Trickling sound when water is added to toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The level in the tank has nothing to do with the level in the bowl. The level in the bowl is established by the level of the internal trap of the toilet. The tank level is to provide the proper amount of water to perform a good flush in that toilet. You can adjust the level in the tank, but as long as it is at or above the mark and is at least a 1/4" or so below the overflow tube you are fine.

It would be a good experiment to turn off the water, flush the toilet and hold the lever up until all the water that can flow out under the flapper has drained into the bowl, and then pour the water into the bowl and see if you still hear that noise. That would for sure take the tank mechanisms out of the equation.

Thanks for the explanation! I understand a bit more now. So if I do that test and still hear what sounds like raindrops on a window, what would be the next move at that point? I don't have a great track record with hearing things and wanting to tear up a wall to investigate lol. 0-2 actually, one was we just needed to run some water through the tub p-trap and the other was a mild clog, so that won't fly too well with the family.

Looks like from the diagrams, the waste pipe is all that's really in play pipe-wise if I'm only hearing this when adding water/waste to the bowl? I imagine if that noise was waste pipe leaking I'd REALLY know by now.

I'm so stumped with this but it's killing me not really knowing. I'll try the test you suggest first and hope it's one of the tank components.

Often people describe a water pipe expanding against the structure as a “ drip “ of water in the wall.

I have some tips.

When you use a toilet, flush it when your finished. Every time.

Walk away.

If you think it’s leaking, dye test the tank.

Toilets have many unexposed water ways and water moves through these voids when you piss in the toilet and when you pour a cup of water into the bowl when the trap is full.

If this sound bothers you, replace the toilet if you’re sure it’s not coming from somewhere else other than the toilet.

Toilets should be flushed every time to prevent mineral build up from urine. This build up can cause trickles and drip sounds from inside the bowl after the toilet is used.

The level in the tank can have an affect on the water spot. The water spot is what you call the water in the bowl.

There are many designs of toilets, they’re all not the same.

Some water spots are controlled by the flush of the toilet and have an automatic prime of the trap (the water spot) and some do not.

Some toilets, most tank type, rely on a mechanical prime of the S-trap. Most ballcocks have a refill tube for the purpose of the mechanical priming of the trap.

Some toilets the refill rate of the ballcocks refill tube is GREATER than with other ballcocks. This is to prime the trap and to have the water level to the proper height to insure a proper flush.

If your water spot is not up to proper levels the toilet will function poorly.

To check for leaks from the tank to the bowl we use dye. The contrast between the dyed tank water and the bowl is used. If the dyed water enters the bowl it can be clearly observed. That means you have a leak.

Water has two places to go once it leaves the tank. Either on the floor or into the bowl and once the water spot is established and the trap reaches critical level, the water exits the bowl.

Urinating in a toilet and then listening for sounds before flushing is unnatural and you might expect to hear water moving as the trap is overflowed through the toilet. JUST FLUSH THE TOILET AND WALK AWAY.

The level in the tank can have an affect on the water spot. The water spot is what you call the water in the bowl.

There are many designs of toilets, they’re all not the same.

Some water spots are controlled by the flush of the toilet and have an automatic prime of the trap (the water spot) and some do not.

Some toilets, most tank type, rely on a mechanical prime of the S-trap. Most ballcocks have a refill tube for the purpose of the mechanical priming of the trap.

Some toilets the refill rate of the ballcocks refill tube is GREATER than with other ballcocks. This is to prime the trap and to have the water level to the proper height to insure a proper flush.

If your water spot is not up to proper levels the toilet will function poorly.

To check for leaks from the tank to the bowl we use dye. The contrast between the dyed tank water and the bowl is used. If the dyed water enters the bowl it can be clearly observed. That means you have a leak.

Water has two places to go once it leaves the tank. Either on the floor or into the bowl and once the water spot is established and the trap reaches critical level, the water exits the bowl.

Urinating in a toilet and then listening for sounds before flushing is unnatural and you might expect to hear water moving as the trap is overflowed through the toilet. JUST FLUSH THE TOILET AND WALK AWAY.
:)-good post !

I dyed the tank using some tablets, nothing in the bowl. Since this is a new noise, my only concern was that after leaving the bowl the water was somehow dripping onto the subfloor below which I can't see. That's my only concern at this point. I don't know how feasible/rational that is but if it's exiting through the sewer pipe as normal and I'm just hearing this new noise (which to my ear sounds like water dripping on a dry solid area) for some reason for the first time in the decades I've lived here, then yeah so be it.

Last edited:
As you have verified that the tank has nothing to do with the sound you are hearing, and the sound you are hearing is only when water or other liquid is added to the bowl, then I would not expect anything would happen when you are away.

I'm thinking the next step should be to pull the toilet and inspect the condition of the underside of the toilet, the wax ring, the closet flange, and the sewer line.

Back