Water Hammer/Knocking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis4224

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been hearing an occasional water hammer sound after the master bathroom faucets or shower have been used. We get slight sputter at the beginning of turning on the faucet making me thing there's a tiny bit of air in the system somehow. I hear it in the walls and the sound occurs once...then maybe a couple more times intermittently over an a couple hours before stopping for the night. I took a water pressure gauge and saw that the pressure coming into the house was 75-80 psi so I had a plumber install a Watts PRV with bypass valve and that reduced the pressure to about 55 psi. Now I am thinking that I should add a Thermal Expansion tank which is typically a good thing to do but still wonder if that's the source of the issue if the PRV has a bypass valve.

The other thing in the back of my mind is that the home we purchased had the master bathroom redone by an unlicensed contractor whom I am beginning to question their quality of work. No idea what else could cause the "knock" sound after we install a TE tank.

Thanks for any help

Back