Standing water in Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work ended.. We washed the exhaust pipe of kitchen with minijet (its brand is rioned).. We made a video inspection with "dual cam" and now the pipe is like new.. Only one problem.. The pipe has been made in incorrect slope.. Maybe the plumber that made this work, wanted rewrite the physical laws..Anyhow, in this case, the kitchen tank don't unloaded, and always in this case, try with acid, is totally wrong.. the problem is not the dirty or the garbage or other.. Sorry for the quality of photos..

1393870453376.jpg

1393870476016.jpg

1393870507029.jpg

With my work, I saw a lot of drain pipes with wrong slope.. That's incredible.. No words.. This kitchen, the we washed have 5 meters in incorrect slope.. The wronged all..

The tub enamel flaked out completely around the drain and a good 1 foot past it. I brushed out all the dry flakes with a light brush and put the drain guard on. Then I used bathroom cleaner and ran the water. The tub got about 50% clean, but it flaked even more.

The drain guard keeps the flakes out of the pipe, but is slowing the flow further. Periodically, I cover the drain and removing the flakes out of the drain guard.

Will this flaking continue?

Never ever use chemical drain cleaners. They rarely work at all and are very dangerous. For $25 or less you could have purchased a 25' snake and successfully opened your drain with no damage. Your tub is ruined and will likely need to be replaced at SUBSTANTIAL COST.

I hope this thread continues to be read by anyone contemplating using a chemical drain cleaner. Unfortunately Garry26's clog is now an example of how doing a project incorrectly can lead to significantly more costly repairs. I am sorry to read about your tub Garry26, unfortunately you learned a very expensive lesson. Please consult this forum first and hopefully someone knowledgable will be available to give you timely good advise. Good luck.

What size is the common drain that the tub/ kitchen tie into? In Massachusetts you can not tie in a flat bottom fixture into a kitchen drain unless it is 3" or greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Plumdrum, I don't know what the average size is, but from under my house, it looks like my kitchen sink goes to at least a 3" drain. I haven't looked at the hookups for my bathroom sinks as they are deeper under the house. But then, I doubt much of my plumbing is actually up-to-code. Its good to know about the 3" rule though.

I don't have any photos of the plumbing since its hard to get to at the moment. I'll have to try to remember to take some photos if the weather is ok tomorrow.

The only pic I have is of the vent. You can sort of see the size of the pipe that is going under the house. The pipe is about that size as it continues underneath.
tumblr_mp5g54Zuku1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

Liquids - whether you are using something simple like bleach or vinegar, or something more complex like a chemical solution - are great to clean out the drain after the clog has been removed, and are also useful when used for regular maintenance and cleaning, but they usually will not remove a stubborn obstacle. At the very least, you must open the P-trap underneath and remove the obstruction manually. If that does not work, you will need a cabling/auguring device, also known as a "plumber's snake".

Back