Water Pressure Regulator question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to determine if I need to replace my water pressure regulator. It is 8 years old and is a Zurn 1 and 1/4 inch.

About a year ago I started regularly testing my pressure (weekly) and it never tests above 80 though it usually sticks around 75-80. The pressure set screw on the regulator looks to be turned all the way in, maximizing the pressure the regulator lets through.

I’ve noticed that when my pressure gauge is on, ( I always use the bib on my tankless water heater for this) and someone in the house uses water the pressure drops about 10 to 15 psi. A Culligan technician who was in my home said that that was a sign the regulator could be failing.

I have not noticed any water hammering or other issues. We had one leaky faucet, but we found out that part of it had corroded and have since replaced it.

However since the pressure is usually close to 80 psi which as I understand it is approaching the too high mark, I wanted to see what the experts thought and get your opinion on whether or not I should replace it. I’ve considered replacing it myself, but I’m concerned if something goes wrong with unscrewing the couplings or re-attaching the device, I will then be in a position where there is no water in my home.

Thank you.

Pressure guage this morning -no water running in house during test

Attachments

• 0D807091-B1BD-4E10-81A2-38759BC397C0.png
    0D807091-B1BD-4E10-81A2-38759BC397C0.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
If I wasn’t having any problems, I’d leave it alone.

That gauge is worth about .50 cents. It may not even be correct.

ok thank you- is there a gauge you recommend?
I use a Stauff brand. I’ve bought many of the type you have and all of them are now in the garbage for one reason or another. I paid about $30 for mine then I had to put the hose Bibb swivel on it.

Back