Toilet water lowers when draining tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HereinVa

Reaction score
So here goes....

When I drain my guest bathtub, the toilet water lowers at least an inch. Also, the toilet flushes with too much or not enough air, it kind of labors but functions fine otherwise.

Ive manually snaked roof vent, tub drain and the toilet-not sure if I went far enough, only have 25ft auger.

Finally, the outside sewer cap/clean out pipe goes down horizontal like. I snaked that and went as far as it could go. Still no fix.

The picture is the interior drain pip on bottom floor. Can I snake there?

What am I missing? Totally off the trail?

Thanks

Attachments

• EBB2EFA1-2B3A-4A63-9930-D4AB6874594A.jpeg
    EBB2EFA1-2B3A-4A63-9930-D4AB6874594A.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 3
It sounds like you have venting or lack of venting issues sounds like the toilet is being siphoned when the tub drains, I think that's why your toilet doesn't flush like it should
You didn't say whether this just started
Or always has been an issue that would be helpful

Hey,

The toilet flush problem has been 4 months or so. The water lowering was noticed around 2 months ago-maybe.

I only noticed the water draining slow out of the tub when my wife told me. I then happened to look at the toilet and water lowers every time it drains. Overall the last 6 months is a good time base.

thanks

You probably still have a partial clog in a drain line.

Probably time for a pro to snake all the affected drains.

You might have snaked into a clog but not enough to break it up.

Something that's stuck in your toilet is acting like a wick you need to pull the toilet and check the outlet of the toilet and while the toilets off run a long snake dow the drain so you know that's clear

Thanks everyone.

I did the toilet already but, I certainly didn’t get too far past the bend. I’ll try again and get back to y’all.

cheers

You can get about three to six feet with a toilet auger, depending what model you have.

Snaking through a toilet with a skinny little snake made for a sink drain does not work.
It is too skinny and will just whip around if it hits anything.
It won’t dig into a clog, because the walls of the drain are too wide to keep the floppy snake under control.

You can push a thicker snake through a toilet, but it will usually mark up the bowl very badly, sometimes you can clean up the marks with ultra fine wet sanding paper.

I ment to snake dthe main drain when you had the toilet off
Something that's stuck in your toilet is acting like a wick you need to pull the toilet and check the outlet of the toilet and while the toilets off run a long snake dow the drain so you know that's clear

Last edited:
Hello, this is a late response, sorry about that.

County water

The issue still exists. The only change has been the tub bogging down after 3-5 seconds after lifting the stopper. The toilet drains down about 2.5 inches. It has always been about the much, not one inch.

I’ve used my 25 ft auger up to the end down both stacks on my roof and in the tub. I’ve also used a 6ft toilet auger. Even tried pouring cleaner.

I have not done the hose trick yet, worth a try? Also, the picture, is that an option for access. All other areas have walls and ceilings covering the plumbing.

Ideas?

After all this time I did remember something from about 2 years ago or so. Once after I had cleared my lines, while getting air out and stuff, I did flush that toilet feeling and hearing a loud thud in the walls, specifically involving the toilet. Didn’t notice an issue at the time.

Thanks

You probably still have a partial clog in a drain line.

Probably time for a pro to snake all the affected drains.

You might have snaked into a clog but not enough to break it up.

I’m going to second Jeff Handys recommendation in the above post.

What type of auger did you use down the roof vent stack?

It needs to be suitable for a three or four inch pipe.

If you used a typical 1/4 or 5/16 inch drain auger, those are too thin and flexible to use in a large pipe like a vent stack.
They will just whip around uselessly.

That thump might have been some debris sliding in the toilet vent.

Or it could have been a big clog shifting in the toilet drain line.

Time to call in pros with better tools, techniques, and cameras.

Yeah. I will kick myself if it’s just a matter of needing longer stuff to hit the clog. But, I’d rather pay, learn and watch what they do regardless. Better than buying tools and wasting money if don’t need them.

problem is finding a company that won’t require the customer wearing a face diaper In their home.

clown world

What type of auger did you use down the roof vent stack?

It needs to be suitable for a three or four inch pipe.

If you used a typical 1/4 or 5/16 inch drain auger, those are too thin and flexible to use in a large pipe like a vent stack.
They will just whip around uselessly.

That thump might have been some debris sliding in the toilet vent.

Or it could have been a big clog shifting in the toilet drain line.

Time to call in pros with better tools, techniques, and cameras.
Hey,

I pulled my toilet, used a 50ft drain auger and nothing. It went all the way down and up with no resistance. Clear to 50 ft at least. Next I drained the tub and a little bit of water appeared in the toilet drain, then receded after the tub drained. Not sure if that’s normal. No changes with my issue regardless.

I did not get on my roof with it due to the rain.

Referring to the picture, is that center cap supposed to be removable if needed? That is my drain line next to my stack line, yes?

Trust me, I’m done with it. Calling someone next week just want to know what I’m looking at.

Thanks

So here goes....

When I drain my guest bathtub, the toilet water lowers at least an inch. Also, the toilet flushes with too much or not enough air, it kind of labors but functions fine otherwise.

Ive manually snaked roof vent, tub drain and the toilet-not sure if I went far enough, only have 25ft auger.

Finally, the outside sewer cap/clean out pipe goes down horizontal like. I snaked that and went as far as it could go. Still no fix.

The picture is the interior drain pip on bottom floor. Can I snake there?

What am I missing? Totally off the trail?

Thanks

Attachments

• 251656C2-4FCA-43E2-81D8-3B26E15C070E.jpeg
    251656C2-4FCA-43E2-81D8-3B26E15C070E.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back