Steps to check and replace well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regard to the discussion between Valveman and Twowaxhack about the plusses and minuses of well water vs municipal water, I wanted to mention something else. I've been in the construction trade for 40+ years, up and down both coasts and in the Rocky Mountain region, rural and urban. I wanted to mention a 3rd scenario that I had never encountered until I built my house in Raleigh, NC.

I live in Wake County, which is quite large and I have a "Raleigh" address, but I am outside of the Raleigh city limits and do not receive Raleigh city services. Those city services that I do not receive include water and sewer (and trash collection). But, my property taxes are also literally half that of a property within the city limits. ($6000 vs. $12,000 for the assessed value), so I am saving $6000 per year on property taxes. With that savings, I'm responsible for finding my own water, sewer service, and trash collection. When I do construction on my property, I am subject to Wake County permitting and inspections and not Raleigh city permitting and inspections.....2 distinct and different building departments. I live in the northern part of this area and I am in the watershed of Raleigh's primary water source, Falls Lake. If you are in the Falls Lake watershed, you are subject to minimum 1-acre zoning so that density does not adversely impact the environment of Falls Lake, the city's drinking water reservoir. But "North Raleigh" is a popular residential area, and there are many subdivisions in this area, all with 1-acre or greater zoning.

Here's where it gets interesting. Because there was no municipal water source for this part of the greater metropolitan area, private water companies sprung up to supply these neighborhoods. There were several small private water companies in this area. They had their own water towers, had their own multiple wells, and had their own giant septic systems to serve entire neighborhoods. In the last 20 years or so these small private companies have been bought up by a large, national, private-water-supply company, called Aqua America. They serve areas in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey, and Texas (so Valveman might be familiar with them). In my area, they are now a monopoly. They are the only source of water and sewer service for multiple neighborhoods in my area. Every house in my neighborhood is served by this company, and it is mandated by the covenants of the neighborhood. Some of my property is not part of the neighborhood so I do not have to connect to Aqua. Their rates continue to climb every year. For basic water and sewer, with no use for watering a garden, my neighbors are paying $150 - $160 per month. And the service and the water quality are terrible. Everyone needs a backwash filter and softening system. The NC Utilities Commission that supposedly regulates this company does nothing. This year, the rate increase is 20+%. My neighbors have no alternative. I'm on well and septic and I'm very hands-on, but this is the first time I've lived with well and septic. Despite them being brand new when I built my house, I have had my share of problems with both systems, but I've learned to do my own repairs. I have a pump system on my septic and have had to replace the pump and have problems regularly with the float switches, but I now know how to deal with those problems without needing a $250 service call every time something malfunctions. I'm on my second submersible well pump, but when my second pump was installed, I also installed a Cycle Stop Valve, and knock on wood, I have not had any well-related problems for several years now. But still, without fail, I end up spending $750-$1000 each year on my water and septic system between repairs, regular maintenance, filtration elements and softening supplies. It's been 7 years now that I've been in the house, so history has now shown that those costs are not going to disappear, no matter how well I try to keep things maintained. They happen every year, one way or another.

So if you average out those annual costs on a monthly basis, they are comparable to what my water and sewer costs would be if I lived inside the Raleigh city limits. They are significantly less than what they would be if I were attached to Aqua America. But I do worry about what my wife will do if I croak before she does. My septic service contractor is great, but I need to find a good well contractor she can rely on if she has problems.
Honestly I could give a crap less what the rest of the country does for their water.

I’m only concerned with the 500,000 people in my service area.

No one wants a well here unless they need irrigation water.

Honestly I could give a crap less what the rest of the country does for their water.

I’m only concerned with the 500,000 people in my service area.

No one wants a well here unless they need irrigation water.
Yeah, I agree with you, particularly after now having lived with both types of systems. If I had to choose between a private system like Aqua America or a well, it might be a wash, but municipal vs. well.....no brainer; I'd go with city water.

Like was said, private water companies and municipalities have the same kind of pumps used for individual houses. These pumps and controls are just larger than those used for a single home. You are just paying someone else to maintain the pump system for you. This makes you subject to restrictions, regulations, and ever increasing costs. Learning how to maintain your own water system lets you stay in control. Adding a CSV can give so many years of trouble free service that many people forget they have a water system. People that have a CSV and therefore don't have problems with their water well would never switch to a public water system.

