The ol hot toilet...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stl_Plumb

Reaction score
I have a toilet in our finished basement that is running very hot steaming water. We bought the the house 5 years ago (10 years old) and only noticed it about 2 years ago. Since we didn't use the basement much I just shuts it off. Well now we are turning the basement into a play area for baby so I need to get to the bottom of this.

Toilet runs really hot water. I've shut off the hot water at the heater an no water come out of the toilet. There is nothing other that the shut off valve coming out of the wall behind the toilet. Am I safe to assume that it was simply connected to the hot water line when the bathroom was done or is there something else in missing?

Also.. Can anybody estimate the cost of having a professional come in and run the proper cold line off the sink to the behind the toilte? This would also involve cutting into the dry wall.

Thanks in advance!

The only person who can tell you what it's going to cost, is the person you hire to do the job. Labor rates and material cost vary from city to city, company to company

Reactions: SHR
I'll do it for $250,000 US.

That should cover my travel expenses. :cool:

You probably won't have to run a new line.
Just figure out where that one comes from.
closest sink would be a good guess.
Open the wall and have a plumber switch the line to a cold one.

make sure it doesn't feed something else like a tub/shower.

Check the sinks supplies to see if they crossed them as well.
If they did they may have crossed them further up stream

Back