Water near* base of toilet. No visible leaks? No leaks since wiping up? Please advise how to troubleshoot. Thank you 😊

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobD

Reaction score
Hello! I had my floors replaced a year ago and they replaced the wax ring. Didn't have any issues. Earlier today, there was some standing water (maybe 3 tablespoons) near the back of the toilet, but not one puddle, almost like 3 small puddles not connected? I left the one inch gap from the back when caulking, and there didn't seem to be water coming from underneath? It's been about 10 hours and no visible leaks? I flushed the toilet several times and nothing seems to be leaking? Live alone, so water spill is not a possibility? Any advice? I was going to call a plumber, but not sure there anything else to really diagnose? Thank you all for any help.

Also, I did check to see if the fill valve is spraying on to the top of the tank, it's not. However, there are some droplets of water on the underside of the tank lid. Could it be condensation that built up and dropped out? I live in the desert so that would be odd. But it has been noticeably "more" humid than usual, and the water filling the tank a little cooler as night Temps have dipped? Sorry to ramble and thanks for your patience. Much appreciated 😃

Maybe someone sat back on the toilet, pushing the tank to bowl bolts back, allowing water to drip?

Good thought, but it's only me. And honestly I don't remember going number 2 in the last couple days. I did have a guest here who left yesterday around noon? I'm pretty sure he just used the toilet in the guest room though. I guess I should probably ask him? I've flushed the toilet, sat on it and flushed, felt around the entire unit and can't seem to find any moisture? Buzzard. Thanks so much for your response 👍 😊

Take some toilet paper and slide it between the tank and bowl.

if it gets wet then you have a leak.
Outside of checking all spots for moisture or water, there's not much else I can do except monitor, correct? If I'm ocd-ing too badly over it, do you think calling a plumber to look at it would help? Or, in the absence of any water leaking would it be a waste of time and money? I really appreciate the help! Thank you so much

If it were I, I would watch and wait, and periodically check to see if there's any new water there. If you live in the desert the water could drip and then evaporate before you get a chance to check it.

So... get a piece of toilet paper and put one layer of it across where the water appeared, then check several times between using the toilet. If the tp got wet and then the wet spot dried, the tp will be slightly crumpled. If the paper appears not to have been touched, just leave it there until it shows signs of wetting.

No use spending $80 to $100 to have a plumber visit without more info to give him. All he could really do is remove the toilet and replace the wax seal.

If it were I, I would watch and wait, and periodically check to see if there's any new water there. If you live in the desert the water could drip and then evaporate before you get a chance to check it.

So... get a piece of toilet paper and put one layer of it across where the water appeared, then check several times between using the toilet. If the tp got wet and then the wet spot dried, the tp will be slightly crumpled. If the paper appears not to have been touched, just leave it there until it shows signs of wetting.

No use spending $80 to $100 to have a plumber visit without more info to give him. All he could really do is remove the toilet and replace the wax seal.
Thanks for the response. I think that's what I'll do. I am a bit nervous because in a month I will be out of the house for 2 months on business. I'm hoping I. An figure it out before then. Thankfully, I have a good neighbor I can get to come in a few times while I'm gone to keep an eye on it. I just hate the worry. Appreciate your response! Thanks again

Cracked toilet tank? Similar drip pattern when mine did. I also currently have a small leak because I just changed my bidet and can't get the water line to fill valve to stop leaking so I feel your pain. But you should check all the water line connections with a tissue periodically.

Cracked toilet tank? Similar drip pattern when mine did. I also currently have a small leak because I just changed my bidet and can't get the water line to fill valve to stop leaking so I feel your pain. But you should check all the water line connections with a tissue periodically.
Good luck with your project! I'm sure you will be able to figure it out. Out of curiosity, where was your tank cracked? I will definitely check mine. The fact that I only saw water on the floor once (two days ago nearly) and then it stopped is certainly frustrating. Thanks for responding

Good luck with your project! I'm sure you will be able to figure it out. Out of curiosity, where was your tank cracked? I will definitely check mine. The fact that I only saw water on the floor once (two days ago nearly) and then it stopped is certainly frustrating. Thanks for responding
Tank cracked around the handle. Yeah I probably need a new water line, even though the old one is only a year old because I temporarily changed the bidet last year (long story). Knowing my bad skills, I probably overtightened and damaged the gasket. I've just about everything leak at some point under a toilet due to bad DIY. If you upload a picture of your connections and where you saw the leak, someone might be help you pinpoint.

