What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightning struck my parents house and blew a hole in a gas line which caught the floor on fire. My father put the fire out then smell gas, so turned the gas meter off.

Happened on an Easter Sunday morning around 11am. Just so happens they didn’t go to church that year, usually they went to church on Easter. If they hadn’t been home it would’ve burnt to the ground because of there location. No one would’ve seen it until it was fully involved.
Same thing here except it hit the gas line inside the fireplace chase. Couldn't get to it. By the time I ran out to turn the bottle gas off and came back in, the ceiling was turning brown 25' up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220802_114125475.jpg
    IMG_20220802_114125475.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Seems there were 4 Hurricane Danny's in the last 20 years which caused substantial damage. Which Danny are you referring to ?

I sat on my front porch in a rocking chair and watched the road and the power poles wash away while drinking a Budweiser thinking it’ll be forever before my dial up AOL would be back up and running. 🤣

The benches and tables are gorgeous!

Yikes. Glad the fires could be put out and everyone was OK.

Thunderstorm is going right now but it was really really bad yesterday. There was a thundercrack so loud it woke me up & my cats were actually freaked out. Sir Hammington was staring out the window freaking out a bit. My brother heard an electrical pop in the kitchen. Lights were still working, I looked around and noticed an odd smell in Mom's room, but my nose is still slightly stuffy so I couldn't find the source.

Last night around 3am I got up to use the bathroom & noticed the toilet wasn't flushing well. Checked the sink & no water. It had stopped raining so I went & checked the breakers. Flipped them on and off just in case. Still no water. Went out and saw the float lever on the cistern was down. I lifted it up & dropped it again so it triggered the pump to come on. Then I pulled up on the cord to the jet pump's pressure switch and it ran for a few seconds. Went back inside & water worked again.

But I had not seen the real damage yet. Went to check the time on my landline phone handset and it said "No power from base". I went and said something to Mom about the storm having killed yet another phone base. Mom said the phoneline was no longer in the jack. I walked over and saw the phoneline shredded, the RJ11 plug is still in the jack. There is a shredded cord hanging out of the phone too (but I didn't get a picture). I went to show my brother the cord, mom lifted it up and this chunk came out in her hand:
1659461411610.png
The entire line from jack to phone is like that. There are black marks on the curtains where the line touched them.
So now we need a new phone AGAIN and we need to figure out how to stop this from happening again. This is the 4th phone in the last few years. Second phone within the past year to get toasted by the landline frying. I got some sort of thing the line was supposed to plug to but Mom put it somewhere and I don't know where it is.

Internet signal just dropped so I'll have to post when it comes back on.

I sat on my front porch in a rocking chair and watched the road and the power poles wash away while drinking a Budweiser thinking it’ll be forever before my dial up AOL would be back up and running. 🤣
Are you feeling better? Did you take the COVID test? I was one of the first to say that eventually we all will test positive at some point. Stay safe!

Are you feeling better? Did you take the COVID test? I was one of the first to say that eventually we all will test positive at some point. Stay safe!
Tested negative. Took at home test this morning. Will retest again in 48 hrs if I still feel like total Biden.

I feel better though. I worked up a hellava sweat

Glad to hear it. My "Dotter" tested positive and finally negative. I am tired of all this ****. It's nothing more than a cold or the flu to me at this point.

(PS. Thanks to the board for "bleeping" me when I said the word "Schiff".)

Having “fun” with a scammer.
He contacted me by text message with a Seattle area code to inspect a house that is vacant about 40 miles from here. No problem I lied. He took the bait. Says he’s going to send me a cashiers check and he does. Then he tells me that the check will be for more than my inspection fee and would I mind giving the extra to a flooring Contractor he’s going to have at the Home. No problem I lied again. So the counterfeit cashiers check arrived yesterday drawn on a small credit union in South Carolina. I called their fraud and compliance department and of course it is counterfeit. The credit union asked for all of this and so I sent it to him and they will work with the postal inspectors as well as their own fraud team and local law-enforcement. remember at the beginning the call came from a Seattle area code. The check came by overnight express mail from an address in California. A check of the tracking number of the package indicated it was dropped off in Brooklyn New York. I can smell these scams a mile away and this one was like week-old tuna. So now I will make some excuse about not being able to get in the house or that it’s under contract for sale or something like that.
Check counterfeiting is bad enough by itself but then again he goes and sends it through the US mail making it mail fraud as well. Doubtful he’ll ever get caught but this sounds like a couple of felonies to me.

Having “fun” with a scammer.
He contacted me by text message with a Seattle area code to inspect a house that is vacant about 40 miles from here. No problem I lied. He took the bait. Says he’s going to send me a cashiers check and he does. Then he tells me that the check will be for more than my inspection fee and would I mind giving the extra to a flooring Contractor he’s going to have at the Home. No problem I lied again. So the counterfeit cashiers check arrived yesterday drawn on a small credit union in South Carolina. I called their fraud and compliance department and of course it is counterfeit. The credit union asked for all of this and so I sent it to him and they will work with the postal inspectors as well as their own fraud team and local law-enforcement. remember at the beginning the call came from a Seattle area code. The check came by overnight express mail from an address in California. A check of the tracking number of the package indicated it was dropped off in Brooklyn New York. I can smell these scams a mile away and this one was like week-old tuna. So now I will make some excuse about not being able to get in the house or that it’s under contract for sale or something like that.
Check counterfeiting is bad enough by itself but then again he goes and sends it through the US mail making it mail fraud as well. Doubtful he’ll ever get caught but this sounds like a couple of felonies to me.
Tell him you went to the house and did the inspection and thanks for the work and the flooring contractor appreciated his share 🤣

Man, scammers are into everything these days.
Glad you're feeling better, twowaxhack. I actually like that shower curtain set but I wouldn't use it in my bathrooms.
Blueskyhigh, I'm glad I have my own water. City water has a bad taste & has been going out because they use a 100yr old pump or something & they also rip people off. The city itself didn't pay for water so they are taking it out on residential customers and charging them for way more than they used. They more than quintupled the prices.

Power went out after I posted. I had to go outside to use my cellphone to call it in. Went into Mom's room using my phone as a flashlight. She looks up from her laptop (without taking off her headphones) and yells "Aren't you going to cook for me?!" I looked at her crosseyed and said "I can't!" She got angry "Why not?!" Me: "The power is out!" "What? Why didn't you tell me!?" "I'm telling you NOW!" I figured she would notice the power went out but apparently she didn't. Not sure how long it was out because I fell asleep. Mom is mad that she can't page me so she has to go into the hallway and holler at me. She was very angry because I was asleep and didn't hear her until she got closer to my room and shouted. Problem is, I was lying on my right side with my left ear up and I'm half deaf in my left ear.

I cooked stroganoff once power was back on. I add mushrooms to it. I like them so much I might just substitute mushrooms for meat on a batch to see how it tastes.

Oh, here is the picture of the destroyed phone cord hanging from the phone- you can see the marks it left on the curtain:
phonelinefriedAug2-2022_2.png

Tell him you went to the house and did the inspection and thanks for the work and the flooring contractor appreciated his share 🤣
So now the plot thickens.

Instead of "meeting his contractor" at the house on Friday at 9AM, now he says his contractor was called out of town but needs his fee immediately, so he's supposed to send me his Zelle information. I'll just hand this all over to the credit union to deal with. With a Zelle account, they may actually be able to track this guy down...
His "secretary" sent the counterfeit cashier's check for $2,750 for a $499 inspection fee, and the balance is supposed to go to the "contractor" but now is supposed to go to his Zelle which is tied to a bank account.

Back