Stumped by Faucet Connector

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinosaur

Reaction score
I bought an interesting faucet online for our bathroom remodel. Have been struggling to install it for a week now, so need advice from people who know what they're doing :)

In my very limited experience, a faucet is connected using a 1/2" connector at the faucet end and a 3/8" at the supply. In past projects, have just picked up a supply line with the standard connectors from the hardware store and all has worked fine.

The new faucet is different. It comes with a connector that has a dedicated connection at the faucet side, and at the supply side has a female connector that is too big for the 3/8" supply, but is smaller than a 1/2" connector.

By going to a hardware store and experimenting, I've found that the faucet's supply connector fits 3/8" pipe thread. This (of course) confuses me since the supply is also termed 3/8", but is clearly a different size.

I've tried using pieces of threaded piping to do the conversion to connect to a standard 1/2" to 3/8" connector, but there's inevitably leaking.

So...any advice on how to handle this ? Can anyone explain the difference between the 3/8 pipe thread and the 3/8 supply ? Are there vendors of connectors for these measurements ? Or do I need to use my threaded pipe approach and try and use something beyond teflon tape to get an impermeable seal ?

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Something tells me there is something missing in your installation kit. Is it possible to download a picture of the faucet and connections for us to view?

The standard 3/8" connection to the supply valve is termed "compression" and the larger 3/8" is termed "ips (iron pipe size)", that's the difference. The female 3/8" ips in the supplies that you have may have been designed for small check valves to be installed between the faucet and the supply valves. If they didn't come with the faucet, then just do as phish stated above.

Latest posts

Back