Water hammer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfowl

Reaction score
Wondering if what I'm dealing with is water hammer, and what a solution would be. Happens as my washer is filling at the beginning of wash cycle, and again when it fills to rinse. Only way to stop it, is to stop the washer from filling and run upstairs to turn on the water in the bathtub. If it does fill without banging, the hammering will start if the toilet is flushed while filling. It's incredibly frustrating and if I can fix it without paying a fortune for a plumber, that would be awesome.

You can buy a gauge at most hardware stores that screw onto an outside hose faucet
Ok, I will run out and grab one. Do I just screw it to the outside water faucet and turn it on? And what should my pressure be at? I appreciate your help!

Ok, I will run out and grab one. Do I just screw it to the outside water faucet and turn it on? And what should my pressure be at? I appreciate your help!

try it outside first snd see what it reads. Shouldn’t exceed 80psi

Sorry it took me a couple days, had to order a gauge. Tested it and it's 62 psi. Now the hammering is worse though.

Has anything changed recently ? New washing machine hoses ? Has anyone operated any stop valves outside or inside lately ?

Odd that it just started

It has been happening occasionally for a while now. But never been a huge issue until now. About a year ago, the city gas company, who's been running new meters to every house in the city, came to our house to re route our line to the new gas meter outside. They had a plumber there to turn off the water and run a camera in the pipe to make sure the new line didn't interfere with the water line. I feel like it was some point after that we began having problems but can't be sure thats why. No new hoses on the washer. And I'm not sure about stop valves or what those even are (forgive me, I am just a housewife that really doesn't know anything about plumbing!) We did turn the water off and open all the faucets to fully drain the pipes to see if helped but unfortunately seemed to make it worse.

Install some of the water hammer arrestors that JeffL suggested in post #7 above.

You may have a failing washing machine water inlet solenoid valve.

Try washing in just cold or just in hot water and see when it happens.

Make sure your hot/cold water supply valves are fully opened.

If they’re fully opened already and you’re getting noise, close them half way.

The point is try to make some changes and get the problem to change. Then you can maybe determine how to proceed.

Latest posts

Back