Attachments

• cracked tank.JPG
    cracked tank.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
Tank cracked around the handle. Yeah I probably need a new water line, even though the old one is only a year old because I temporarily changed the bidet last year (long story). Knowing my bad skills, I probably overtightened and damaged the gasket. I've just about everything leak at some point under a toilet due to bad DIY. If you upload a picture of your connections and where you saw the leak, someone might be help you pinpoint.
Gotcha! Thanks again. And good luck to you. I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. I guess this stuff just takes practice. I'm proud of myself when i accomplish a DIY. But I also have ocd so for me sometimes calling in a pro is worth it. Do your best! I'm sure you'll get itv😃

If you just had the floor replaced there is a good chance that the new floor could be a different thickness and the installer left the flange in the original place, creating more space between the bottom of the toilet and the flange. Sometimes installers will try to use two wax seals to make up the difference but even that is not a good enough solution. Best to run to the hardware store and pick up a flange extension kit which is just a few varying sized pieces of plastic rings that screw into your existing flange to bring it back up flush with the new flooring material. Then place a new wax seal on the kit. Kit might cost $15.

Consider condensation ....... our toilet tank "sweats" with the change in temperature to the point that we place a towel underneath to catch the drips. The collection of moisture is clear to see on the surface of the tank.

If you just had the floor replaced there is a good chance that the new floor could be a different thickness and the installer left the flange in the original place, creating more space between the bottom of the toilet and the flange. Sometimes installers will try to use two wax seals to make up the difference but even that is not a good enough solution. Best to run to the hardware store and pick up a flange extension kit which is just a few varying sized pieces of plastic rings that screw into your existing flange to bring it back up flush with the new flooring material. Then place a new wax seal on the kit. Kit might cost $15.
Hadn't thought of that! Unfortunately that project is way beyond my sad capabilities (I was so proud of myself for simply changing out a float lol). But if I do decide to call out a plumber I'll definitely mention that! I did leave a gap in the back of the toilet to allow for any leaks to come out. But have flushed several times and nothing? Will definitely keep an eye down there. Luckily on the first floor with slab

If you don't find out what the problem is on your toilet before you leave just shut the toilet valve off and flush the
toilet and your worries are over.
Tom thanks for the suggestion. I was considering doing that. However, I have hard water and am a little worried if I turn that valve off, that it may leak from that gasket? I read something about that. Am I being a little too paranoid now? Appreciate the insight and the help very much. Thanks 😃

Consider condensation ....... our toilet tank "sweats" with the change in temperature to the point that we place a towel underneath to catch the drips. The collection of moisture is clear to see on the surface of the tank.
Thanks! I definitely noticed the underside of the tank lid did have beads of water and I'm almost wondering if it collected from the underside and dripped over the edge. I do live in the desert where it never gets that humid, but on the day when it happened, I remembered it feeling "more" humid than usual. I keep the house at 86 degrees cause I love the warmth... and I'm cheap. ...and it keeps guests away lol

Tom thanks for the suggestion. I was considering doing that. However, I have hard water and am a little worried if I turn that valve off, that it may leak from that gasket? I read something about that. Am I being a little too paranoid now? Appreciate the insight and the help very much. Thanks 😃
Rob, what gasket are you talking about??

Rob, what gasket are you talking about??
I read that water can leak from that shutoff valve at the water line to the bowl. I'm assuming there must be a rubber gasket or something that can fail? Thanks again. Sorry to keep bothering you.

Back