'm lost!

Problem is my sister in law's funeral is coming up in a few weeks, and I have a suspicion they they will be asking for me to host the "after funeral" party, so we may be having 100 guests here, so I don't want to get rid of any umbrellas yet.
Thoughts and prayers for the loss of your loved one.

Thanks. She was over for dinner just 2 weeks ago. Seemed healthy. 5 days later, she woke up throwing up. Bother in law dialed "911" placed her on the floor because of her labored breathing, and then she quit breathing. He performed CPR for 5 minutes until paramedics arrived. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. We suspect a massive heart attack. We all turn 68 this year. she just had her birthday, and my birthday is in August.

Life is short. Don't waste your precious days.

Not to belabor the point. They share their Ring doorbell with their daughter, who lives in Florida. Her phone starts blasting at 5 AM. She opens up the app to her mom and dad's house, and watches her mom being hailed off on a gurney. She calls me and says to go to the hospital because dad didn't bring his phone to the hospital. I arrive to find out my niece's mom was dead. A bad deal all around.

Thanks. She was over for dinner just 2 weeks ago. Seemed healthy. 5 days later, she woke up throwing up. Bother in law dialed "911" placed her on the floor because of her labored breathing, and then she quit breathing. He performed CPR for 5 minutes until paramedics arrived. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. We suspect a massive heart attack. We all turn 68 this year. she just had her birthday, and my birthday is in August.

Life is short. Don't waste your precious days.
It is short, my dad went at 43.

Havasu, that really sucks.
Sawguy, that is young. My dad went at 61. His dad went at 62. I think his grandfather went around 62 as well. My uncle is the first male in their family line to make it to 70. He's now in his 80s. My dad's sister died at 54.

I'm getting sick and tired of deliveries not coming through. This is the 4th package an amazon fulfillment center lost. I ordered a plumbing part last week. Needed it by today. Was supposed to arrive on the 20th. They putzed around and waited until the 18th to send it from Humble TX. It then for some reason went to some town in California. Then another town in California. Then back to Humble TX on the 20th. No movement since then. I was told I could get a refund if it doesn't arrive today. Given that they probably lost it, I'm not holding out hope. Might tell them I want a replacement since first one was lost but don't expect them to actually get the next one sent. Part isn't available locally or at big box stores. Ugh.

Also, my friend wants to take out his slidebar rainfall shower with handheld and put in two ceiling mount rainshowers so he can shower with his gf. I saw there is a double one but it's over $1k. Please excuse the models making stupid faces. I wanted to show that it can cover two people.
1687476092807.png

He's thinking of linking two separate showerheads. But I'm pretty sure first in line will get more pressure and not sure how to avoid that. He also wants to keep his existing shower trim I think. It's going to cost way more than he thinks. He wants to put a hole in that sloped ceiling that looks like a rolltop breadbox. Trying to figure out a feasible way to attach a handheld in and have some sort of diverter.

Any ideas? I think he wants either two 10" or two 12" rainshower heads and was thinking of putting some sort of diverter (not sure what or how it would tie in) through the hole where the bottom of the existing thing goes through the surround. He currently has something like this with a 10" top showerhead.
1687476339254.png

Oh, and I just checked and my Samsclub order is delayed. I am so fed up with these shipping agencies screwing up. I had to fight to get my air fryer delivered and it was a few days late.

Doesn't help that its been hot as hell.

One upside is my youngest cat has started sleeping on my bed. That makes me happy. She's such a sweetheart. The dog is hogging one of my cooling pillows right now. LOL.

I took my aunt and uncle to the eye doctor for their yorkie type doggie. Seems the dog has glocoma and will be on medicine for rest of life. This was a little tricky as aunt is using a rolator walker due to her legs occasionally just become rubber and she collapses. But on this day, all went well.

Also, my friend wants to take out his slidebar rainfall shower with handheld and put in two ceiling mount rainshowers so he can shower with his gf. I saw there is a double one but it's over $1k. Please excuse the models making stupid faces. I wanted to show that it can cover two people.
View attachment 40818
I agree, in principle, with the idea of two showering at the same time to save water but the idea that this couple is also washing their clothing at the same time is beyond the pale!

OMG! That's very cool! How often does he have to renew his driver's license and does he have to take a road test or only a vision test??
I don’t know. But he’s the total opposite of a grumpy old curmudgeon who doesn’t listen to good sense. When it’s time to stop driving he’ll probably tell us…they say he has the body of someone MAYBE 75…here he is at 101, on his birthday.

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back