Steps to check and replace well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s hard to convince a guy who has had city water for 50 years and every time he’s turned the faucet on there has been water……

Then he moved to a house with well pumps and he has two pumps fail. Spent $2k repairing one of them and had to wait a week for that repair.

Now on the second pump failure it’s been a few weeks and nobody that can repair it will show up.

He had family for thanksgiving and he was getting his water piped 350 ft through a garden hose for his guests to shower one at a time in a 5 bathroom home. That was pretty embarrassing.

Now at least he’ll have some water when he wants it and not be relying on a profession that’s on its way out in my area for residential homes.

He’s not going to prep for the end of the world just to have water at his house, there’s no need to. ✌️

He has two other wells…..but wells are unreliable and so are the well repair companies in our area.

City water is the ultimate backup. Problem solved.

City people who are used to everything being done for them are in for a big shock when they move to the country. Most do not have the option of connecting to city water. They now have to educate themselves on water systems, septic, waste, road repair, brush removal, animal control, and even backup electricity. All "professions" are on their way out, as nobody wants to work anymore. I am not prepping for the end of the world, only to make it through everyday life, because I can't get any help.

If city water had not been an option, the homeowners would be educating themselves on how to make a long lasting and reliable pump system, which isn't that hard. Purchasing a house with an inadequate water system that was already worn out is not a good way to start country life. Wonder who they will call when the weeds need mowing and the road has pot holes?

After all the things that have happened in the last few years it is even more important to be able to take care of yourself. People who live in a city want everything done for them. People who live in the country want to do for themselves. There is a lot of satisfaction in being able to do things myself. If I don't know how something works, I research and figure it out. I maintain all the systems in my house from the roof to the foundation for everyday life. And if the end of the world happens. a country boy will survive. This week I am a tractor mechanic as I can't find anyone who knows how to work on an old tractor, and the weeds need shredding. Lol!

I don’t sell water and I don’t sell pump equipment.

The home and the pumps are less than 20 years old.

It worked until it didn’t……no warning.

Cutting grass and having water are on two completely different spectrums.

Do you have solar panels ? Did you make them yourself if you do ?

Do you pump your own generator fuel ? Make your own diesel fuel ?

Grow all your own food ?

Perform surgery on yourself ?

See how silly it can get ? Everyone here relies on someone…….

But you damn sure can’t rely on a well or a well person to repair them in our area.

Count the moving parts and equipment necessary to have a well compared to a simple water meter…….. it’s really simple. 🤣

I do grow much of my food, and am capable of supplying all my food when needed, water too. I have a staple gun and sutures, so minor surgeries on me or my animals is also something I do. I am prepared to use wood smoke as fuel if gas is no longer available, so no solar panels or batteries to maintain. I do not rely on the government to do ANYTHING for me, except protect the country and border, and they are not even any good at that. Relying on other people to do everything for you is not the American way. The people in China expect the government to do everything for them. See how well that is working out?

Results from today.E3CD4293-778A-49CC-9776-0496986AC2E8.jpegF862D6C4-F7C9-431F-8F85-79C591446429.jpeg737DC766-910F-4A06-812D-845B9279ABF4.jpeg

A well man’s worst nightmare. Runs over 40gpm at 90psi.

It seems like we are arguing about something, but I don't know about what. I am afraid we maybe arguing more about politics than source of water supply. You do realize that city water doesn't just magically come out the faucet with pressure and flow? Somewhere there is a pump drawing a 3.2HP load to be able to deliver that 40 GPM at 90 PSI? The city has pumps to deliver the water, the same as people with a well have a pump to deliver the water. The city has even more problems with their pumps than a homeowner does with a well pump. The long distribution lines, different elevations and pressure planes, peak and off peak demands, multiple and much larger pumps to maintain, and other things makes municipal water systems even more problematic that a home water system. However, the city has the personnel and an unlimited budget to keep things running. Regular maintenance, redundant pumps, and backup power supplies are needed, and even then there are water outages and Boil Water Notices (BWN's) all too often.

I work on municipal pump systems as well. They just use larger pumps and need larger Cycle Stop Valves, but are controlled the same way a house pump is controlled. And don't think you are not having to pay for all those pumps and repairs. The 40 bucks a month water bill is added to the taxes you pay to maintain the city infrastructure, which in a large part is the city water system. I would bet the money you pay that is used by the water department is more than if you had a pump system of your own.

