Thermostatic Valve dripping after use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerenityNow

Reaction score
All,

First post in this forum. I come out of total desperation. We recently installed an American Standard Thermostatic Shower/Bath valve just like this American Standard T064.740 Double Handle Thermostatic Valve Trim Only with Volume Control from the Serin Collection.

Unfortunately it didn't work properly from day one. The valve leads to the tub faucet which has a diverter to the shower head. After shutting off the valve it drips from the bathtub faucet and makes a lot of gargling noises for the next hour. Really irritating when trying to enjoy a relaxing bath.

American Standard keep insisting it is the valve cartridge, so have sent 2 replacements. It didn't help, and I can't even understand their logic as surely it would continue to drip indefinitely if it were the cartridge. They refuse to send someone out to inspect it either.

Meanwhile the contractor felt confident that he could fix the problem so closed everything in and tiled. Now we're left with a problem that's ours to fix, and the possibility of having to open up the wall again.

I am no expert but I think it must surely be just the water emptying from the plumbing between the valve and the bathtub faucet. It must be sealed in order to eventually stop dripping but maybe it is syphoning out? The contractor used PEX plumbing, and I saw it had a large loop after exiting the valve at the top rather than using an elbow for instance. Could that be a problem.

Sorry for the essay. I hope this is making sense..

I'd really appreciate any wisdom from the collective experience here.

If I had to guess I would say your assumptions are right on the money. Water in the pipes after the unit is shut off still need to drain, and a loop in the pex could indeed make a gurgling sound and would take longer to drain because it has more "full" pipe

I'm not sure why anyone would loop pex in the first place. Maybe someone else can enlighten me.

Back