Toilet keeps filling up and emptying

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunters

Reaction score
Hi there all, hopefully you all can point me in the right direction. Over the past month, I've noticed my toilet filling up out of nowhere. I've heard it draining very very slowly and the process repeating. I'm including a picture of the inside of the tank and am hoping it's an easy fix for this novice. Thanks for any help you can provide.

PXL_20231108_172602544.jpg

Is your chain twisted to a point that your flapper is not seating all the way? I can't tell from the pic. Regardless, put your finger under the blue flapper and make sure the seal is good and there is no grime, which would allow water to leak into the flush valve. You also need to check the condition of the rubber flapper/stopper.

One thing I noted from your picture is the rubber tube running from the fill valve to the plastic overflow tube is extended down into the tube possibly to the water level creating the "siphon" effect. ( Which drops your water level & triggers the fill valve )
It should have a clip that keeps it out / above the overflow tube.
218-3.jpg

Last edited:
What Ricky said. My water bill exploded over the last few months, and once I rebuilt 3 toilets I'm back to $34 a month.

Checking for leaks annually (and watching your water bill) is part of home maintenance :)

Thank you everybody for your great tips and suggestions!!!

I drained the water and obviously everybody was right that the "flapper" and "seal" look like they need to be replaced. My question is, can I just replace that part or does it need to match the exact brand/model of what I've already got in there and therefor need to replace the entire assembly? I found a youtube video that shows how to just replace the seal and the part was like $5-6 and I wonder if I can pull that off. Not sure I have the knowledge to replace more than the seal.

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_200019092.jpg
    PXL_20231110_200019092.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231110_200029874.jpg
    PXL_20231110_200029874.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 0
I quit changing the seals on those American standard canister flushvalves.

There’s also a small oring there that can leak.

I had bad luck with that system. I had call backs on several for no obvious reason. It worked for a couple weeks, then it would cycle on/off again.

Now I replace the canister type flushvalve with a 3” flapper and flushvalve combo.

Some of the replacement gaskets dont come with that secondary oring.

This one does.
https://www.americanstandard-us.com...MInqnGj568ggMVAC7UAR2I3QatEAQYBSABEgL-APD_BwE
American standard has been making stupid flush systems for YEARS

I mean before I was born and I’m in my 50’s.

They want so desperately to be “ different “. And they are different but they suck. Everyone of their canister type flushvalves have been INFERIOR to a flapper.

If a toilet doesn’t have a flapper in the tank, DONT BUY IT

American standard has been making stupid flush systems for YEARS

I mean before I was born and I’m in my 50’s.

They want so desperately to be “ different “. And they are different but they suck. Everyone of their canister type flushvalves have been INFERIOR to a flapper.
Enter the "Vormax", original champion flush valve, etc...

Everybody here has been a huge help. Thank you very much for all of your insight!

Back