You are also on a pump and well forum trying to convince people to just hook up to city water, when most do not have that option. Just like most people in a city are too close together to even have the space to drill a well if they wanted. It is only those who live on the edge of a city that have the option of either or/both.

I would say if you are already paying those high city taxes you should take advantage of the water system you are already paying for. But if you do not pay city taxes, a well pump is a good investment.

Del Rio 2002 ad shot.jpg

I’m waiting on the thread that says ….

“ I have city water and I paid the bill…..but the meter will not flow any water “

Or

“ my well pump will not pump water “.

Wanna bet which one will hit this forum 1,000 plus times and which one that’ll never be posted ……..?

🤣. Later gator.

Quite a few towns and cities in the west, are getting close to running out of water.

Hopefully there will be a decent snow year, and they can make it another summer….

Oh there are plenty of instances where city water fails to come out of the meter. When that happens there are thousands of people affected all at the same time.

water tower frozen.jpg
Stand pipe collapse 2.jpg

Yes, it’s possible for city water to fail but not as likely as grandmas well not working……

You talk about all the repairs and equipment that city water uses and that can fail……but in the same thread talk about how reliable well pumps are.

Which is it ?

Of course they all fail. The difference is who repairs it and how long it takes to get it repaired.

I don’t sell water and I don’t sell well pumps.

In fact well water ruins so much plumbing it would be financially advantageous for me for people to have well water……I’d get more plumbing repairs

Why did I start this thread ? Why did I bring it back up ? Because of the WELLS FAILING to deliver water……

Last edited:
Approximately 42 million Americans get their water from a private well.

Approximately 282 million Americans get their water from a city water system. 5-6 times as many people.

Now, search this forum for well problems vs water meter problems.

✌️ It’s real simple unless you sell or service well equipment, then it gets really hard to understand.

Grandma's well pump and the city supply pumps are made at the same factory. They are just as dependable and long lasting, but all pumps are subject to the same failures. The difference is whether you want to take care of yourself and control your own destiny, or let big government have control of all aspects of your life. :rolleyes:

Grandma's well pump and the city supply pumps are made at the same factory. They are just as dependable and long lasting, but all pumps are subject to the same failures. The difference is whether you want to take care of yourself and control your own destiny, or let big government have control of all aspects of your life. :rolleyes:

Of course all pumps are subject to failures, that’s why it preferable to have it supplied by a city that has the man power and ability to repair it in a reasonable time and most of the time without the service interruption.

Everyone’s not going to become a “ well man “ and buy all the equipment.

So you’re at the mercy of “ bubba “ the well man that you’re always complaining doesn’t understand your cycle stop valve……and the pump companies you claim to want pumps and equipment to fail……

Your words, not mine.

Approximately 42 million Americans get their water from a private well.

Approximately 282 million Americans get their water from a city water system. 5-6 times as many people.

Now, search this forum for well problems vs water meter problems.

✌️ It’s real simple unless you sell or service well equipment, then it gets really hard to understand.
Plumbers are rarely used or needed when a well supplies the water. The more people on city water, the more money plumbers make. That is what I understand about this thread. There is only one small part of this forum for pumps and wells. The rest of this forum and all other plumbing forums have pages and pages of problems with city water.

282 million people who want big government to take care of everything in their lives, including water, calling 42 million Americans who want to stay independent and free "Bubba", is our biggest problem.

Oh and most of the pump systems I help people with are not well pumps. I help people with more booster pumps than well pumps because the city water pressure is inadequate in many places.jet pump and PK1A pex.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a few towns and cities in the west, are getting close to running out of water.

Hopefully there will be a decent snow year, and they can make it another summer….
I agree! My views are rarely popular as many people do not want to be corrected or told the truth. But if we don't start at least using the word "overpopulation" there will never be enough snow pack to save us.

I just ordered 500’ of pipe and made a fitting list.

Tap and meter fee for 1” was $1,000.00

We’re using 1.5” pvc sch 40. 12-18” deep. We do not have a frostline here to mention.

I just ordered it, $950.00 delivered.

Valves, valve boxes, fittings, solvent, etc will be $500 or so more.

So we’re up to around $2500 so far.

I’ll add my labor after the job is done.

I don’t think I’m doing the trenching. The customer Just bought a trencher for his business but he’s no plumber !

Here’s is my custys property.

