Trickling sound when water is added to toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1111

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster and have been stumped by a potential issue with my toilet.

After either using it (#1) or pouring some water in as a test, I hear a fairly immediate trickling in the drain. Not making the noise when not in use. From other threads I've searched it seems this typically is just the water displacement but what I'm stumped about is, I just started hearing this today, after years and years of using the same toilet so I'm a bit confused since a lot of the similar issues I read were traced to new installs that created a new noise so to speak.

Since there's no new construction in the surrounding area, not a new toilet and I'm not seeing any leaks, nor hearing anything when it's not in use and my novice visual inspection of the tank components seems fine, fill tube, flapper (could probably replace anyway but for now seems seated fine/no drip noise), etc, the obsessiveness in figuring this out is killing me haha.

Like what would suddenly cause this noise to occur at this point in time? Is it possible the p-trap is more full than it was before for some reason? It seemed to start after a toilet cleaning but that seems coincidental to me. Is there potentially some mild blockage somewhere that needs remediation? I'm trying to wrap my head around why now (and to ask the fine folks in here if this could be the beginning of some bigger issue I'm not aware of).

I tried running some surrounding fixtures but that doesn't seem to trigger the noise, so I'm not sure if it could be the seal wearing away (can that happen over time?). I see no water on the floor thankfully. It's on the upper level and a subfloor is between that and the bottom floor but I should probably still see some signs of water if there was a leak I think. Water level in the tank and bowl seem normal to me.

I don't know, I'm stumped as to what would cause this noise to start after so many years and just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that was going to get worse over time and be much more costly than just addressing it now. Problem is I can't figure out what that is lol.

Thanks so much, hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Thanks much! I shall check that tonight. Quick question though, I don't think I've ever changed that and we've lived here for 15 years or so, would that be something that would change over time on its own leading to that issue? It's just weird because I've never heard this sound before and I've not replaced anything on the toilet except maybe the flapper and the seat in 15 years lol. Maybe that's the problem though and something's degraded at this point?

Anyways I'll check it out, appreciate it!

One other thing I thought I'd ask. The rim jets definitely need to be cleaned out, we have hard water and I had a flush come up on me and then flush out super quick and it seemed like that was definitely because the rim jets are clogged.

Could clogged rim jets be responsible for this noise you think? I'll get in there this weekend regardless.

Thanks!

Took a look and so uhhhh it seems the fill tube is not sitting over the overflow tube at all but more kind of just hanging out on its own over the tank.

I imagine it's been like this for years since I've never really researched this before (or knew where it should be). If it's been like this for years is this the issue? Can leaving it where it is for years like this cause any problems?

My other bathroom toilet has the same position where the fill tube isn't going into the overflow tube but kind of hanging out. Weird.

Thanks!

My fault, I thought I had added it originally. Sorry about that.thumbnail.jpg

Oops, that refill tube adds water to the bowl to assure the water level in the bowl is correct. It needs to be inserted into that little round tube holder, so it is above the overflow tube. From the angle of the picture, it looks like your float arm might be interfering with the refill tube. It also looks like your water level is above the mark on the back of the tank. You can adjust the tank level with the Phillips heads screw on top of the fill valve.

Thanks! I'll remedy those things. Just curious though, if it's always been like this and the fill tube isn't siphoning water out when I go to the bathroom or whatever, what is accounting for this new faint noise I'm hearing when I add water to the bowl.

This is why I don't like the float balls. It seems the float is pulling the tubing from its designated position. Get a Fluidmaster 400, eliminate the ball, and place the tubing into the hole.

1690553300549.png

Thanks! I'll remedy those things. Just curious though, if it's always been like this and the fill tube isn't siphoning water out when I go to the bathroom or whatever, what is accounting for this new faint noise I'm hearing when I add water to the bowl.
The reason it is not siphoning is because the tubing is laying on the float rod, out of the water.

Thanks all! Appreciate it, will do those things. The new noise is still confusing to me since it's been like that for years but I'll definitely follow all your advices.

Quick question: I have to go help my father who's been ill, probably take me a few weeks and I'd prefer to tackle this when I return. I assume if it's been like this for years, that it's not in danger of some immediate meltdown (I'm only hearing the trickle when I use it at least at this point). I can remedy when I get back?

Thanks again and hope you all have a great weekend! Much appreciated.

Just ran a quick test. Poured some water in the bowl and nothing is going on in the tank that I can see. Fill tube doesn't have anything going in or out but I'm hearing a tapping sound more behind the tank or under the bowl (I can't really pinpoint) for about 5 seconds after water going into the bowl, then just goes away unless I add more water to the bowl.

Could there be some pipe leak somewhere? I don't see any water but there's a sub floor underneath and wouldn't a pipe leak of that nature just be constant still, not when I add some water to the bowl?

Just wanted to make sure I can leave it be for a few weeks without coming back to water. Guess I could just leave the bowl/tank drained for a few weeks?

Just weird though, no constant tapping sound, only when I add water but I don't see anything happening in the tank. I have a lot to learn but I'm trying lol.

Sounds and looks like you need a new flapper. That sounds like water escaping into your bowl.

Thanks Havasu! I actually think I have a spare on hand.

Quick question for my own understanding/learning. What's the science behind only hearing a leaking flapper if I'm adding some water to the bowl or is it sort of a me problem where it's kind of always happening but I'm only able to hear it at certain times like after water is added?

Do leaking flappers have different types of sounds? When the flapper in our bedroom bathroom was leaking it sounded more like a higher pitched trickle, this one sounds more like a dull tapping for a few seconds after I add water which got me a bit nervous it was a leak hitting some drywall somewhere, though it seems like that could only happen if the supply line was compromised and thus would be hearing it constantly since it's always "on" so to speak.

Thanks again for all your patience as I try to learn as much as I can with some of the inner workings!

Are the bolts in the bottom of the tank on each side of the flapper rusted ?

So, let me clarify what I think you are saying. Everything is quiet, the toilet is not running, you sit down and there is no trickling noise. Then you pee, and you hear a tricking noise. This sound happens before you flush. Also, everything is quiet, the toilet is not running, you pour water into the bowl, and you then hear the trickling noise without flushing the toilet. And this just started happening after you cleaned the toilet.

If this is correct, the sound appears to be caused by the water flowing out of the toilet and presumably into your sewer, as you have not experienced any evidence of a leak from your toilet. While the sound isn't totally normal, it appears that the toilet is operating as designed.

A serious question is, how did you clean the toilet?

A funny question is, have you just gotten a new pair of hearing aids? LOL!

Yeah you got it. More like a tapping than a trickling noise lol. No noise at all when not in use, then while peeing after the water is hitting the bowl (or while I pour a cup of water into the bowl), I get a tapping sound that sounds like drips hitting something solid, then a few seconds after I'm done, no noise. No noise while or really after flushing either (at least from what I can hear).

I'm not sure about the cleaning as my wife did it when we were having company over and I was out at the time. I know she used one of those pumice stone things to clean the bottom of the bowl a bit but I'm assuming it would take one of hell of an iron grip to make a bowl leak from cleaning it with something meant for cleaning it.

Is it possible she dumped some hair or something that would cause a mild clog and this is the effects of that, some extra water in the P-trap or something? I just have no idea at this point, I don't get why I'd only hear it while I pee into the bowl and not constantly.

Thanks again for everyone's help, it's driving me crazy not solving this lol!

Back