Also, many people on public water systems still use a booster pump and a CSV because the city water pressure in inadequate.

Like was said, private water companies and municipalities have the same kind of pumps used for individual houses. These pumps and controls are just larger than those used for a single home. You are just paying someone else to maintain the pump system for you. This makes you subject to restrictions, regulations, and ever increasing costs. Learning how to maintain your own water system lets you stay in control. Adding a CSV can give so many years of trouble free service that many people forget they have a water system. People that have a CSV and therefore don't have problems with their water well would never switch to a public water system.

Also, many people on public water systems still use a booster pump and a CSV because the city water pressure in inadequate.
I understand you have a financial interest in water wells……

I don’t. Our city water is excellent.

Wells are a pain in the ass. Simple as that.

Real short and simple, no need for me to write a book about why.

I am glad you have good city water. The city must have some Cycle Stop Valves. Lol! But we sell a ton of controls for booster pumps because the city water pressure is inadequate or non existent. Booster pumps and well pumps were both pains in the ass until the Cycle Stop Valve was introduced. Now they can be so trouble free for so long many people forget they have a pump.

Sure I make a little grocery money when someone buys a $200 valve from me, been making a living that way for 30+ years. I have to make a little on each sale because it is the last time I will ever get to sell that customer anything, as he/she will never have another pump problem. But I am by no means wealthy, like the people who sell VFD's, tankless controls, and pumps over and over to the same people. Planned obsolescence and repeat sales is what other companies strive for. Our CSV was labeled a "Disruptive" product by several pump manufacturers many years ago. A "disruptive" product is one that makes pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks. Most of the major pump manufactures sell Cycle Stop Valves when nothing else has worked. But they will not admit is because they want you to try everything else first. People who have tried everything else first will tell you it would be hard to improve on a Cycle Stop Valve.

Why is this leaking water out this hole when the pump runs ?

I rebuilt this pressure regulator today, replaced the pressure gauge and replaced the pressure tank.

Pentair Sta-rite MSG-7 2hp.

The chickens can drink now. Well man said it would be at least a week before he could look at it. 3 others didn’t answer the phone.

A4E23030-4737-40CF-B16A-39AD33F0891C.png6FE6FE14-69DF-499B-B515-9749FDDB0322.png
C3142D55-C67D-49E0-A373-7D141ED83BB8.jpeg

Do It yourself is always best, then you know the quality of the workmanship, and you know who to blame. 8*)

Good discussion, not taking sides here, but I like knowing my water isn't being chlorinated , or whatever other chemicals they put in. I also like not being told I need to boil my water for the next week ir two until the lines clear from a problem they had. On the flip side, how in the world do you know what's comming out of your well, that can change day to day. We carbon filter, and run our water through a kdf filter. Plus being paranoid, we also use a distiller to create our drinking cooking water. (Maybe 1 or 2 gallons a say) getting good clean water has become a problem no matter where you get it. I just like to control mine as best I can. (But, boy do I dislike the taste of chlorinated water)

Good discussion, not taking sides here, but I like knowing my water isn't being chlorinated , or whatever other chemicals they put in. I also like not being told I need to boil my water for the next week ir two until the lines clear from a problem they had. On the flip side, how in the world do you know what's comming out of your well, that can change day to day. We carbon filter, and run our water through a kdf filter. Plus being paranoid, we also use a distiller to create our drinking cooking water. (Maybe 1 or 2 gallons a say) getting good clean water has become a problem no matter where you get it. I just like to control mine as best I can. (But, boy do I dislike the taste of chlorinated water)

Do you like the taste of iron ?

D61687B4-FB9E-47C3-AC1B-F0200B6C0822.png

We put it all back together and the flow rate really didn’t change much.

We think the screen is clogged with iron. The flow rate of this well isn’t enough anyway even if it was operating at full capacity so we’re not wasting any more resources on it.

It’s 84’ of pipe down the well currently.

There goes $1,000 out the window 🤣

We are having a new 4” well drilled and a submersible installed. It’ll be a few hundred feet deep.

