Strapping a water heater to a chimney?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobN

Reaction score
Our water heater is installed in the basement about 4" from the brick chimney and needs to be replaced.

How do I go about installing earthquake straps? I have searched and searched and have found instructions/descriptions of strapping heaters to walls, in corners, to concrete walls but not to a brick chimney.

By the way:

I got a laugh out of a posting I stumbled upon at another web site. This guy said he was in St. Louis, Missouri and didn't understand why code required the earthquake bracing. He said, "It's not like there is a lot of earthquakes in Missouri.

The second or third reply to the posting was - Google 'new Madrid fault'

If you haven't heard of it, this a reference New Madrid Seismic Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki has a page about stopping web censorship showing up when you go there.

If you hit escape as soon as you see the page you are after, it will prevent the redirect to the page about the censorship bill now in congress.

Go to https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/ and learn about what Congress is considering. If you disagree with it - contact your representatives.

You could always purchase a W/H "earthquake" strap, drill some holes in the brick, and screw it in with lag bolts designed for masonry.

Yours safest bet is to buy a earthquake kit that mounts to the floor and then straps go around the brackets and you lag bolt them into the concrete or wood floor I mean you can mount it to the chimney but if your looking for safety during earthquake not going to do much.

Back