Toilet making small slurping noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmyth

Reaction score
My toilet is making a very small slurping noise. It seems to be emanating from the tank. In the bowl I don't really see any movement, maybe the tiniest bit. When I lift up on the float arm the sound stops. I've tried tightening the screw on the top of the mechanism and it seems to stop it for the moment but next time I go by the toilet it is happening again.

I have the flapper with the arm and the float model. I know these may not be the proper technical terms but I'm trying my best.

It's a little bothersome and I'm concerned that it may be wasting water, although I don't hear the sound of water filling, just the little slurping sound.

How can I fix that and do you think it's wasting water?

Unless it is your dog slurping water from the toilet bowl, it may be time to replace your tank guts. You can pick up a replacement Fluidmaster 400a for ~$9.00 at any big box hardware store.

Also check the flapper and confirm it is sealing good by running your finger between the tank and the flapper for any calcium or gunk build up.

fluidmaster 400a.jpg

Slurping toilet? Usually means that you are not feeding it enough.:D

On a more serious note, I would try replacing the fill valve, and probably the flapper as well, along with checking for buildup on the flapper seat.

I agree with the above. the one thing I would do is turn off the water to the toilet, put a few drops of food coloring in the tank and watch to see if the color leaks into your toilet bowl. That will identify a flapper leak. typically, however, if ya change out the fill-valve ya change the flapper also. Just charge yourself an extra $10 for the cost of the flapper.:rolleyes:

Back