mix valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
are they all pretty much subject to fail after ~5 years or so? Had to cut out a Taco that failed. I assume the check on the hot side. But capped the cold as the hot is more important.
But this is inconvenient as I used the mix valve output to fill a 100g tank with a turtle in it. The hot comes right off the boiler so it's way to hot and thereby inconvenient.

But what might be a better replacement, if there is one? That's not in$ane.
Would something like this last longer and do the job.? I assume it has checks as well.
Is there something with a shorter length? Don't have 4" to fit this into. I would prefer 1/4 turn valves, though.

Need to be pottable for the turtles.
I need 3/4 male hose thread to connect the fill hose.
Or am I better off with another Taco 5000 and just deal with the eventual fail.?

I think you can buy replacement cartridges for those or take the parts out and soak in vinegar if your concerned about hot or cold cross over use a couple of unions and ips check valves so if they fail they are easily chaned

The Woodford does not have checked valves. The best option is a Thermostatic Mixing valve like the Taco. There are many manufacturers and options. Boiler water is not potable and you should not use it as that would cause new water and oxygen to be introduced into the system which is a bad thing. Are you talking about an indirect water heater that you are getting water from? If so they have a thermostat on them that you can control the temperature with.

The Woodford does not have checked valves. The best option is a Thermostatic Mixing valve like the Taco. There are many manufacturers and options. Boiler water is not potable and you should not use it as that would cause new water and oxygen to be introduced into the system which is a bad thing. Are you talking about an indirect water heater that you are getting water from? If so they have a thermostat on them that you can control the temperature with.
Oopsie. Yes indirect water heater. Hmmm perhaps I'll pull the Stat back to see if I can compromise the human and the turtle.

Back