Up to code?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souper

Reaction score
I was inspecting the area beneath our bathtub and I noticed that there was a few square feet of dirt exposed.

Is it up-to-code if the soil is exposed like this?

20160315_073410.jpg

get a gallon of NON FIBERED roofing tar

and a 2'x 1' piece of card board.

and a 3' square of card board

place the big piece on the floor in front of tub

fold the 24x12 in half long ways

stuff the folded piece under the tub and pour the tar onto the card board.

WATCH what your doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you pour to much,,,that **** is HELL to clean up

after you have covered the dirt....place the can on the 3x3 card board and the spout you made

seal the can...pick it up and carry it outside....DO NOT DRIP ON THE FLOOR

It wasn't SO bad once I was introduced to unfibered tar. But when I first started, the sadistic, stupid, fart breathed SOB purchasing agent for the company I was working for decided that it would be cheaper to buy fibered roofing tar to fill tub boxouts with. I used to dig holes in the ground and start fires in the holes with scrap lumber. Then put a couple of 2x4's across the top of the hole, and set the 5 gallon bucket of tar on top of it. Wait until it started getting really hot and runny, then grab it up and run into the apartment building to pour it into the tub boxouts. And then my boss would ***** at me for using so much tar.

I ran into that purchasing agent earlier this year, and I still hate him. 21 years later.

It used to be common practice, almost a code requirement, to use tar to seal the boxed out area in the concrete that was left open for the bath tub drains.

Back