Toilet Build Expectations vs Apparent Realities

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of my new Kohler toilet, days after installing it. These pieces came out from the bowl, and I called Kohler to question their quality control. After weeks of fighting with them over the phone, they finally sent me a letter allowing me to order a new base from the orange big box store. It wasn't fun arguing with them and I did not appreciate their accusations that this was a 10 year old toilet and was due because of a lack of cleaning it. toilet #2.jpg

I personally like Gerber toilets. I have a gerber viper and gerber avalanche. No problems
When we were first looking at the new home we bought (2019 build) the RE agent looked at said “Gerber toilets. Oh…” with a bit of dismay. Well they are fine. Had 1992 Kohlers in my prior home, they were fine. In a 1990 renovation we bought an American Standard. It was fine. The only toilets we’ve owned that were “not fine” were Mansfield. Not much flush power, some hard to find parts. Never had costly toilets, just cheap ones.

I use to put Mansfield toilets in all the time until I put a Gerber in and I like them better. Mansfield Products is about
15 minutes from my house.

My Mansfields, in Michigan, had, shall we say, "non standard" parts that were hard to find. They didn't have normal flush flappers, and the gaskets between tank and bowl were not readily available...but they were from 1996. One of them had a full 1" of insulation in the tank, too. Perfect for people who live in hot humid climates with cold water and don't use a/c. Would prevent the tank from sweating. Personally thought it kind of goofy. My 2019 Gerbers seem fine.

My home in Michigan was in a rural area and there were no "plumbing supply stores" nearby, and neither Lowe's nor Menards nor Ace Hardware had the right parts for a Mansfield. I did eventually get all new insides somewhere, and now I don't own the home. In retrospect, one toilet gave so much trouble over the years I should have just bought a new one.

Mansfields toilets had this crazy red gasket for the flapper. I could not gets parts. ripped it out and replaced with crane Radcliff . The good thing about crane Radcliffe you get parts at any mom and pops hardware store.

My Mansfields, in Michigan, had, shall we say, "non standard" parts that were hard to find. They didn't have normal flush flappers, and the gaskets between tank and bowl were not readily available...but they were from 1996. One of them had a full 1" of insulation in the tank, too. Perfect for people who live in hot humid climates with cold water and don't use a/c. Would prevent the tank from sweating. Personally thought it kind of goofy. My 2019 Gerbers seem fine.

My home in Michigan was in a rural area and there were no "plumbing supply stores" nearby, and neither Lowe's nor Menards nor Ace Hardware had the right parts for a Mansfield. I did eventually get all new insides somewhere, and now I don't own the home. In retrospect, one toilet gave so much trouble over the years I should have just bought a new one.
When you live so close to the factory that makes them we have no trouble getting parts around here.

Mansfields toilets had this crazy red gasket for the flapper. I could not gets parts. ripped it out and replaced with crane Radcliff . The good thing about crane Radcliffe you get parts at any mom and pops hardware store.
You could’ve just replaced the flushvalve to a flapper type and change the tank lever. That way you could still get service calls to auger it when it clogs up 👊

Latest posts

Back