Sump Pump needs help to shut off.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diopter

Reaction score
Will be replacing it when finances improve.
Just need to keep it going as long as possible and when it not as cold.
Oiling the float lever and working it up and helps it to work for a few days, then its back to not shutting off on its own.
Which grease would be the best bet for a longer term solution?
Plumber's grease, Vaseline petroleum jelly, Marine grease or other?

20181230-094727.jpg

IMG-20181230-094831.jpg

If it's shutting off, I assume that means the float is dropping and not rising again to start the pump.
If anything I think you would want to make the float more buoyant, to help switch it back on. Maybe the float has water in it.
If it can be removed, check it out.
Drain and patch it if that was the problem.

Edit: I must have been on drugs. I had it backwards.
Glad Geofd was right on top of it!:)

Last edited:
It's been so cold since I first posted that no water was able to get to the sump pump anyway until yesterday. Got to love winter when you live in Canada, :)
Back to the same old problem. Tied a 1/2" I.D. flat washer with about an inch O.D. half way on the horizontal float arm and it woks fine. Today we're back to the deep freeze

It's been so cold since I first posted that no water was able to get to the sump pump anyway until yesterday. Got to love winter when you live in Canada, :)
Back to the same old problem. Tied a 1/2" I.D. flat washer with about an inch O.D. half way on the horizontal float arm and it woks fine. Today we're back to the deep freeze
glad its working

Latest posts

Back