Toilet Gurgle followed by inability to flush & overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmur7994

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping you can help me with my problem.

Tri-level home built in 1970; all three toilets (two upstairs, one downstairs) replaced 4 years ago with same model Western toilet that our guy said was an excellent toilet.

We've had several problems exclusively with our downstairs toilet, with 3 overflows.

In all cases, the downstairs toilet let out some type of gurgling sound. I thought that it was related to an upstairs shower issue; family members complained of slow drain (they have lots of hair) so I used hair/grease remover and that's when the first overflow happened. A plumber snaked the line to the street about 3 months ago.

Have had two problems since then, both of which witnesses have said that there was a gurgling sound, then when a flush is attempted, water fills the bowl VERY high (overflowed over the bowl once) and will not respond to plunger use. After about 15 min, bowl water level goes WAY down to just a couple of cups of water.

Tonight, my son said it gurgled (around the time upstairs shower was running - coincidence?), then wouldn't flush, water went high in the toilet bowl, but did not overflow. Plunging did nothing. I observed water leakage but not sure where it was coming from. After about 15 min, the bowl water levels receded again.

Help?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-ft-Toilet-Auger-with-Bulb-Head-59797/100015601

get the 6' one, not the cheapy...the cheapy will let you down

43f8730a-0bac-43e9-9ff6-f7b2386cfc94_1000.jpg

wth is that ? how does it work ?

pull the handle back all the way..place the head in the bottom of the toilet

push the handle in and turn at the same time...feeding the spring inti and around the bends

sometimes you pull back and try again..forcefully
after it has been inserted all the way. pull/push the cable forcefully to unstop blockage

the water should go down quickly.

have a trash bag handy...pull it out of toilet, place in trash bag...walk it outside and hose it off

Back