What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think y'all are good plumbers--maybe even GREAT. I don't think you are good dentists.
I'd let the dentists figure that out and recommend the proper anesthesia. None isn't a good idea--the pain might be so great that future needed dental work will be put off.

Man, you wouldn't want your dentists telling you what kind of piping to use, or how to fix a leak in their office. Let them do their jobs and help manage your pain in the best way possible.

I can only imagine the pain of that work w/o anesthesia. Let the doctors figure out what's best. No reason to suffer.
I wasn’t going to be sedated intravenously so that kinda limits what they can do.

The lady nurse might touch me in my private places, I want to be awake when she does that 🤡

They didn't use anesthesia in the Soviet Union most likely because they didn't have any. They spent too much time on bread lines; they didn't have bread much less most common (to civilized western nations) meds. Nobody except a few wack jobs wants to escape TO USSR/Russia, but man they sure do want to leave.

I'm not arguing about what works or doesn't. Just don't see the reason to suffer when you don't have to. Sounds like the pain that twowaxhack was in was pretty unimaginable, like a civil war field amputation. Let the dentists (or in this case for me it would have probably been an oral surgeon--there's a difference) do their job. "First, cause no harm"

To each their own, but I'd have taken the IV. No biggie. I have blood drawn many times a year. an IV is no different. I have no idea what they'd give me for what but I have to put my trust in the doctors and the anesthesiologists.

(PS: If the nurse touches my privates, so be it. I'd never know now, would I?)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218719/
I have to get a different sort of numbing than they normally use at the dentist because the usual stuff is a sulfa drug and I'm extremely allergic. My dentist also has to give me a higher dose and wait longer for it to kick in than for most patients.

I tried to relax most of the day. Puppies wouldn't behave so I had to keep them put up. I had to carry Peanutbutter back into the room a few times because she kept escaping. My brother brought in their food bowls and I gave them water inside. They normally eat and drink outside. I'm going to miss them a bit but I'm not going to miss having to keep my shoes in a plastic bin or constantly picking up a knocked over trash can or hiding cooking utensils that were just used and are still going to be used when food is on the stove.

I hope they get along with the other dogs at their new owner's place. I have to get up around 8 to start driving them out to be picked up.

I think y'all are good plumbers--maybe even GREAT. I don't think you are good dentists.
I'd let the dentists figure that out and recommend the proper anesthesia. None isn't a good idea--the pain might be so great that future needed dental work will be put off.

Man, you wouldn't want your dentists telling you what kind of piping to use, or how to fix a leak in their office. Let them do their jobs and help manage your pain in the best way possible.

I can only imagine the pain of that work w/o anesthesia. Let the doctors figure out what's best. No reason to suffer.
I agree with Mitchell. I just had two teeth taken out on the same side on Tuesday. He was able to numb it but I'll tell
you it still hurt when he was pulling on them. I thought he was going to break my jaw bone. He had the nurse helping push
up on my chin to take away the pain there and it worked. Once done by jaw went back to normal. I'm still eating soft foods.

I agree with Mitchell. I just had two teeth taken out on the same side on Tuesday. He was able to numb it but I'll tell
you it still hurt when he was pulling on them. I thought he was going to break my jaw bone. He had the nurse helping push
up on my chin to take away the pain there and it worked. Once done by jaw went back to normal. I'm still eating soft foods.
Better get implants or something……your other teeth will move out of alignment and they’ll fail too. Two on same side is a problem

I’m a dentist on the side……

In August 1978, my parents scheduled me (through the dentist of course) to have my wisdom teeth pulled. My dad's insurance would ONLY pay for this if done IN A HOSPITAL, not a dental office or surgery. Something about "if there is a problem..." and the fact that they had to use general anesthesia. Needless to say, I was quite nervous about the whole thing, being just a 22 year old college student at the time. I suggested we do two at a time instead of all four at once. Turns out the oral surgeon would never do that. He said, "If you do that, you'd never come back for the other two..."

It was a stinking hot summer, and we didn't have air conditioning. I was in misery in a sweltering 2nd floor bedroom for a week recovering. Complicating the issues were I got very sick from the anesthesia and though I was the first one on the schedule the morning of, I was the last one to wake up and did so vomiting. Then, they gave me some kind of narcotic (codeine I think) for the pain upon release, and that made me sick too. They gave me antibiotics, and those gave me hives. They gave me Benadryl for that, and that made me even sicker. I was a complete hot mess for a week.

But I learned early at age 22 that narcotics and I do not get along. I'm allergic to penicillin. Subsequent dental visits and other issues have not been a problem, but man that was the worst--and I bet it was a cakewalk compared to twowaxhack's ordeal.

In August 1978, my parents scheduled me (through the dentist of course) to have my wisdom teeth pulled. My dad's insurance would ONLY pay for this if done IN A HOSPITAL, not a dental office or surgery. Something about "if there is a problem..." and the fact that they had to use general anesthesia. Needless to say, I was quite nervous about the whole thing, being just a 22 year old college student at the time. I suggested we do two at a time instead of all four at once. Turns out the oral surgeon would never do that. He said, "If you do that, you'd never come back for the other two..."

It was a stinking hot summer, and we didn't have air conditioning. I was in misery in a sweltering 2nd floor bedroom for a week recovering. Complicating the issues were I got very sick from the anesthesia and though I was the first one on the schedule the morning of, I was the last one to wake up and did so vomiting. Then, they gave me some kind of narcotic (codeine I think) for the pain upon release, and that made me sick too. They gave me antibiotics, and those gave me hives. They gave me Benadryl for that, and that made me even sicker. I was a complete hot mess for a week.

