Toilet Rough In

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsfrance

Reaction score
Im replacing three toilets in my home and I did a quick rough in measurement on all three and they seem to be about 12.75 to 13.75 from the back of the wall to the middle of the bolt cap. All of the toilets in Lowes that I am looking at have a 12 inch rough in. Am I correct in assuming that there is no problem with these new toilets fitting properly? Thanks for any help.

tsfrance

Standard rough in measurements are exactly as you've stated, 12" to 13." However, if your rough in was 11" from the centerline of your toilet flange to the back wall then you would have a problem.

You will be fine

Thanks. I picked up the 3 toilets today and I installed one and it went really smooth. Do I need to caulk around the toilet base? I wasn't sure and I did and I really hate caulking because I seem to make a mess. If I can avoid it with the next two toilets, that would really be great. Is it necessary??

More important than caulking is leveling, in my honest opinion. Be sure to use a 2' level and make sure that both the side ways and forward and back ways are level. If not level add lead shims under the base to bring it to level. Caulking helps to secure the toilet and looks professional.

For a little hint on the caulking, use blue painter's tape on the floor, all tight around the toilet base. Run another line of tape on the base of the toilet itself, about 1/4" away from your existing floor tape. Use color match or white caulk, spread tight and thin in the gap, spread with spit on your finger, then quickly remove all the tape. You will be left with a professional, good looking line of caulk around your base of the toilet. Just don't use the toilet until the caulking dries.

Many professionals will recommending only caulking the two sides and the front of the toilet, so if you have water leaking from the wax ring, you will be able to notice this.

Caulking isn't necessary but I prefer to do it on a tile floor, with clear, not white caulking. Only reason I find that over time people tend to shift the front of the bowl from bearin down in a good crunch. I caulk about 3/4 the way around the base, leaving the back open to spot any wax seal leaks

i disagree with my buddy Matt30

caulking is a health and safety issue.

the reason toilets are required to be caulked is because pee pee splash's on the floor and gets under the toilet

this is a health and safety issue.

as per the UPC code all fixtures are required to be caulked.

I have found using tile grout is better than caulk on toilets,,,keeps it from moving

No mention about caulking fixtures in my code (I just searched thru my book). Weird! I say it's good practice to do so, but not an absolute necessity

Back