That's a shame, I hate spending money and then it not working. I don't love the taste of iron either, (allthough I am iron deficient) my well doesn't have any iron, but if it did my filter is suppose to take care of it. Speaking of my filter, I'm about due to change out the media. ( once every 7 years) going to wait until it's cooler outside to do that work. Good luck with the new well. Are you going to have a water Witcher find you a spot ? I found my spot with 2 bent welding rods. Amazing how they cross when you go over water.

Absolutly, I witched my own well, and I didn't have a clue about how to do it or how it worked. I wasctold it would work with welding rods, bend them into 90 degrees, hold one in each hand very loosely about 6 inches apart. And just walk around until they cross. So, I tried it. It was amazing how they would cross, sometimes very slow, sometimes they would move very quickly. I picked my spot and hit 35 gpm at 40 feet. So I have a 65 foot well, pump is at 40, static water level is at 15.
Everyone else around me is at 2-300 feet. So I believe in it. You can find buried water pipes too.
I found where water lines were buried at several different houses. Don't ask me how that works though, but I did find them.

I'm a register Professional Engineer and need to understand hard facts as to how things work. However, dowsing is something that I cannot understand, but I do believe works. Not everyone has the ability to do it with the accuracy that "professional dowsers" can provide. My dad told me that when my grandfather bought his farm in the late 1920's, he had a dowser witch a well. The dowser said he would hit water at 60 feet, but the recovery rate would be rather low and that it could be drawn dry. To get a constant supply of water, he would have to go down over 575 feet. They did hit water at around 60 feet and my dad could draw it dry in about 20 minutes. They drilled down 596 feet, and the water was cold, clear, and never ran out.

Here is an interesting article that provides some proof for dowsing and what happened when my grandfather drilled his well. Oh, this dowser used a fresh peach tree fork.

"There is one study, conducted by the German government in the 1990s, that perplexed the scientific community. During this study’s 10-year research period, researchers paired up experienced geologists and dowsers, sending them to dry regions like Sri Lanka, Kenya, and Yemen. Scientists were surprised to find that many of the dowsers were spot-on. In Sri Lanka alone, drill teams drilled 691 wells under the supervision of dowsers and found water 96% of the time.

Now, skeptics would argue that the reason for this is simple: No matter where you drill, as long as you’re willing to drill deep enough, you’re bound to find water eventually. However, in this particular study, the dowsers were also asked to tell their drill teams at what depth they’d find the water and how much water they would find. The study’s findings showed that the dowsers’ predictions concerning depth and volume were accurate to within 10% to 20%.

No one knows why dowsing works—or if, indeed, it does work. Some researchers believe that humans can detect the presence of water by some trace amount of energy that it releases. Others believe that the talent is all in the dowsing rod. Still more say that this art is nothing more than a clever hoax."

There are believers and then there are those that don't. I just know it worked for me.
And holy cow, ..... bugs / fish in the well.

Just as a layman, with no experience, I believe I can go onto a property and just using my eyes, I could look for undulations and rises/drops on the property, look for outcroppings, darker green plants, and have a pretty good idea where water would/could be found. Isn't it correct that dousers also utilize their eyes to help do this same thing?

Maybe I'm just a skeptic, and don't believe anything I read and only half that I see.

Just as a layman, with no experience, I believe I can go onto a property and just using my eyes, I could look for undulations and rises/drops on the property, look for outcroppings, darker green plants, and have a pretty good idea where water would/could be found. Isn't it correct that dousers also utilize their eyes to help do this same thing?

Maybe I'm just a skeptic, and don't believe anything I read and only half that I see.
Perhaps, but the well my grandfather had drilled was on perfectly flat land with no dips or trees until he planted them. He milked cows and pasteurized the milk in the basement of his house and used the well water to cool it down. He had a manual milk bottle cleaning station and a crank DeLaval cream separator that was still operating when I was around in the early 50s. His operation DEFINETLY wouldn't pass any inspections today, but it made it possible for him to get through the depression and he prospered well through WWII. He turned away from the "commercial" milk industry and started raising registered Black Angus bulls in the 50s. And that well then watered a few thousand cattle, a four-acre garden, a small 10 tree orchard, and was working great until my hometown grew and he turned his farm inti a new subdivision. A McDonalds currently sit right on top of that 596 foot well.

Back