But I learned early at age 22 that narcotics and I do not get along. I'm allergic to penicillin. Subsequent dental visits and other issues have not been a problem, but man that was the worst--and I bet it was a cakewalk compared to twowaxhack's ordeal.
By 22 I was married, a master plumber and had just built a house.

I was sick for a couple days but I think that was from all the antibiotics I had been on trying to kill the infection.

General anesthesia is more dangerous than people, including doctors, lead you to believe. You’re just a number and you signed the waiver. 👍

I had a lower wisdom tooth removed when I was about 17 and I wouldn’t let them remove the other side. It was still deep.

When I was about 45 I had the other side taken out. I refused IV sedation.

An oral surgeon removed it. It shot me up and I couldn’t feel the side of my head. He snatched it out in about 2 minutes in two pieces.

Sounded like rocks breaking, I didn’t feel a thing other than pressure.

My uppers are tiny dots that are almost non existent. Everyone’s advice is to let them be…..don’t worry.

The only time I had a root canal fail what after they realized I had 4 roots, instead of the typical 3 roots. Yes, mine was also under a crown. They went in, popped the existing crown, completed the root canal on the 4th root, reinstalled the crown, and I was out in an hour, $900 less in my wallet.

Sometimes a root canal isn't possible if there's not enough of the tooth left intact to save. They doctor who did my root canal had a very hard time getting to the extra roots and almost destroyed the tooth. I didn't get a crown bc the price was too high. Already had a chip come out of the tooth so I might have to get a crown eventually.

My friend's teeth were shattered. When he had his wreck the airbag slammed his lower jaw to his upper jaw and broke all of the teeth. He also slammed the and top of his head really hard on the driver side window area-- his head hit asphalt. If he'd been a couple inches taller he would not have survived. He reported that the bleeding has stopped and he removed his dentures to soak his gums in saltwater. Said taking them out and putting them back in was painful.

On the anesthesia thing- my brother-in-law has a bad reaction to general anesthesia. He went in for some sort of procedure and he told them not to give it to him bc he had reacted badly to it in the past. It was in his records. When he woke up his chest really hurt. A few weeks later he got the bill. It included general anesthesia and having to do CPR and use a defibrillator because the anesthesia stopped his heart. He told them there was no way in hell he was going to pay for something he told them not to give him and the treatment they had to do as a result of their malpractice. They waited until the statute of limitations to sue was up and sent him the bill again. He told them that they reset the statute by opening things up again and that if they came after him for the bill he was going to sue them for malpractice. They dropped it.

My stomach is not liking me today for some reason. The good news is, the puppies have officially been rehomed. I got my brother to help me with them. He was ecstatic that we were getting rid of them. They previously met their new owner and as soon as they saw him they got excited. Tails wagging and they wanted to get closer to him. I had them on leashes and had their toys and rabies tags. He gave me some cash for gas. I said goodbye and we got them loaded up into his car. They didn't want to get back in any vehicle. Probably thought they were going to get more shots. Peanutbutter was looking at me as the guy drove away. I didn't have a long goodbye bc I didn't want to get emotional and upset the dogs. But they seem to be in good hands. The guy should probably be arriving back home soon. He said they'd send pics and updates on how the pups are doing. I gave them some dramamine (half a pill as the vet said) before the trip.

Went into the Walmart (we met at a Walmart parking lot so it would be easier to find) and got some fruit. I had to run to the bathroom twice. I'm hoping the pepto bismol will kick in.

I'm pretty sure my older dogs will be happy when they realize the pups are gone. Pups kept stepping on them and they didn't like it. Namir and Temjin will be happy to have their room back.

I'm going to get some pet-safe flea spray and spray all over that front room and then do every room in the house.

I bought two ISE Badger 5 1/2HP garbage disposals off eBay last week from a new seller. $80 each with free shipping.

Disposals came today and the shipping label was from Lowes .

Pulling a tooth seems so draconian to me. Why not just a root canal?
Periodontal disease resulting in loss of bone, etc., but, yes, it's best to keep your own teeth. I have a couple of implants on which the crowns were installed by the dentist using, I kid you not, a small inch-ounce Craftsman torque wrench.

I've seen a lot of stuff at thrift stores and stuff from Lowes.

My guts still hate me. My backside turned into a faucet to the point I had a little blood coming out. Ugh. Took a bunch of Pepto and have been trying to not move much for the last few hours. Cat is grabbing my face and trying to get me up because she wants treats. I'll have to cook sometime in the near future. I'm hoping my guts will behave.

Speaking of general anesthesia, I've had many in the past and I have this weird reaction when waking up. I would always wake up crying, balling my eyes out but don't have any recollection of why. Once I asked the recovery room nurse if I said or did anything and her words were "You don't wanna know". Maybe I don't want to know after all.

My point to all of this is please make sure your surgical team all sign NDAs before putting you under.

Last edited:
By 22 I was married, a master plumber and had just built a house.

We’re from vastly different worlds.

Where I grew up, the only rare and few that were married by 22 were “shotgun” weddings due to the bride being knocked up…OR those who had a starter marriage and were divorced within five years. No 22 year old could build or own a home without a lot of help from a wealthy relative or if they were a trust fund baby whose trust released the funds—homes are too costly. My county did have an excellent vo-tech program for those not on a college track. 97% of the high school graduates, and over 90% went on to higher education. I’d imagine we got a few good plumbers (and electricians, builders, etc.) out of my graduation class of 719 kids, those getting a start with the BOCES vocation program.

Most of the parents of these kids were normal ( for NY) middle class, many like my parents grew up relatively poor in NYC and lived the post-war dream on Long Island.

Back