Quantcast

Toilet water lowers when draining tub

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

HereinVa

Reaction score
So here goes....

When I drain my guest bathtub, the toilet water lowers at least an inch. Also, the toilet flushes with too much or not enough air, it kind of labors but functions fine otherwise.

Ive manually snaked roof vent, tub drain and the toilet-not sure if I went far enough, only have 25ft auger.

Finally, the outside sewer cap/clean out pipe goes down horizontal like. I snaked that and went as far as it could go. Still no fix.

The picture is the interior drain pip on bottom floor. Can I snake there?

What am I missing? Totally off the trail?

Thanks

Attachments

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have venting or lack of venting issues sounds like the toilet is being siphoned when the tub drains, I think that's why your toilet doesn't flush like it should
You didn't say whether this just started
Or always has been an issue that would be helpful

HereinVa

Reaction score
Hey,

The toilet flush problem has been 4 months or so. The water lowering was noticed around 2 months ago-maybe.

I only noticed the water draining slow out of the tub when my wife told me. I then happened to look at the toilet and water lowers every time it drains. Overall the last 6 months is a good time base.

thanks

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
You probably still have a partial clog in a drain line.

Probably time for a pro to snake all the affected drains.

You might have snaked into a clog but not enough to break it up.

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that's stuck in your toilet is acting like a wick you need to pull the toilet and check the outlet of the toilet and while the toilets off run a long snake dow the drain so you know that's clear

HereinVa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I did the toilet already but, I certainly didn’t get too far past the bend. I’ll try again and get back to y’all.

cheers

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
You can get about three to six feet with a toilet auger, depending what model you have.

Snaking through a toilet with a skinny little snake made for a sink drain does not work.
It is too skinny and will just whip around if it hits anything.
It won’t dig into a clog, because the walls of the drain are too wide to keep the floppy snake under control.

You can push a thicker snake through a toilet, but it will usually mark up the bowl very badly, sometimes you can clean up the marks with ultra fine wet sanding paper.

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ment to snake dthe main drain when you had the toilet off
Something that's stuck in your toilet is acting like a wick you need to pull the toilet and check the outlet of the toilet and while the toilets off run a long snake dow the drain so you know that's clear

Last edited: