Sump pump continuously cycling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillydk147

Reaction score
Hello, I've noticed my sump pump cycles on and off, it'll pump water them stop, the water returns which triggers the pump again. I've very limited knowledge of Septic Tanks but on research I've discovered that the Check Valve may be an issue. To give some background, I recently purchased this property but have no idea what if any maintenance has been done on the tank, also I don't even know if a check valve exists, I've attached a photo, can anyone tell me if a check valve is visible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220902_185047.jpg
    20220902_185047.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
When you say the water returns, do you mean it pumps then drains back from what was just pumped or do you mean the tank keeps filling?????? If you don't have a snake or don't know how to use one you could also use a drain balloon,or just the hose to verify flow

Last edited:
Hi Geofd, it drains back what it just pumped, see attached video

Attachments

• 20220831_183017_1920x1080.mp4
    27.7 MB
Thank Geofd, just to clarify, I've circled in red what I believe you're referring to as the check valve, see attached. The house is about 15 years old and I don't believe this was ever changed, is it normal to see this level of corrosion on a check valve?

Attachments

• 20220902_185047.jpg
    20220902_185047.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 0
And I’d probably put in some kind of air venting at the top of that loop. With the check valve bad that assembly could siphon back everything it just discharged.

Back