Tub and washer machine connected same drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan1340

Reaction score
Hi I live in a three family house and the floor above has there Tub and washer machine connected same drain. So when the washer drains it back up in to the tub and sometime leaks down to my floor. I moved one of the drop ceiling tile and found they are both connected to a y pvc fitting. Is there some way to make it possible for pipe going to the tub only drains and not allow the washer to go into that pipe?

Depends on what kind of access you have, and how much it is backing up. In some cases simply moving the Y further down the pipe will help (longer individual pipes will hold more water) but the proper solution here is to either run both separately to the stack, or to run them into a larger diameter pipe and then to the stack.

It is also possible that there is some sort of blockage or buildup in the line. Running a snake through the system certainly couldn't hurt anything.

Depending on your level of proficiency and the amount of access you have, I would agree with Ironwood. Your best bet is probably to call in a professional to rework the piping. i would definitely try snaking the system first though, since it is unlikely (but certainly not unheard of) that the original plumber left a backed up system in place.

Back