Easiest way to install washer/dryer in NY apartment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchyInNY

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am new to this forum and hope that I am posting this question in the correct section. I also have 0 knowledge on plumbing, so I apologize in advance if my questions are very basic.

Background:
We would like to install a washer and a dryer in an existing bathroom and would like to minimum cost and effort.
The attached map can help visualize the current and future state that we are considering:
  • The red boxes:
    • Currently: The sink.
    • Future state: The washer and the dryer.
  • The blue:
    • Currently empty.
    • Future state: Sink.
20240521_152657.jpgIMG-20240516-WA0002.jpg

The second picture will likely help you understand the current sink installation.

My key questions:
1. Our thinking is that we should not move the toilet to minimize the cost. Do you have any recommendations on a better configuration, or do you think that we have a good future state/target?
2. Is it feasible to leverage the existing water, waste and vent system for both the sink and washer/dryer? If yes, how do we manage the sink since it will be far from the current pipes? Can the waste line be extended since the sink will be far from the water line and waste in the proposed future state?
3. Should I be aware of any specific regulation in NY (size of water or waste lines if shared by both sink = washer/dryer, vent mechanism etc)

Appreciate your help. We have been struggling to get a direct answer to these questions from our current plumber.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Have you considered using the single washer/dryer combo? Sure would save you space.

Yes, I'm afraid you will likely have an issue with moving the sink farther away from its current location. Not knowing the configuration of the plumbing inside the wall, the best and/or most cost-effective way to do this will be hard to determine.

Are you wanting a normal washer and dryer or a small apartment combo unit like below? Below is a Frigidaire combo unit that would save some space. It requires a drain capable of 17 GPM. It would need a trapped and vented standpipe.

1716383055801.png

Yes, I'm afraid you will likely have an issue with moving the sink farther away from its current location. Not knowing the configuration of the plumbing inside the wall, the best and/or most cost-effective way to do this will be hard to determine.

Are you wanting a normal washer and dryer or a small apartment combo unit like below? Below is a Frigidaire combo unit that would save some space. It requires a drain capable of 17 GPM. It would need a trapped and vented standpipe.

View attachment 45383
Thank you for your feedback.
What's the best next step I should take in order to determine the most cost effective way to proceed? Should we open the wall to review the plumbing configuration? Do you see a need to open the floor?

We will definitely consider this option for the washer/dryer combo that you and Havasu recommended, thank you.

Yes, you will need to open up the wall to see what the drain piping looks like. You need something like below for your washing machine.

1716388441094.png

And depending on the code you are under, here are some more dimensions that will come into play.

1716388540256.png

1716388991712.png

Yes, you will need to open up the wall to see what the drain piping looks like. You need something like below for your washing machine.

View attachment 45385

And depending on the code you are under, here are some more dimensions that will come into play.

View attachment 45386

View attachment 45387
Thank you so much, it makes so much more sense now.
I tried to draw what I understood so far, see attached.
20240522_112021.jpg
Does this drawing look directionally correct, or am I missing anything major? is it fair to represent two different arms (one for washer and one for sink), at different heights, but both connected to the same waste stack?

If I understand correctly, the key regulation points are as follows (please correct me if I misunderstood):
1) Ensure that the distance between the trap and vent/waste stack as well as circumference of the arm follow either IRC or UPC guideline, depending on applicable local rules.
2) Respect the heights minimum and maximum for standpipes and arms
So if I follow correctly, we may need to change the plumbing connecting to water lines and waste stack.

Also this made me wonder: Is there any risk we need to change the actual waste stack line or water line? Any risk we would need to open the floor for the waste line? If I understand correctly, answer to both is no, but prefer to check with you.

Many thanks again for your help.

A couple of questions. Are there apartments, bathrooms, or any fixture drains above your existing bathroom? Do you know the waste stack is in the wall as indicated in your sketch?
I've marked up your sketch with a few comments assuming the stack is where you indicate and that there are no fixtures draining into the stack above your bathroom.
1716417608427.png

A couple of questions. Are there apartments, bathrooms, or any fixture drains above your existing bathroom? Do you know the waste stack is in the wall as indicated in your sketch?
I've marked up your sketch with a few comments assuming the stack is where you indicate and that there are no fixtures draining into the stack above your bathroom.
View attachment 45391
Thank you for the detailed inputs. I added my responses in blue below.
Are there apartments, bathrooms, or any fixture drains above your existing bathroom? Yes, the apartment on the floor above ours (and one floor below too) has a bathroom above our existing bathroom. Will that be an issue?
Do you know the waste stack is in the wall as indicated in your sketch? I believe I remember my super saying that the waste stack and water supply are in the column on the right side (i.e., the wall is broader/thicker on that side of the wall - see picture). We will try to open the wall to confirm, I will let you know as soon as we open it (next week likely).
In our bathroom, there is a small window covered by a mirror above the sink currently (above the washer standpipe on my future state sketch, above the sink currently, see picture). Would that prevent the combo fitting? I updated the sketch based on your feedback and to represent the windows, does it look better? Combo fitting to potentially go through the (lower) ceiling, if that's allowed?

Screenshot_20240522_191903_Chrome.jpg

20240522_192223.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

You may have separate waste, soil, and vent stacks in your building. As there are flows coming down the waste stack identified in your wall, you cannot use that as a vent as wastewater can come down that line into the vents of your fixtures. So, you need additional investigation into the DWV (Drain-Waste-Vent) system to be able to determine how to proceed.

And as you are in New York City, I assume you will need a licensed plumber to perform this work.

You may have separate waste, soil, and vent stacks in your building. As there are flows coming down the waste stack identified in your wall, you cannot use that as a vent as wastewater can come down that line into the vents of your fixtures. So, you need additional investigation into the DWV (Drain-Waste-Vent) system to be able to determine how to proceed.

And as you are in New York City, I assume you will need a licensed plumber to perform this work.
I see, thank you for the clarification.
We will open the walls / continue the investigation into the DWV system with the plumber then.
Thank for spending the time to educate me on these points, I really appreciate it.

Not a code issue, but if you are in a condo or co-op, you may need the approval of the board or building owner to add another appliance that discharges into the building's plumbing system. Many buildings in NYC are old, and the plumbing systems may not be designed to handle the additional wastewater discharge. Also, make sure you have the electrical capacity to handle an additional appliance.

Not a code issue, but if you are in a condo or co-op, you may need the approval of the board or building owner to add another appliance that discharges into the building's plumbing system. Many buildings in NYC are old, and the plumbing systems may not be designed to handle the additional wastewater discharge. Also, make sure you have the electrical capacity to handle an additional appliance.
Thank you. Yes, we will seek an approval from the building management team.

Latest posts

Back