Water Heater on a Grade - Level?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water Heater Enclosure is on a slight grade. Do you level, or not really worry about it?

• If it's a slight enough grade that you didn't notice it at first, it shouldn't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should level it, regardless. How, exactly, is your issue.

• There are tools specifically for this setup.

• I've seen this before and it doesn't require leveling.

• I've never seen this before, you're outta luck.

• Total voters

BGPhil

Reaction score
Water heater setup is a little odd. Location is in a cabinet built into the outside of the condo. As you exit out the back door of the garage, there's another door right next to it. Inside is tiny room - plenty deep and wide and high enough for a larger water heater than currently installed (50 gal.).

Floor is lined with galvanized steel. But it's also on a slight grade for drainage. There's also a drain pipe from the water heater that leads to the outside through an opening just large enough for that pipe.

The room/enclosure is about 2 feet off the ground (higher than that at the rear).

The question is to level, or not to level? In Michigan, I recall my parents had the unit on a small pedestal in the basement, the floor of which was graded toward a drain, as well, so the heater leaned ever so slightly I'm presuming this will be the same. Here in California, I'm not sure whether it works differently.

Secondary question - has anyone run into this type of outdoor setup before?

My thanks - in advance - for any input.

BGP

It may not matter much, and would only be an issue if it wss so out of plumb that it was trapping air in the dome top. But I’m pretty sure it would tip over if thaat out of plumb, and not seismically strapped.

I would definitely get some plastic shims and get it vertical.

But, I’m the guy spending a couple of hundred extra to add a couple of hydraulic circuits to my tractor, becauuse just running rubber hoses held in place with zip ties, all over is upsetting to me, and I have to have stainless tubing, in mounting blocks which at least look like the factory ones.. And I have to buy 8-ft long pieces, instead of 6-footers, because an extra fitting that doesn’t need to be there is upsetting.

Latest posts

Back