Propane marked in yellow
Generator marked in red
Well house marked in blue

But the pump doesn’t work. We still want it repaired. Outside irrigation and for livestock ( chickens).

It’s the same type and model/brand well pump that’s pictured on this thread. Once we get it working I plan to investigate a cycle stop valve system to install as Valveman suggests. I do agree that cycling wears stuff out.

A3C3ADD5-DA53-47A8-9D06-93905B0839CE.jpeg
There are also two other wells on the property and a 3acre lake. City water is going to make this man even more prepped. If natural gas and city sewer become available I would advise him to hook up to that also. The more the better.

Why is this leaking water out this hole when the pump runs ?

Attachments

• 98B40663-FBF0-46F2-AA3E-645483B67E60.png
    98B40663-FBF0-46F2-AA3E-645483B67E60.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 93B2D04A-CDDE-4B03-9AD0-90F392308FA7.jpeg
    93B2D04A-CDDE-4B03-9AD0-90F392308FA7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
In regard to the discussion between Valveman and Twowaxhack about the plusses and minuses of well water vs municipal water, I wanted to mention something else. I've been in the construction trade for 40+ years, up and down both coasts and in the Rocky Mountain region, rural and urban. I wanted to mention a 3rd scenario that I had never encountered until I built my house in Raleigh, NC.

I live in Wake County, which is quite large and I have a "Raleigh" address, but I am outside of the Raleigh city limits and do not receive Raleigh city services. Those city services that I do not receive include water and sewer (and trash collection). But, my property taxes are also literally half that of a property within the city limits. ($6000 vs. $12,000 for the assessed value), so I am saving $6000 per year on property taxes. With that savings, I'm responsible for finding my own water, sewer service, and trash collection. When I do construction on my property, I am subject to Wake County permitting and inspections and not Raleigh city permitting and inspections.....2 distinct and different building departments. I live in the northern part of this area and I am in the watershed of Raleigh's primary water source, Falls Lake. If you are in the Falls Lake watershed, you are subject to minimum 1-acre zoning so that density does not adversely impact the environment of Falls Lake, the city's drinking water reservoir. But "North Raleigh" is a popular residential area, and there are many subdivisions in this area, all with 1-acre or greater zoning.

Here's where it gets interesting. Because there was no municipal water source for this part of the greater metropolitan area, private water companies sprung up to supply these neighborhoods. There were several small private water companies in this area. They had their own water towers, had their own multiple wells, and had their own giant septic systems to serve entire neighborhoods. In the last 20 years or so these small private companies have been bought up by a large, national, private-water-supply company, called Aqua America. They serve areas in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey, and Texas (so Valveman might be familiar with them). In my area, they are now a monopoly. They are the only source of water and sewer service for multiple neighborhoods in my area. Every house in my neighborhood is served by this company, and it is mandated by the covenants of the neighborhood. Some of my property is not part of the neighborhood so I do not have to connect to Aqua. Their rates continue to climb every year. For basic water and sewer, with no use for watering a garden, my neighbors are paying $150 - $160 per month. And the service and the water quality are terrible. Everyone needs a backwash filter and softening system. The NC Utilities Commission that supposedly regulates this company does nothing. This year, the rate increase is 20+%. My neighbors have no alternative. I'm on well and septic and I'm very hands-on, but this is the first time I've lived with well and septic. Despite them being brand new when I built my house, I have had my share of problems with both systems, but I've learned to do my own repairs. I have a pump system on my septic and have had to replace the pump and have problems regularly with the float switches, but I now know how to deal with those problems without needing a $250 service call every time something malfunctions. I'm on my second submersible well pump, but when my second pump was installed, I also installed a Cycle Stop Valve, and knock on wood, I have not had any well-related problems for several years now. But still, without fail, I end up spending $750-$1000 each year on my water and septic system between repairs, regular maintenance, filtration elements and softening supplies. It's been 7 years now that I've been in the house, so history has now shown that those costs are not going to disappear, no matter how well I try to keep things maintained. They happen every year, one way or another.

So if you average out those annual costs on a monthly basis, they are comparable to what my water and sewer costs would be if I lived inside the Raleigh city limits. They are significantly less than what they would be if I were attached to Aqua America. But I do worry about what my wife will do if I croak before she does. My septic service contractor is great, but I need to find a good well contractor she can rely on if she has problems.

Back