Tapping Sound In Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macro

Reaction score
Hello. I live in New England. Closed system on town water. I hear a tapping sound in my pipes, typically only when I wake in the morning or at other times when nothing has been running for many hours. The sound instantly disappears when I turn on a faucet. As far as I can tell the noise originates where the water enters/exits the house. The local plumber hasn’t been much help, although in fairness I haven’t been able to time it such that he is here when the sound is happening. At first he thought it was the meter, but replacing did not fix. I suspect pressure is somehow slowly building over a period of time when no water is on. Typical pressure is 60psi. I tried reading when I heard the sound, and it was closer to 90. Other facts: I’ve been in the house for 8 years, and have not replaced the PRV (I’m not sure how old it may be). It is located close to where the tapping is most prominent. Also, the sound did start around the same time I had some minor boiler repair completed, including swapping out the expansion tank. I’ve had the HVAC team out and they can’t detect any issues with the work.

I’m not proficient enough to fix this myself but the problem is vague enough where I am struggling to direct a professional. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It sounds like your pressure regulator is the culprit, Replaced several of them and some of them were full of debris and junk. Unfortunately a lot of city water is not as clean as many people think.

Like Havasu mentioned replace the prv. The only question I have is you mentioned replacing the expansion tank. I'm assuming that was for your boiler? If do you have one on your water heater or somewhere on the cold water suppy before the water heater? If not you need to install one. Best place is next to the wh. If you do have one have you checked it?

Back