Sump pump issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailgunner

Reaction score
I have water gushing out of the sump pump discharge overflow pipe . That is the pvc that is curved downward in the photo. The pvc runs about 30 feet and discharges into a grated storm water drain. I have stuck a hose into that elbow and ran water, and I can see it exiting the sump pump pvc into the storm drain. If there is water flowing thru, why is it coming out of that elbow when the pump kicks on ?SUMP P.jpg

From what i can see, it just looks like the pipe goes into the reducer and terminates a short distance in. Home is 12 years old, no previous issues with this . I suspect that there may be tree roots in the pipe causing a partial blockage. Could this cause a kind back pressure ?

I suspect that there may be tree roots in the pipe causing a partial blockage. Could this cause a kind back pressure ?
Yes. For water to come out of that 90, there has to be at least a partial blockage in that line. And depending on the flowrate into that partially blocked line, water can come out of that overflow. once the line fills up and the flow through the restriction can't keep up with the water being pumped into the line.

Thanks for the replies, time to get a camera down to see what's going on.

Thanks for that option Twowax ! Is the drain bladder flexible enough to insert it at that elbow?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back