Switching from copper to PEX and Manabloc

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarfish

Reaction score
Thinking out loud here...

Our home was built in 2000, and there have been a lot of plumbing woes along the way. 4 years ago I found there was around 45v of current running through my pipes because of a faulty piece of Romex that had some current leaking to ground. We were already blowing through water heaters every 4-5 years, and had started getting pinhole leaks. I corrected the current issue immediately, but I guess the damage was done. This past week I got the 5th leak in the last 4 years, and I am giving up on the copper. The last thing I need is to start getting leaks in walls that I can't easily get to.

I've been researching, reading and planning, and I hope to start late summer once some other projects are done. So far, I'm planning to go with a 24-port Manabloc. A plumber friend installs these in new homes, and recommended it. I'd like to go with crimp rings instead of SS clamps.

As for the actual install, I am planning to put in some copper tees to the existing cold and hot supply lines, and run 3/4" PEX to the Manabloc. So the Manabloc will be "live" alongside my existing copper. Once that's done, I can start running the PEX. I can do 10 lines of tubing to fixtures on the ground and first floor pretty easily. As I do those I will cut & cap the copper. The harder part of the project will be the remaining 10 lines which need to go to the second floor.

When everything is finally running off the Manabloc, I'll remove the unused copper. I'll also revisit the water supply lines, remove the tees, and make cleaner connections to the system.

I've done a lot of reading up on the Manabloc, including problems people have had with them. I'd appreciate thoughts and feedback. I have time yet to change course if it comes to that.

Surprised a newer home like that isn't pex. Run it all pex, with brass connections. Think that's what you mean instead of copper. Brass crimp rings are the way to go. You got the idea, just need to make sure it's done in a way you never have to revisit.

i had a pipe burst in my house a few years ago....I had never used pex I always used copper and soldered joints....it would have cost a fortune to do it that way so I used pex...
with the copper crimp rings....it was pretty quick and easy I bought my crimp tools from mil3 they have been around for 30 years they repair their tools if you need it...about 85 bucks each for 1/2 and 3/4 crimpers they are also shorter so they can fit in tight spaces...anyway m y experience was very positive I also made a copper manifold that split up 1st and 2nd floors there are quite a few ways to connect pex I liked this method

Thanks for the replies fellas. Our builder and their contractors - all out of business now - were stuck in the past. They used ABS instead of PVC on the sewer lines. Many of the things they did were old school, as I've learned over the years.

I am slowly getting more comfortable and formulating my project plan of attack. Thanks for the tips. I know PEX isn't perfect, but I also know 3 people who had burst copper pipes that almost destroyed their homes and cost $20-30K to repair. Time for the copper to go. They don't even use it for pennies anymore, LOL.

Back