Washer drain line backing up even after I thought line was clear

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Martin

Reaction score
Had what I thought was a simply fixed problem. Washer drain line was backing up. Snaked the line at least 20'-30' before getting the cable stuck. Not sure if it got hung up on the clog or a fitting or joint in the line, but the cable was ruined after much effort to remove it. When it finally came out there was nothing on it. Planning to replace the cable this weekend. In the meantime, I tried a rubber drain bladder attached to a water hose to use water pressure to force the clog through. It seemed to work as it was supposed to, but after the first and second attempts the line still backed up when draining the washer. On the 3rd try I just let the water run for at least 10 minutes. Still backed up afterward. I can't figure out how it can back up from just one washer load of water but not from leaving the water running for so long. The first time I used the drain bladder it was about 3' into the line (as directions called for). On the third attempt the bladder was just inside the mouth of the line. Any ideas???

what size cable are you using????if you are forcing the cable thru the stoppage that will just twist up the cable if the cable is to small it wont do the job if there is access to your drain after your laundry access that and use all of the cable in the drum go back and forth as you are snaking don't stop until the head comes back clean... if you hit the blockage and cant get thru and the head comes back shinny your drain may be broken

As questioned by CT18 above, a new washer could exceed the drain flow capabilities of an existing gravity waste system.
You didn't mention if this is something that just started happening without any changes being made.
The flow from a pressurized drain bladder is quite different than a gravity flow from a washing machines standpipe.

Latest posts

Back