Toilet gurgles when showering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sushine1

Reaction score
Hey guys, out of the blue my toilet will not flush, my tub and bathroom sink will also drain super slow. When I use the shower my toilet will gurgle. I got a cheapo hand auger from walmart and that went 15 feet and got what felt like nothing. If I plunge the tub water will drain from the toilet into the tub and vice versa if I plunge the tub. When I plunge the toilet the water level will go up and down in the bathroom sink. Any suggestions or ideas on what to try. House was built in 1950s and drain lines are cast iron (besides shower, toilet and sink pipes) thank you!!

The main line or branch line serving that bathroom is clogged.

You need a professional drain cleaner.

How much does that usually cost? Oh thank you for replying!
Depends on the company and what they need to do to clean the line. At least 250 to 300. Upwards to 600+. If you call a bigger company it will cost more and they can get to you soon. If you call a smaller company will be less but may take longer to get to.

Depends on the company and what they need to do to clean the line. At least 250 to 300. Upwards to 600+. If you call a bigger company it will cost more and they can get to you soon. If you call a smaller company will be less but may take longer to get to.
Thats not horrible.. would I be able to use a something stronger then drano? Something specific for main drain clogs?

Thats not horrible.. would I be able to use a something stronger then drano? Something specific for main drain clogs?
Won't help. Drain cleaners can ruin your pipes and fixtures. I have seen customers turn stainless steel kitchen sinks black. Also when it does not clear you are risking the safety of the tech who needs to clear it. We do not touch drains with drain cleaner in it. We would ask you to neutralize the acid for 24 hours before touching it.

Not worth wasting the money or time putting it down.

Won't help. Drain cleaners can ruin your pipes and fixtures. I have seen customers turn stainless steel kitchen sinks black. Also when it does not clear you are risking the safety of the tech who needs to clear it. We do not touch drains with drain cleaner in it. We would ask you to neutralize the acid for 24 hours before touching it.

Not worth wasting the money or time putting it down.
Damn.... I was hoping it would atleast help some.

There is a clean out valve but it's extremely hard to open. I'm assuming it's been awhile since it was opened... Do you have any suggestion to get it open? I know the plumber will wanna use it and I'm hoping to save even a little bit so he doesn't charge me extra since it's stuck on.

There is a clean out valve but it's extremely hard to open. I'm assuming it's been awhile since it was opened... Do you have any suggestion to get it open? I know the plumber will wanna use it and I'm hoping to save even a little bit so he doesn't charge me extra since it's stuck on.
He won't charge you extra to remove it, it happens all the time. But he may break the plug, so there will be a charge for a new plug. Again, not an infrequent occurrence.

Is the cleanout in a plastic line or cast iron, and is the plug plastic or brass?

If you're paying, let the plumber do it. Worse case he will chisel if off and put a new one on. If anything he will charge for the plug on top of the drain cleaning charge. There should not be a service charge for removing the plug.

If you're paying, let the plumber do it. Worse case he will chisel if off and put a new one on. If anything he will charge for the plug on top of the drain cleaning charge. There should not be a service charge for removing the plug.
Okay thank you, I was hoping I could remove it so I could try and unclog it myself so I could save 300-400 bucks. But looks like I'm gonna have to call em.

He won't charge you extra to remove it, it happens all the time. But he may break the plug, so there will be a charge for a new plug. Again, not an infrequent occurrence.

Is the cleanout in a plastic line or cast iron, and is the plug plastic or brass?
The clean out is in a cast iron line and the plug is brass.

Okay thank you, I was hoping I could remove it so I could try and unclog it myself so I could save 300-400 bucks. But looks like I'm gonna have to call em.
Take a cold chisel put it against the threads and hammer it off. Once you hammer the chisel through you can pry it out with the chisel. I always pop them out and replace them.

Take a cold chisel put it against the threads and hammer it off. Once you hammer the chisel through you can pry it out with the chisel. I always pop them out and replace them.
Is there a difference between a cold chisel and a normal chisel?

Cold chisels are for Masonry work. Wood chisels are for soft material. Although I'm sure you could but you would most likely ruin it. Harbor freight sells cheaper tools for less then normal use. Go pick up a cold chisel from there.

Last edited:
Okay ill look for one of those.... I got home after a 12 hour shift and the water is drained out of the tub and toilet. So that's a positive lol

Okay ill look for one of those.... I got home after a 12 hour shift and the water is drained out of the tub and toilet. So that's a positive lol
Good chance it the water seeped by the clog. It will most likely back up again.

Oh definitely. I'm just glad it's not stagnant.

Is there a chance that it could be the vent tube?
Very unlikely. Never seen a vent issue besides the one house I worked in that somehow did not have one.

Latest posts

Back