Toilet keeps filling up and emptying

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I robbed the flapper off of the item Twowaxhack linked to above. I installed the flapper and now the water just runs and runs and doesn't stop. Before it just refilled the tank when the level went down enough. I now turn off the water between flushes as a Band-Aid until I fix it. Does anyone have any new suggestions on where that leak is coming from? Thank much all.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_181450036.jpg
    PXL_20231125_181450036.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231125_181503230.jpg
    PXL_20231125_181503230.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 0
Here is a video of the start of the flush till the water doesn't go up anymore. Does this help at all? Thanks again.

So I robbed the flapper off of the item Twowaxhack linked to above. I installed the flapper and now the water just runs and runs and doesn't stop. Before it just refilled the tank when the level went down enough. I now turn off the water between flushes as a Band-Aid until I fix it. Does anyone have any new suggestions on where that leak is coming from? Thank much all.
I don’t think you have the green piece seated properly in the piece below it

Personally, I'd spend another $13 and run to a big box hardware store and pick up a new Fluidmaster 400a fill valve. Your water flow is verrrrry slow to fill, their is calcium build up on the shaft, probable has sediment blocking full flow, and the drain tube black hose needs adjustment so there is no siphon as well. While repairing, go ahead and install the complete flush valve.

I don't think this is tight enough. See if you can turn it more. It sandwiches the seal. In the video when you flush the toilet the seal looks floppy.IMG_0986.jpeg

How did they manage to take something simple that worked for 100 years and make it into something with so many moving parts?

Ok, I removed the flapper and seal to inspect and checked the o ring then tightened the screw attaching them. I also turned up the water pressure so that it filled faster. I lowered the float so that the water stopped earlier. Now as you can see in the new video the water does finally stop, it leaks for a little (you hear water leaking/trickling out somewhere) then fills again. Does this information help determine where the leak is? I'm of course trying to avoid removing the tank as I feel that may be a little above my comfort level, but money is tight to hire a plumber to fix this. Clearly I'm in the gray area or being able to fix this myself and having to pay a plumber to fix it for me.

The blue rubber seal isn’t visible.

Install the blue rubber seal properly.

In addition to the parts, consider removing the tank from the bowl and thoroughly cleaning it. Remove all debris, slime, etc. New parts? Start with a “new” tank.

The blue rubber seal isn’t visible.

Install the blue rubber seal properly.
Thank you very much for your patient help everybody. I guess I didn't have the clamshell lined up properly with the new seal in between. The leaking seems to have stopped.

Thanks again!

Back