Water near* base of toilet. No visible leaks? No leaks since wiping up? Please advise how to troubleshoot. Thank you 😊

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your hand under the tank and feel for leaks. We could be guessing for hours until you can pinpoint the leak. As said before, I will line the entire back part of the toilet with toilet paper, wait for a wet spot, and look directly up. That will usually point out the area it is leaking.

90% or better probability, it is condensation. Particularly, if the humidity was high enough that you could feel it. And, weren’t you folks having the monsoonal flow about then?

Great! Thanks for all the help! Will do. I did pull the caps off the toilet flange bolts and noticed they sit lower than the other toilets. In fact, the guy didn't use the little circular plastic washers that hold the caps on. He just put a dab of caulk on them. Which must mean they were not sticking high enough when he re-installed the toilet. So as another member said, maybe there's too much space between the flange and the toilet with the thicker floor (vinyl plank flooring). So I'll definitely take your advice. But if after several weeks there no water, I may just call a professional to replace the wax ring and maybe add a spacer to the flange. Thanks so much to you and the other members! I'll get it sorted out. 👍

90% or better probability, it is condensation. Particularly, if the humidity was high enough that you could feel it. And, weren’t you folks having the monsoonal flow about then?
I was hoping that was it. But, as another member pointed out, when the toilet was reinstalled it left more of a gap between the flange and the toilet; the bolts on the ground barely stuck up enough to secure (in fact he didn't reinstall the plastic circles that hold the caps over the bolts. He just put a squirt of caulk to hold them. So, maybe some minimal water is collecting underneath and seeping out. I'll definitely keep am eye out and may even have a plumber or less reputable handyman come re-install toilet with a thicker wax ring. Thanks for responding! It was definitely a little more humid; I was sweating on my walk which rarely happens. Even in dead of summer

Back